Ford Transit Connect Forum

Interior cargo panels(the tan colored ones) and what paint will stick?

2016 TC XLT

I am frozen white inside but wouldn't mind painting them for better appearance.Exact match not necessary.I was even thinking of an off gray or something. What kind of paint will adhere well? Panels feel like masonite .

IMG_2252-L.jpg

IMG_2251-L.jpg

IMG_2224-L.jpg

i had mine done at an upholstery shop, nice grey door panel material, and 1/8" of foam underneath.

i installed m6 riv-nuts in the holes, and used machined stainless washers, and stainless hardware to hold them on. 

bonus was a bit of sound dampening due to the foam, little less echo chamber

Edited by Colby C

1 hour ago, MLB said:

How much?  $

Thats a weighted question......

the covering of the door cards was about $200 (maybe $175, I don't keep track well)

the stainless washers were $40 ish. Mind you, these are fully machined, solid stainless, not the cheap pressed hollow back kind that is common and easy

screws were probably $10

rivet nuts likely $20

so there's that, but I'm a mechanic, I've been using this upholsterer a decade, and he's done 50+ cars for me, so my prices aren't exactly market pricing (for my area)

i also have the riv-nut tools and that set was likely hundreds of dollars.  

So, my answer, I'm not sure haha

I like that a lot. Nice job!

Not quite sure why Ford didn't make these out of black plastic for a more finished look  instead of crappy masonite. Mine get splashed with water all the time. Starting to look stained. I should do something before they get ruined.

On 9/11/2017 at 8:09 PM, MLB said:

That's close enough. Looks nice!

thanks, it really finished off the doors. next will be panels in where the windows would be, and headliner and upper rear side walls above the black plastic pieces.

On 9/11/2017 at 8:14 PM, zalienz said:

Yea, looks really nice. :)

thank you

On 9/11/2017 at 11:46 PM, windguy said:

I like that a lot. Nice job!

Not quite sure why Ford didn't make these out of black plastic for a more finished look  instead of crappy masonite. Mine get splashed with water all the time. Starting to look stained. I should do something before they get ruined.

Dollars.

it'd be pretty easy to have them scanned and CNC routered out of ABS sheet. 

On 9/14/2017 at 4:54 AM, G B L said:

If you go into ford parts the panels are available in Black Plastic for the wagon version. They are the same as the van and look great.

thanks.

for the back barn doors only, right? not the sliders.

I'll have to scope out the parts diagrams. I think this was discussed in an older thread.

9 hours ago, G B L said:

The wagon sliders Have Full plastic panels that complete the wagon interior.  I am sure that they would fit .

thanks GBL - I may just go the cheap route and spray them black with a clear lacquer top coat. I think I already have the spray cans. I will do the primer coat with Kilz as you suggest, which is a great idea. I've used Kilz before and it's a create do-all primer for tough adhesion or cover-up applications. I'm okay with that solution, but then I scroll back on this thread and see Colby C's panels and how nice they look :confused:

Edited by windguy

On 9/17/2017 at 6:00 PM, G B L said:

Once you have Primed the panels there are lots of Automotive paints that have lots of effects.  There are wrinkle paints Speckled paints , Flocking finishes lots.

Keep us posted on what you do, don't forget the pictures

I can see how a slightly textured type of paint would be a good idea, especially for the larger slider panels, since it would be hard to get a nice even coat of spray paint over a larger area. Thanks for the tip. This will be a winter time project for me.