Ford Transit Connect Forum

Terrible brake dust

I don't remember the brake dust being this bad on the 2014. My 2017 brake dust makes my wheels look like I live on a dirt road. I get dirty checking the tire pressure. Is it just the newness of the Ford pads, only have about 3500 miles on them? Anybody find some nice brake dirt deflector covers?

It could be the pads braking in, or Ford's changing  the pad material spec.  Be careful about the Dust covers.  They will make the brakes run hotter and that could affect the pad life and or the wheel bearing life. If is really is a bother a different set of pads would eliminate the problem.

Just checked, just over 3000 miles. 

I'm too cheap to change them out so early ;)

I'll just have to keep washing them off for now. Just wondering if anyone noticed this.

The pads will be well broken in on the trip through CO and UT mountains.

If you read here there are numerous owners that have had to replace pads well early of 10,000 miles and some needing new rotors because the pads were already gone.  Crazy bad or crazy bad drivers, not sure which.  I see people every day whose brake light never goes off and I'm sure they're some of the folks posting about the sh*tty brakes on their new XX mobile.   I'm at 3,000 miles and no noticeable brake dust buildup.  I'm lightfooted braker, try to coast to close to a stop as much as possible without pissing people off. (other car a hybrid)  How do you use them?  I'm gonna have to watch for this apparently.  ;)

Edited by MLB