Ford Transit Connect Forum

Comfort and noise on long trips?

JohnnyB

I can tell you the seats on the 2012 are not all that comfy on long hauls. There not awful, but they need improvement. I have the cargo version of the 2012 and it can get a little loud when cruising down the interstate. I can not say on the second gen models as I have never been inside one. This is just my experience with the first gen models that I have. 

The original model's seats before the last facelift (-2010) were the best of the bunch. The ones with random stripe graphics that were introduced with the latest facelift were a bit flimsier.

New model's seats are superior.Comfortability on long trips is very personal and depends a lot on the person. 

My 2014 XLT SWB was and 2017 XLT LWB (both wagons) is quiet enough on road trips. The back AC fan above position 2 is annoying to me as the middle seat vent on the B pillar is too close to my ears driving.

Seats on the two are the same, fairly comfortable. My butt gets tired now in long drives, so on trips my wife and I swap out driving. I also bought a gel pad from Walmart that I use on trips. Changing out the seat position, fore and aft, and tilt, AND changing the telescoping and tilt steering wheel also helps my back and shoulders on trips.

But (pun intended) overall, the seats are average. NOTHING like my 1998 Expedition Eddie Bauer front leather seats. They had the same comfort level as sitting a sack of concrete.

I'll have a more definitive answer end of August. Making a 3200 mile trip to St George Utah from Northwestern PA via Mount Rushmore ;) 4 days out, 3 days back, with a couple weeks rest between.

Check out the most recent posts in the Buying, Leasing, Owner Impression section.

Some don't like the noise in the back of the LWB. I added insulation on all the plastic panels, but can't say how effective it was (except it makes the doors very solid).

Driver's seat in XLT is ok for me. My only complaint is the power seat goes up and back....not independent. E.g. if you want to raise the seat height it must also go back. But leg room is great.

On 7/6/2017 at 1:41 PM, Don Ridley said:

Driver's seat in XLT is ok for me. My only complaint is the power seat goes up and back....not independent. E.g. if you want to raise the seat height it must also go back. But leg room is great.

I suspect one of us (probably me) is having an 'operator error' when it comes to power seat adjustments

In our XLT  equipped with leather seats, as the seat goes back, it lowers, like it or not and as you move it forward, it raises, like it or not.  Originally, this made perfect sense to me because a driver who needs the seat forward is likely a shorter person than one who needs it farther back, so raising as you move forward makes sense . . . . or does it?  My shortish wife likes it up and forward anyway

I would rate the leather front buckets about an 8 out of 10 for comfort  -  All we use our TC for is long road trips . . . . we have electric cars for shorter trips.  The back leather 60/40 seats in ours are a bit on the 'firm' side  -  I suspect the XL cloth or vinyl versions would be more comfy

Don

• 2 weeks later...

Appreciate all the feedback, Thank you folks. I used to have an Econoline (way back) and had custom captains chairs put it, it was like sitting in your living room chair. Not sure if captains chairs would fit in a TC.

• 2 weeks later...

Other small passenger vans, such as Honda & Toyota, engineer those vehicles for comfort.  They don't even bother with a stripped down version or a cargo van version.  My opinion is that you get what you pay for.  40K would put you into a much more comfortable vehicle, van, SUV, sedan, whatever.  But at the price point of the Transit Connect, I am satisfied with what it does.  You get a vehicle a little rough around the edges, that will provide basic transportation for up to 7 passengers, and can also handle light cargo.  The Transit Connect, for me, is a lot more comfortable than a pickup truck or Econoline van.  I'm never disappointed because I do not expect luxury car comfort.

• 1 month later...

I like the seats. I'm 6-2 and it conforms nicely. Good lumbar support.

I have the cloth seats option available with an XLT Cargo Van. All manual adjustments.

For driving comfort, the center console armrest is too far back for me, but still not bad.

Road noise in a cargo van, meh. The less you have in the van the more noise and creaking you get. That's without any added insulation on the sides or ceiling other than a sheet of plywood and carpet on the cargo area floor. You get used to the road noise and adjust the radio volume accordingly. Engine seems very quiet. OEM tires too.

2nd gen seats are pretty good. I just returned from a 4300 mile road trip, and while the seats are about average, they did not kill my back like some others have.

Sound wise, I did a lot of insulating in the forward cab area, using products from B-Quiet, similar to Dynamat. I insulated the front doors, the floor, A-Pillars and the roof above the headliner. It was in conjunction with a audio system upgrade.  I was a lot of work, but I can say it is much quieter in front now. I also have a Ranger MaxView partition installed, which pretty much knocks out the sound from the cargo area. The insulating did a great job with the upper and mid frequencies, but the lower frequencies not so much. I heard a lot of road noise on rough roads through Washington State. Smooth roads are golden. Stock 16" Continental tires & wheels. Overall, pretty happy.

• 1 month later...

That is a very good looking truck :thumbsup:and I like those wheels. Are they stock? What size? (I'm a certified Wheel Whore)

I haven't done any insulating in my cargo van yet. Strange, but I sort of find the noise comforting since I have driven a lot of cargo vans over the years. It just seems natural. Different strokes for different folks I guess.