Ford Transit Connect Forum

The package shelf's secrets

This XLT has a open package shelf; I've seen photos of XLT with doors on the shelf, but not on this one.

In the center of the shelf, there's a knockout that looks like it is for an overhead radio installation option. Behind it is a plastic shield to keep shelf contents away from the radio.

1. What radio option was this?
  2. Is there a power connector up there we could use for other electronics? 
  3. Failing that, what other power options are up there?
  4. Is the shelf difficult to remove/replace?

Never saw any doors on the visor shelf. The doors are on the 2nd row seats aircraft style storage bins, a special order option.

The visor shelf center was designed to have a drop down convex kiddie mirror and a sunglasses holder. I have it on my 2017 but not on my 2014, same XLT trim packages.

There is a thread that shows pictures of the back side of the removed shelf where the owner installed some power points. "Added USB power to package shelf".

Edited by Boomerweps

Wish I had my picture of the shelf; the knockout sure looks like a radio; there's left & right holes for knobs. But OK....

What I gather from gallery_5019_160_1279358.jpg

and  gallery_5019_160_2918744.jpg 

is there's no place to tap 13.8v above the shelf; we'd have to run power up the A-pillar ourselves. Correct?

Yes, you will need to run seperate power up there. Personally, I added an accessory source behind the glove box that I tapped for power. But there is a convenient pass through to the engine compartment to run a wire directly to the battery. It's at the base of the A-pillar, behind the foam you can see in the second post / third photo of the write up I did for this project a couple years ago. I have both a 12V outlet and a USB power source for dashcam, etc. up there.

20170619_182006.jpg