Ford Transit Connect Forum

Switching back door styles?

FDLFDC

Assuming the opening in the body is the same for both barn door and liftgate models (which is not a given, IMO) changing from one to the other would involve cutting away hinges and welding new hinges to the body.  I assume the hatch mechanism probably is in the same place for both models because on the liftgate version, the latch is offset to the left side where (I assume) it would need to be for the barn door version

Long story short, without doing a bunch of welding and repainting I doubt it would be practical to change from one style to the other

Don

Thanks for the reply Don.

It looks to me like both styles have hinges that are bolted to the body.  The liftgate on top, the barn doors on the sides.

I'm still waiting to hear from my local Ford Dealer body shop...

I would love to find the parts to change my rear barn doors from the 180 degree doors to the 270 degree doors with the magnets to hold them open.  This may also be something you may wish to consider also. The 270 doors come in real handy if you are using the rear barn doors a lot. I use mine every time I need to unload along my route each night and haing the 180 doors the wind blows them shut on me all the time. The magnets on the 270's would eliminate this problem.  Just something to consider. 

As you already figured out, there's no cutting/welding involved. But, you will need to drill-out the holes where the new hinges will go and then probably use Nutserts for the hinges to bolt into. I would actually like to go the opposite direction - switch my barn doors for a hatch, haha. I had a loaner TC Titanium at one point, so I took a bunch of pictures of the hinges, strut mounts, latch location (with tape measure for reference), but I've never gotten around to comparing the latch location with my own barn door TC. I do suspect that it's in the same spot since Beta Don mentions the hatch version also being offset left-of-center like the barn doors version. Another issue you would come across would be rear wipers & squirters (do the barn doors even have squirters? lol), you would need to extend & reroute the wiring for door electronics, including the license plate light. I have solid non-windowed doors, so I don't know anything about the wipers & squirters. 

BSUPC makes a good point about going 270* instead of 180*. If I were you, I'd look for a front or side-wrecked TC with 270* doors to get all the parts from. 

The Real question before a switch is , Did they put the reinforcing in the door opening for both sets of hinges or are they Vehicle specific.  The hinge mounting location are reinforced.

The 270 doors would be a nice feature. On the Gen 1 it looks like it is the hinge and the magnetic door stop that would be needed.  

5 hours ago, G B L said:

The 270 doors would be a nice feature. On the Gen 1 it looks like it is the hinge and the magnetic door stop that would be needed.  

I think this is all it would take to do mine. But one of these days I will probably purchase a junker 2012 from DashHub. Take the 270 doors off and put on mine, part out the rest of the junker, and then scrap yard the shell to recoupe some of my money. 

On 7/8/2017 at 0:54 PM, Beta Don said:

You two guys need to get together!  :clapping:

Park them side by side, do a little drilling and bolting, then shake hands and go your separate ways  :victory:

Don

Only problem is that 24hr Texas to California drive! My profile still says Illinois, but I moved to Texas back in November, lol. 

On 7/8/2017 at 3:27 PM, G B L said:

The Real question before a switch is , Did they put the reinforcing in the door opening for both sets of hinges or are they Vehicle specific.  The hinge mounting location are reinforced.

G B L, on my barn-door van, there's like spot welds or indents where the hinge bolt holes would be on a hatch-back van. It's 3 in a triangle shape (per side) that matched the pics I took of hatch-back hinges when I had the loaner TC Titanium. I'll have to look at my hard drive tonight and see if I can find those pics I took.