Ford Transit Connect Forum

Turn off exterior lights

Hi - I have a 2016 Transit Connect Passenger Wagon LWB. I use it at dog shows. I often leave the back liftgate up and/or a side sliding door open. I notice that the exterior lights stay on when I do this. The headlight control is in the off position, and the key is not in the ignition. It's awfully annoying for the lights to stay on. Too many people (nicely) mention that my lights are on. Anyone know how to make them turn off? Thanks! Cheryl, Oregon

• 1 month later...

Hi Cheryl,

It's an incredibly frustrating feature, but if you push the turn signal forward twice, the lights go off......until you open another door.  I was camping last week and it drove me mad to keep having the lights come on, and I was concerned about my battery dying.  . If you search for "Disable Perimeter Lighting" above,  you'll see there are a lot of us FTC owners who are frustrated by this feature.    I'll keep reading the forum with the hopes that someone, some day, will figure out a workaround.  

Connie in Portland

Believe me, those lights are not going to kill the battery, they only stay on for 10 or maybe even 15 minutes. I fairly regularly have the radio running for 3-4 hours while working outside or being at the drive-in and not even that drains the battery to the point where I can't start the van. That said, the perimeter lights are a severe annoyance! I haven't tried Connie's "click forward twice" method, I only go forward once and then backward once on the turn signal stalk, usually no lights will turn on if I open more doors that way. But, sometimes they will come on again if I open, close & reopen the same door, but not always. Very weird & of course stupid!

I haven't brought it into a Ford dealer yet to try to convince them to turn the dumb feature off, lol. I also need to get the "lamp out reminder" thing turned off since I have switched to all LED bulbs in back although I still need to convert the front bulbs. Now my van thinks some bulbs are burnt-out, so it does hyperflash for turn signals. I could buy resistors, but the better option is just getting them to turn the hyperflash off, it's not like I'll ever go back to incandescent bulbs. Too bad the special Ford computer is so expensive (roughly $8000) otherwise I'd try to get one of my own and do this stuff myself, lol. 

1 hour ago, jrm223 said:

I haven't brought it into a Ford dealer yet to try to convince them to turn the dumb feature off, lol. 

I asked my dealer to turn off the feature. They said it's a safety feature and can't be turned off.

You're also in Europe, dealers might be more lenient about it on this side of the pond. Even so, I can't see how perimeter lights on a parked vehicle are much of a "safety feature" - personally, I think they were just telling you some BS to get you out of the shop so they don't have to mess around with it.

• 4 years later...
On 7/13/2017 at 6:55 AM, reid said:

with the doors open turn the key on and off

?this is the answer every camper is looking for! Unlike the headlamp toggle it keeps the running lights from coming on again when another door is opened ... but it only lasts for a while.

Edited by Ben Obo
It only lasted for a cup of tea