Ford Transit Connect Forum

New wheels and tpms

MLB

Hi, just bought a leftover 2016 XLT cargo van to get wrapped and be my delivery vehicle. 
Thrilled with how it drives and the deal I got ($8400 off sticker). 

Bought some sweet 18x8" Fusion wheels that I want to get summer tires on.  Is 215/45/18 the closest to stock specs?
 I know i want to stay close to stock diameter to not mess up some specs (abs or just the odometer?) but can I get slightly taller sidewalls for more protection and a bit more cush with the bigger wheels without messing anything important up? I don't consider the speedo reading being off a real problem.

Where is the best place to buy the set of sensors I need?  Any brand to avoid?  

Thanks!

To keep the same overall size, 18" tires will all have a much shorter sidewall (less 'cush') than tires for a 16" wheel  -  Bigger wheel, less room for sidewall.  Our 55's on 16" wheels already have a pretty short sidewall

Our 55's (55% of the 215 width) have a 4.66" sidewall, the 45's (45% of the 215) have a 3.81" sidewall  -  18% shorter

The 215/45R18's are a close match to the stock 215/55R16's  - Only about 1% too big.   Probably the best match you'll find, but you won't like the sidewall height if you want more cush

https://www.tacomaworld.com/tirecalc?tires=215-55r16-215-45r18

Also, the BIG problem will be finding a tire with the proper load rating  -  Don't think you can.  Our stock 16 Continentals load rating is 97W and the best of the 215/45R18's that I see are only rated 93W  -  Meant for a car and not a van . . . . especially not a loaded van.  If you present this scenario to one of the experts at Tire Rack, they wouldn't sell you a 215/45R18 to put on a Transit Connect

The 235/45R18's you asked about in the other thread would be a much better choice for you, even though they are too big around  -  A 215 tire is pretty narrow to stretch onto an 8" wheel and with the 235's, you can get a properly load rated tire  -  There are several rated 98W, so make sure you choose one of those.  The sidewalls will still be shorter than with the stock 16's, but not as much  -  45% of 235 is taller than 45% of 215 . . . . but still less than 55% of 215

Don

Edited by Beta Don