Ford Transit Connect Forum

Adding rear speakers worth it?

MLB

Cargo van, so never any rear passengers. I know they add "fill" sound, but I don't think you hear much from the rears in a normal car setup.  

If you do, do they go in the rear sliding door or back doors?

I think if I wanted a subwoofer amp, I might mount a pair of 6" subs in the rear doors for 'fill'  -  Otherwise, I don't see much advantage to rear speakers pumping out the same audio as the fronts in a two seater vehicle  -  Others may think differently of course

Don

Edited by Beta Don

You should only mess with rear speakers and subwoofers when your standard setup already sounds so good that it doesn't really need anything else done to it.

So, insulate the doors, change the speakers, all tweeters, add an amp first.

MLB, of course they will make it sound better.  We cut a hole in the bulkhead to mount our rear speakers .  They point slightly forward.  Before you put rear speakers in, you may wish to change out your front door speakers with  higher quality 5 inch speakers.  No modifications were necessary, ours fit right in.  It will probably do everything you want it to do.  If not, then install rear speakers on the bulkhead up high.  We went with a pro system but that is not necessary.  High end stuff is not cheap. The pro systems can cost $3,000.00 bucks and up.:drop:  Unless you're an audiophile it's unnecessary. :spend:

I just ordered a new radio/navigation system for my 2012 along with new front door speakers. I will be adding rear speakers to the rear barn doors later on once I figure out the size I wish to use and find a good set of marine grade speakers. The only reason for me adding the rear barn door speakers is for when I am out and about I can throw the rear doors open and turn the volume up and jam while I work.  :happyfeet:         But that is just why I will be installing them in my cargo van, not really trying to improve the sound inside while driving. 

YES. Add the speakers, especially if the wiring is already there. 

I upgraded all 4 speakers on my 2016 basic stock stereo(standard SYNC). Today I tested the sound with just the front speakers then faded in the rear. The extra sound from the rear speakers greatly improved the sound. I will eventually add a sub and amp but for now the sound is good. 

FYI, I have component speakers with crossovers up front. They definitely need more power, but I think for the money and effort, adding   a pair of $100 2-way speakers in back is a good upgrade. The stock head unit outputs about 20w per channel. 

Thanks. 
 I guess i should have clarified.  I'll be swapping in a double din touch screen to add a back up camera and the bluetooth I don't have currently.  I'll also be swapping out the stock front (component) speakers.  

NOT looking for "jammin sound", sub, amps, etc   This is my work delivery vehicle so just good enough sound is fine.  Stocker setup isn't awful to my ears but I really want the back up camera and to display cell phone nav on the display. 

• 3 years later...
On 6/25/2017 at 2:14 PM, Don Ridley said:

YES. Add the speakers, especially if the wiring is already there. 

I upgraded all 4 speakers on my 2016 basic stock stereo(standard SYNC). Today I tested the sound with just the front speakers then faded in the rear. The extra sound from the rear speakers greatly improved the sound. I will eventually add a sub and amp but for now the sound is good. 

FYI, I have component speakers with crossovers up front. They definitely need more power, but I think for the money and effort, adding   a pair of $100 2-way speakers in back is a good upgrade. The stock head unit outputs about 20w per channel. 

hello, @Don Ridley

May I ask where you found the rear Audio wires on your cargo 2016? I have been looking all over my 2019 and can’t find them! Thank you! 

Edited by damien

6 hours ago, damien said:

hello, @Don Ridley

May I ask where you found the rear Audio wires on your cargo 2016? I have been looking all over my 2019 and can’t find them! Thank you! 

I have a '20 cargo van. There are no rear speaker wires, at least not to the rear doors. Maybe there are some behind the side plastic panels. I ran my own wires to the back to the doors, but found the because the depth is so shallow the speakers would have to be spaced out about 1 1/2". I ended up putting 6" x 9"s  in my cabinets facing forward and an 8" sub on the bottom. Sounds great!

003.JPG

Edited by billet_@bellsouth.net