Ford Transit Connect Forum

Ecoboost Mods that Fit From Other Applications

James Stanley

I've just started to modify my connect, and I've started with just a couple of small things under the hood.

1. Focus RS Air Box: Before anyone goes and points out that the lid dosen't seal to the bottom of the hood, look at the K&N air filters with the open ends, same effect, hot air. Simple fix, drive faster. lol. It is a very noticeable increase in throttle response and overall performance. Probably less than 5hp, but still noticeable. I've also noticed about a 3mpg increase since the installation which includes a K&N Air filter. 

Price: ~$60.00
Link: http://www.trueblueracingparts.com/16-FORD-FOCUS-RS-AIRBOX_p_555.html 

The air box comes with an OEM paper air filter, but any 2012+ ford focus air filter will work as they are all the same. Standard, ST, RS, all identical. Pick your poison. 

2. Mountune Silicone Induction Hose: The red thing. Didn't really notice any real increase with this, but just by observation alone, this piece will create far less turbulence than the OEM rubber corrugated hose. I say it adds visual horsepower, because we all know, red stuff under the hood means power. lol

Price: ~$69.00
Link: https://www.mountuneusa.com/mountune-High-Flow-Induction-Hose-Focus-ST-p/2363-ih-blk.htm

3. Fiesta ST Engine Cover; It was a direct fit. I hated the original engine cover. So boring. Since it's the identical engine as the FiST anyways, less the tune, might was well wear the proper hat. 

Price: ~$45.00
Link: https://www.powerstrokeplus.com/oem-parts/ford-engine-cover-c1bz6a949b?origin=pla&gclid=Cj0KEQjwmcTJBRCYirao6oWPyMsBEiQA9hQPbu8PPdPHVm4Xbt085j2FpE4qswgd8lHAapEyIMiWqOUaAifB8P8HAQ

4. Boomba Bypass Valve Adapter for Fiesta ST: Simple and easy install with only three bolts. I didn't even have to remove the wheel to get to it. Now my van goes PSSSHHHHH and everyone that hears it looks so incredibly confused. I love it! I will say, that since the bypass valve is electronically controlled, it does go off a bit too much. It's sensitive enough to blow off in my driveway in the morning at idle when it goes from cold to warm cycle. Turbosmart does make one for the Fiesta ST that will also bolt up, but converts it to vacuum controlled versus electronic. 

Price: ~$85.00
Link: http://www.boombaracing.com/1-5-1-6-ecoboost-engine-50-50-blow-off-valve-adapter-bov/

From what I've gathered, I can see that it's a Fiesta ST Engine in a Focus engine bay. More parts are on their way, but I won't post until I confirm fitment. 

_JRS3605.jpg

Edited by James Stanley

• 3 months later...
  • 7 months later...

This got me thinking and researching for days, i hope they don't monitor my internet traffic at work.  looking at the intercooler and hard pipe kit from Mountune or just a Cobb intercooler that's free HP. the size and mounts look close to the transit connect.  Also, want the Catch cans for sure.  I will be getting the K&N for sure. 

http://www.mountuneusa.com/mountune-complete-Intercooler-Upgrade-Fiesta-ST-p/2364-ick-aa.htm

https://www.cobbtuning.com/products/cooling/ford-front-mount-intercooler-kit-fiesta-st-2014-201

https://www.knfilters.com/search/product.aspx?prod=57S-4000&vw=all 

• 2 weeks later...

I have done some research and trying to find out if the intercoolers are the same. spoke with Cobb Tunning and they could not confirm but sent me the engineers print! I went to Ford's website and looked up the intercooler for the Fiesta 1.6l and the EcoBoost to see if they were the same, sure enough on their website they are listed as the same part number. as soon as i can pony up, after springs and other mods, I'm going to get the Cobb intercooler. 

2018-05-15 10-18-58_Intercooler _ FordUS.jpg

2018-05-15 10-21-01_Intercooler _ FordUS.jpg

FOR-002-001_A00.PDF

On 4/14/2017 at 1:49 PM, Don Ridley said:

For the few TC owners with 1.6L ecoboost engines there is a simple plug-in upgrade that will increase performance. The device plugs into the boost pressure sensor and allows the turbo boost pressure to be increased. The stock ecoboost tune shuts down the boost when the pressure is around 15 psi (per my brief testing).  The boost module rescales the boost pressure signal so the ECU thinks 18 or 19 psi is the 14 psi shut down point.  This is simple and effective. This increases torque and horsepower without modifying anything in the ECU. It leaves no warranty- voiding or emissions test-failing trace and installs in minutes. 

I wanted to install the Turbo Transformer, but it was out of stock and the company owner recommend a similar product by Flowmaster. I suspect Flowmaster may have purchased the technology from Turbo Transformer because the products are identical. I bought the Flowmaster Delta Boost Module.

http://turbotransformer.com/

http://www.flowmastermufflers.com/performance-tuners/18102-flowmaster-delta-boost-module/?make=&year1=&model=&submodel=&engine=&category=&kw

The most difficult part of the installation was locating the turbo boost pressure sensor. It is located in front of the left front wheel by the bottom of the radiator. Unplug the connector on the sensor and insert the Delta Boost Module. Tie wrap the box out of harms way. A phone app allows you to set the unit in valet, standard, sport or MAX mode. The app is clunky but it works.

I made several 1/4 mile runs in various modes.  THIS DATA IS NOT EXACT. The first, stock, runs were done a week prior and the other runs were on a windy day and I averaged runs to account for changes in wind and travel direction. Additionally the first run was on 87 octane and others were 91. I used an OBDII app for all measurements with the transmission in "S" mode with auto-shifting. 

0-60                   1/4 MILE             BOOST(psi)

Stock (87octane)    9.4                      17.3                    14.5

STANDARD mode 10.07                  18.1

MAX mode             9.0                      17.0                     19.2

It is clear from driving the van that the extra boost increases horsepower and torque. I have driven about 2 weeks in the SPORT mode and it gives the van a noticeable boost without requiring 91 octane (Flow master warns that MAX mode must use 91). There is no pinging or other problems from using the module because the ECU properly controls all the functions required to properly run the engine. This modification gives you measurable gains. I have no desire to modify the tune, or the exhaust or the air intake but this modification is easy, effective and quickly reversible.

FYI, I did not do a lot of test runs due to safety and logistic issues. Plus, I don't care about the exact numbers, I only wanted to see if there were relative, measurable differences.

Now if Ford would only bring back the 1.6L engine to the US Transit Connect market....

?

• 4 weeks later...

I installed this last night. Took longer to get my tools out than it did to install. 

I noticed in the above post the filter box was left open. This filter has a rubber plug on it. While I understand the sealed box, I wonder if leaving the plug off would make a difference like the open box lid. 

EE18DCCF-84CE-4E28-A0E1-99A3F8ACE995.jpeg

40584A5A-23E5-4947-A93C-E3D21FCD1BDA.jpeg

4582074D-5A6C-4707-9BFE-39EEC60A1D9B.jpeg

Edited by Project bike truck

The Focus RS air box is designed to cover the hole on top when the hood is closed (this is does not work on the TC because the hood is too far away). The big hole is for greater air flow when being tested on a dyno with the hood opened. The smaller opening on the front will draw some air from the engine compartment but it seems it is there just to make the engine and turbo sound louder/better.

22 hours ago, PhotoAl said:

If the round plug is left off, air will bypass filter 

Where the plug is on the end of the filter, it has filter media. It would only draw warm air from the engine compartment. I was wondering if the intercooler would be able to compensate for

the potential warm air.  

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The Fiesta and TC have similar part numbers for the intercooler. I assumed they were functionally the same...this was a mistake. I ordered the Cobb intercooler for a Fiesta and it is not close to fitting or working.

1. The Fiesta IC mounts differently and it's location allows for a much larger, wider unit to be installed.

2. The TC intercooler mounts between frame rails that limit the width... unlike the Fiesta.

3. The TC IC has two ports on the outlet, one for the MAP sensor and another for an evap line.

I removed the stock TC and measured all clearances. The only TC that will fit is a Mishimoto Z-Series. I ordered one and will have the necessary ports installed by a machine shop. Look for a separate post on the install soon.