Ford Transit Connect Forum

How is Backup camera activated?

Tiller

Does anyone have any knowledge about the rear backup camera on the TC Titanium (2016) or similar?

A friend of mine got a new Dodge Ram truck with a rear cam and bed cam.  He can activate either one at anytime. I really wish the TC would have a way to activate the rear cam on demand.

So I was wondering how the TC's cam is wired. 

1) Is it wired so that that putting the car into reverse, turns on the cam and and the video senses the cam is on and displays the output.  OR...

2) Is it wired so that that putting the car into reverse, notifies the computer system which then powers on the rear camera?

If its case #1, then could it be possible to install a switch that would send power to the cam which the computer system/video system would sense and display the video.

Any thoughts???

Tiller

Edited by Tiller

I'm 99% sure it's computer controlled, as is everything else.  The camera stays on for a while after you put it in a forward gear, so we know the reverse selector or the back-up lights don't trigger it, or it would go away when you take it out of reverse

Don

The camera is triggered by the gear selector. There are multiple sensors and conditions that will determine if the camera turns on. For example you can select a delay so the camera stays on for a while as you drive forward then turns off at about 10 mph. All of these conditions are programmed and can be changed with new programming. But changing these features would require a lot of documentation updates like new owners manuals, service manuals etc.. Ford is not going to make this type of change. SYNC updates correct problems with the software and maybe adds new apps, but they don't change the way the vehicle functions or operates. 

Well. that's kind of a dumb thing than Don..  They have to update and review the manuals annually anyway.  New manuals can be made available easily as PDF's on the internet. Upgrades can be done as part of regular service checkups along with instructions on how to get the newest copy of the manual.  They can even offer to print it off for a fee.   It would also get people to at least visit their local Ford dealer once in a while cause they could make it so only the dealer can load new firmware and software.  Plus is would make people happy if they could get the latest and greatest.  Cause we know how crappy the sync interface is to start with.  (IMHO).  Would be nice to Ford be willing to improve it and grow it and take customer suggestions into consideration. 

It's just like upgrading your computer at home. You don't want to buy a new computer just to get the newest software.  Sometimes you have to.  But most of the time you don't.  It seems to me that Ford is missing a great opportunity to increase service visits and build brand loyalty.

I bet Tesla has regular upgrades as part of their service programs.  It wouldn't surprise me that some luxury vehicles to this as well.  And the additional cost wouldn't be that much.  They already have electronic manuals available and they are all developed on computers. Downloading software costs practically nothing.  And most of todays younger mechanics could do a firmware and software upgrades with their eyes closed.

After visiting 3 different Ford dealerships, I know it's hard to find anyone who knows very much about the Gen 2 TC's, I guess because they're made in Europe?

What bothers me most is, they don't show any interest in learning more about what they sell and service either.  My TC had a computer glitch when I got it where the passenger window would only roll up or down in 'segments' of about an inch and a half at a time  -  You had to push the switch 6 or 7 times to go all the way up or all the way down.  The dealer ordered a new window motor *assuming* that would fix it and after 3 days it came in and when they installed it, same problem.  Only then did they begin reading their books and learning anything about the vehicle.  They fixed it a couple days later, but the 5 minute fix took them a week

I wanted them to add DRL's to my TC, but they told me if it didn't come equipped with them, they couldn't be added.  I'm pretty sure a simple program change is all that's needed, but they have no interest at all in reading up on how to do it

Don

Most dealerships and their techs focus on service items like oil changes, brake jobs, and the like.  They could care less about trying to go into the vehicle's computer to program or reprogram options.  They won't even bother with calling in to their own tech support line about stuff like that.

Then that's why American car dealers will fail.  Today's car and future cars will be basically computers on wheels.  Especially the tech savvy younger generations are going to expect good user interfaces and updates to the on board systems.  It's unacceptable that patches and upgrades aren't done as part of regular checkups.

Many of the new cars, luxury cars especially, no longer have mechanical linkages like a stickshift.  Just an electronic joystick or push button. Everything is controlled by screen touch.  Those features will keep filtering down to the lower end vehicles as well.

I've not been happy with my dealer at all.  They still haven't figured out how to activate the global up window option for me.  (ticket open to FORD).  Their detail shop sucked.  The van had factory stickers on the roof that they failed to remove at delivery. They tried to repair factory installed weatherstripping that was badly installed simply by gluing the ends of it.  They used excessive adhesive that squeezed out on to the finish paint.  But they never bothered to properly seat the stripping into the frame and the rest fell out now.  Poor attention to detail.

When I was looking at it to purchase, the salesman had no idea how to put down the seats yet the van had been on the lot for over three months.  I mean honestly... how many different vehicles are you selling?  Shouldn't good sales people be on a new model or vehicle like flies on sh** when one rolls onto the lot?  It's the job!!!

20 hours ago, Beta Don said:

I wanted them to add DRL's to my TC, but they told me if it didn't come equipped with them, they couldn't be added.  I'm pretty sure a simple program change is all that's needed, but they have no interest at all in reading up on how to do it

Yes.  I would agree.  The problem is the business model.  Ford sold the car to the dealer without that option.  If the dealer now "sells" DRL to you as an aftermarket add on, how is Ford to get paid for it?  Yes, the dealer could send them a cut.  But I doubt they currently have a way to do that.

I think it's only a matter of time until you find people offering to "jailbreak" the computer systems of vehicles and activating features not purchased.  Might already be people out there somewhere doing it.

So it looks like you can upgrade Sync 3 from Ford and do it wirelessly by the owner.  I'll have to look into it some more.

That at least allows upgrades and fixes.  Still won't let me turn on my back up camera when ever I want!

1 hour ago, Tiller said:

Many of the new cars, luxury cars especially, no longer have mechanical linkages like a stickshift.  Just an electronic joystick or push button. Everything is controlled by screen touch.  Those features will keep filtering down to the lower end vehicles as well.

My sister's BMW X1 has a toggle joystick for a shifter. Took me a moment to get it in gear staring at the display for "D" to appear, operates like a sequential box shifter. In any other car, so far, I hadn't even looked at any of the controls.