Ford Transit Connect Forum

New wheels and tpms

MLB

Hi, just bought a leftover 2016 XLT cargo van to get wrapped and be my delivery vehicle. 
Thrilled with how it drives and the deal I got ($8400 off sticker). 

Bought some sweet 18x8" Fusion wheels that I want to get summer tires on.  Is 215/45/18 the closest to stock specs?
 I know i want to stay close to stock diameter to not mess up some specs (abs or just the odometer?) but can I get slightly taller sidewalls for more protection and a bit more cush with the bigger wheels without messing anything important up? I don't consider the speedo reading being off a real problem.

Where is the best place to buy the set of sensors I need?  Any brand to avoid?  

Thanks!

You want the overall circumference of the tires to be very close to the stock tires  -  Transmission shift points is the most serious thing that will be affected if you stray very far from stock and that will really affect how the van drives

Easiest is to remove the OEM TPMS sensors from your stock wheels and install them in your new wheels.  You can buy new Ford compatible sensors and use those, but you'll have to reprogram the van to recognize the new sensors  -  Not that hard to do, but much easier if you buy a programming tool

Don

The oem wheels will be on in winter so I want to have sensors for both. 

I've played with gearing and wheels a LOT over the years and relatively small changes can even be advantageous if you look at the circumstances of your individual driving.  I live in the flatest of flat midwest, drive slowly and dont' carry any loads or plan to tow with it.

I'm sure I could be geared considerably higher than someone that doesn't share ALL those attributes and never notice it.

Edited by MLB

I would be careful of making any major change  -  As you gently accelerate away from a standing stop on flat level ground, the computer knows the best shift points for the little 4 cylinder powering your large van and even a relatively small change in the gear ratio by mounting larger tires will throw off that relationship between engine RPM and when the transmission shifts

A close friend bought a V-8 Chevy pick-up that the PO had mounted aftermarket wheels/tires on which he hated the look of.  He found a guy to trade him for a set of stock wheels and the difference in performance was HUGE when he got the correct size tires on it again.  If it made a big difference in a V-8 powered rig, I can imagine the change with our little four

Still, I suppose there are those who value 'the look' over everything else, performance be damned . . . . otherwise, those wheels would have never been mounted on that truck

Don

18 hours ago, Beta Don said:

You want the overall circumference of the tires to be very close to the stock tires  -  Transmission shift points is the most serious thing that will be affected if you stray very far from stock and that will really affect how the van drives

Easiest is to remove the OEM TPMS sensors from your stock wheels and install them in your new wheels.  You can buy new Ford compatible sensors and use those, but you'll have to reprogram the van to recognize the new sensors  -  Not that hard to do, but much easier if you buy a programming tool

Don

Beta Don, I've read your comment about a programming tool.  I'm interested in knowing more.  Does Ford sell one?  :headscratch:

I'm sure they probably do  -  Likely cheaper elsewhere though

With the 2014's and newer, you can program the TPMS using the dash display, but it's a bit time consuming and you have to do all 4 wheels separately, bleeding off a bit of air until the car recognizes which wheel you're doing and then of course you have to refill all the tires to the proper pressure

Don

9 hours ago, Beta Don said:

I would be careful of making any major change  -  As you gently accelerate away from a standing stop on flat level ground, the computer knows the best shift points for the little 4 cylinder powering your large van and even a relatively small change in the gear ratio by mounting larger tires will throw off that relationship between engine RPM and when the transmission shifts

A close friend bought a V-8 Chevy pick-up that the PO had mounted aftermarket wheels/tires on which he hated the look of.  He found a guy to trade him for a set of stock wheels and the difference in performance was HUGE when he got the correct size tires on it again.  If it made a big difference in a V-8 powered rig, I can imagine the change with our little four

Still, I suppose there are those who value 'the look' over everything else, performance be damned . . . . otherwise, those wheels would have never been mounted on that truck

Don

Or there are those that understand some basics of gearing and don't get the vapors about going up a size of tire!

Who said anything about "major change"?   Geez.........

Edited by MLB

16 hours ago, MLB said:

Or there are those that understand some basics of gearing and don't get the vapors about going up a size of tire!

Who said anything about "major change"?   Geez.........

Well, you did say you wanted to go from 16's to 18's so you could get taller sidewalls for more 'cush' . . . . 

If your new 18" tires have a taller sidewall than the 16" tires that came on the van, that's a pretty major change

Don

Edited by Beta Don

The tires TPMS tool is available from several company's.  When you put the TC in learn mode you trigger the sensor from the left front around the car ending at the left rear.

The tool will give you the tire pressure and the sensor Id number and the battery condition.

The 245/55/18 is 1.2 % bigger on the circumference, but gives up 23% on the side wall height .  The Change will not be great. Make sure the tires have enough of a load rating for the TC..  

On 6/17/2017 at 0:08 PM, Beta Don said:

Well, you did say you wanted to go from 16's to 18's so you could get taller sidewalls for more 'cush' . . . . 

If your new 18" tires have a taller sidewall than the 16" tires that came on the van, that's a pretty major change

Don

I quite clearly asked if the 215/45/18 was the same diameter as stock and then asked if going up "SLIGHTLY TALLER" would be a problem.

Geezzz.........

Edited by MLB

• 4 weeks later...

For anyone else looking to upsize their wheels I just looked at Discount Tire and of the different tires that come in 215/45/18 that matches the stock diameter basically, ALL 18 are rated XL (Xtra Load) at 42psi.

So no worries there.