Ford Transit Connect Forum

Ford F-Series Hit Best May in 13 Years; Ford Brand SUVs Set Record -- up 4.2 percent; Average Transaction Prices Up Substantially; Company's U.S. Sales Up 2.2 Percent

Hmmmm, Ford Transit Connect sales were down 26.8% year to date compared to 2016.  I don't suppose there's anyway to know for sure but I'm wondering what others think the reason might be. 

The fact that they were unable to steal the market away from other mini van producers who have way better options for soccer moms. And with the Transit out in the market, companies have a better choice to choose from to fit their needs. I am starting to see a lot more Transits on the road here than TC's in the work van market. But I think Ford will take note and make changes where needed to keep up with the soccer mom demands. 

Interesting thought BSUPC, soccer mom demands could well be a big factor.  I'm wondering too if the European market experienced the same drop in demand. Likely those of you who have been here longer know more about the reasons Ford dropped the tall model.  To me the tall van was a good innovation for a small work or delivery truck, especially for urban areas.  Which manufacturers still make the tall models and why?  I don't know for sure, but it seems to me there is a market still there for the taller van.  I suppose I just like them and I'm wondering why Ford doesn't. Now, even the shorter TC is dropping sales.  From what I'm reading here owners of the Gen 2 TC's really do like them.  

1 hour ago, Loafer said:

reasons Ford dropped the tall model.  

To appeal more to the soccer moms and general public more than the business world. They noticed that with the 2010-2013 design they were selling mainly to the business world and not the soccer moms. So they changed it up and tried to jump into the soccer mom taxi game with a vehicle that has already made a name for itself as being a work van. Really it was not a smart move at all. Would have been smarter to keep the tall design and make a new body style for the soccer moms with its own name. 

Must be the water in Dearborn.  I don't think we have seen the last of the tall vans.  I'm not sure who will build them.  I suppose we will have to look to Europe for future innovations.  Ford, Chevy, and Dodge seem to have lost their mojo with respect to tall work vans.  I'm curious as to who might step in.  I suspect that finance and insurance played a roll as well for some people.  Mercedes is still building theirs I believe, but they can be pricey.  It could be that aftermarket is the answer, not sure.  It will be interesting to watch. 

Ford does have the Ford Transit. You can get it in a 150, 250, 350, SWB, LWB and a low, medium, and high roof.  But they are all way bigger than the transit connects. I think the 350 LWB High Roof version has a cargo capacity of like 10,100 lbs.  But if you are like me, the 150 is 3 times bigger than what I need. I would love to see a 2018 Ford Transit Connect return in the body style of the 2012 tc but with major upgrades in the cabin and some nice tech. I would probably trade mine in for a new one if they did that.