Ford Transit Connect Forum

Transit connect/hitch hauler w/250cc scooter

Has anyone used a hitch hauler on the transit connect? I would like to haul a 350lb vespa scooter without having to haul a trailer.

If it cannot hold it on the stock hitch is there a way to upgrade the hitch so that it can?

This is the hauler Im thinking of

https://www.amazon.com/Best-Choice-Products-SKY1375-Motorcycle/dp/B00916MMJG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1497189874&sr=8-1&keywords=hitch+hauler+motorcycle

Thanks in advance.

The hitch hauler says it's rated for a Class II, III, IV or V so it should work OK with the either the OEM or aftermarket 2" hitches on the TC.  Some of the reviews on the hauler aren't that great . . . . I wouldn't expect too much from it

Don

I use my 2011 for going to car shows and such printing t-shirts and other items, my press weighs about 200 pounds (inside the van) and I carry a 3000 watt yamaha generator on the bumper that probably weighs 150 pounds when full of fuel, plus all my t-shirts plaques and other gear. I think your hitch would be ok to carry it if you have a heavy duty class three but the problem is I think you will drag a bit going over some entrances like a gas station or fast food joint. I put new shocks on mine and it helped a bit but wanted airshocks to help raise it up a bit and could not find any that would fit. Helper springs are another alternative but I did not want to have a stiffer ride than what I already have for driving around town doing odds and ends. Here is a not so good picture of when I arrived at an event. My generator is inside the wood box that doubles as a working table. I concur with Beta Don, look for a better quality hauler, you get what you pay for and the last thing you want is to see your scooter falling off.  Good luck and let us know how you make out.

van.jpg

Short answer, no.  When i've had hitch haulers in the past, all the recommendations are that you cut the tongue weight capacity in HALF if you are suspending the weight behind the vehicle as this does. 

My very heavy duty VW Touareg has a 750lb tongue weight capacity (very hight) and It sags as far as I am comfortable with my 300lb dirt bike on it.

Now way in HELL is a TC heavy enough. 2000 TOW capacity means maybe 250lb tongue capacity (weight on the hitch ball), which means 125lbs suspended............

Edited by MLB

• 2 years later...

Hello!

I just came across this forum. Finding my fellow TC brothers! I have a 2010 TC XLT which I converted to a camper about 4 years ago. Love it. Have traveled at least 6 months in it, all along the pacific coast, down to Mexico, up to Canada and have dipped my toe in Arizona/Utah. From California. 

Question. I have a less than 300lb Kymko 150cc Scooter. 1.) Can we put a tow hitch on the back of a TC? 2.) Think it can manage the scoot? Combing my TC world and my scooter world I would be in heaven. Looks like the Scooter is probably about 6" wider than each side view mirror. Not sure if that would impact legality or anything else. 

I'm not mechanically inclined, nor an engineer so hoping someone with the know how has some clear answers. 

Something like this would be ideal. 

https://www.amazon.com/Black-Widow-MX-600X-SteelMotorcycleCarrier-600lb-Capacity/dp/B002MGKN2A/ref=sr_1_4?dchild=1&keywords=scooter+hitch+carrier&qid=1590622644&sr=8-4

Thank you in advance. 

David 

• 2 weeks later...

As best as Irecall, hitch weight when towing a trailer should NOT exceed 10% of tow weight. IE: 2000lb tow limit = 200lb hitch wt limit.

And as someone else pointed out, if you're hanging all the weight above & behind the hitch, the allowed weight is cut in half !

• 2 months later...

Hanging the weight further back than the hitch ball means that distance acts as a lever and increases force pulling the back down. 

I'm 220lbs and when I step on the back of the van I compress the springs rather more than I'd like.  It's a softly sprung vehicle in general, despite it's hauling capacity.  That's why the ride is decent for a van. 

There are few hitch haulers that are a cradle for the front wheel only and the rear is on the ground, rolling on it's own. That takes most of the weight off the hitch and would work with a light van like this.  

Or tow a small trailer. Guarantee you won't be happy if you try hanging it behind a TC.

Edited by MLB