Ford Transit Connect Forum

First road trip in the new 2017 LWB

If you are going to respond to a mpg thread, please have courtesy (and the brain power) to work that little calculator on each and every cell phone made and FIGURE THE DAMN MILEAGE EXACTLY.

The trip calculater is consistantly .5 - 1.5 mpg HIGH over actual useage.  Posting numbers from your computer is completely worthless.

Edited by MLB

Yes please:

1. Exactly measure the amount of fuel consumed. Drain the tank, fill and measure how much is left.

2. Exactly measure the distance travelled. An independent, calibrated device should be used. Your odometer cannot be trusted.

3. Calculate the mpg only after 3 similar, independent trips. Report the average for statistical accuracy.

A standard, if it is consistently off by a set amount, is still a standard.

lots of other variables to account for or disregard. Does the pump shut off, stop filling, when the tank is truely full? How many extra squeezes on the filler after auto shutoff? 

Sometimes, ballpark estimates are adaquate.

PERFECT is the enemy of good enough. Old Russian Army proverb.

My previous experiences with Ford trip computer's mileage estimates have been pretty close, most often within .5mpg, when compared to my manual calculations. So I rarely bother to manually calculate exact mpg anymore. Just not that important to me. Observing driver controlled variables, along with speeds, loads, and terrain variables, affecting mileage, even trip computer calculated, however can be informative.

Edited by Boomerweps

I cared to play with Fuelly for the first thousand miles, double checked the calculations, filled up at the same pump and every single gas fill-up was displayed precisely on the trip computer. So, for me it's precise enough to trust it completely. The same with all cars I have owned. Only one Civic displayed exactly half a liter less than the actual consumption. Absolute half a liter, not a fraction of consumption.

• 3 months later...

Love hearing about the trips.  Hope to set out on the road this spring and make some longer trips.  Have a son in San Jose who may be going to Portland or maybe somewhere else so need to visit.  If Portland will have to haul my Kawasaki Ninja.  If the Mrs. votes to stay home I'll leave the TC and just take the Ninja.  

In response to Booomerweps question about roof racks found this on eBay:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/FORD-TRANSIT-ALUMINUM-TOP-ROOF-RACK-CROSS-BARS-CROSS-RAILS-2014-2017/302025457407?_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIM.MBE%26ao%3D2%26asc%3D41375%26meid%3Df1554996d0a148eab30f002b09e1b6f0%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D5%26rkt%3D6%26sd%3D182427086757&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851

Looks like a set of crossbars which will fit TC Vans with the factors rails.  Think the 17's come with them standard at least on the XLT and Titanium.  My 16 has the roof rails but didn't come with the crossbars.  Looks like this will fit mine and the 17's.