Welcome to the Ford Transit Connect Forum

Welcome to the Ford Transit Connect Forum - the largest Ford Transit forum discussion board.  Like most online communities, you must register to post and take advantage of other features that this community has to offer, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford Transit Connect Forum by signing in or creating an account.
• Receive special product discounts
• Invitations to events
• Start new topics and reply to others
• Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
• Get your own profile page and make new friends
• Send personal messages to other members
• Create an album and post photos. . .More!

Click here to create an account now.

transit connect guest message logo.png

•  
    Custom Search

Sign in to follow this  
DPL646

Transit connect/hitch hauler w/250cc scooter

Has anyone used a hitch hauler on the transit connect? I would like to haul a 350lb vespa scooter without having to haul a trailer.

If it cannot hold it on the stock hitch is there a way to upgrade the hitch so that it can?

This is the hauler Im thinking of

https://www.amazon.com/Best-Choice-Products-SKY1375-Motorcycle/dp/B00916MMJG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1497189874&sr=8-1&keywords=hitch+hauler+motorcycle

Thanks in advance.

The hitch hauler says it's rated for a Class II, III, IV or V so it should work OK with the either the OEM or aftermarket 2" hitches on the TC.  Some of the reviews on the hauler aren't that great . . . . I wouldn't expect too much from it

Don

I use my 2011 for going to car shows and such printing t-shirts and other items, my press weighs about 200 pounds (inside the van) and I carry a 3000 watt yamaha generator on the bumper that probably weighs 150 pounds when full of fuel, plus all my t-shirts plaques and other gear. I think your hitch would be ok to carry it if you have a heavy duty class three but the problem is I think you will drag a bit going over some entrances like a gas station or fast food joint. I put new shocks on mine and it helped a bit but wanted airshocks to help raise it up a bit and could not find any that would fit. Helper springs are another alternative but I did not want to have a stiffer ride than what I already have for driving around town doing odds and ends. Here is a not so good picture of when I arrived at an event. My generator is inside the wood box that doubles as a working table. I concur with Beta Don, look for a better quality hauler, you get what you pay for and the last thing you want is to see your scooter falling off.  Good luck and let us know how you make out.

van.jpg

MLB    3

Short answer, no.  When i've had hitch haulers in the past, all the recommendations are that you cut the tongue weight capacity in HALF if you are suspending the weight behind the vehicle as this does. 

My very heavy duty VW Touareg has a 750lb tongue weight capacity (very hight) and It sags as far as I am comfortable with my 300lb dirt bike on it.

Now way in HELL is a TC heavy enough. 2000 TOW capacity means maybe 250lb tongue capacity (weight on the hitch ball), which means 125lbs suspended............

Edited by MLB