Ford Transit Connect Forum

Roof rack cross bars?

I don't think there is a cheap solution. Roof rack accessories (Thule, Yakima etc.) are expensive. At a minimum you will need 4 towers and 2 bars. You can find the exact parts required using the Thule or Yakima website, but my guess is you will spend at least $400. But  there are a lot of options (aero bars etc). I think the factory Thule rack was a $250 option if ordered with the vehicle.

My only advice is to decide how you will use the bars and buy the right ones. If you need all the fancy mounting devices for bikes, boats and boards, then buy the rack system (square bar, aero bar etc.) that gives you that flexibility. But if you just need bars to strap wood and ladders to, look for the old style round bar system (Yakima) and the appropriate towers.  

Congratulations on your new TC! 

I saw a 4' pair of universal roof rack cross bars at WalMart today for $79.95.  They're designed to mount on cars which came with rails but no cross bars.  *If* they'll adapt to your Ford rails, they may be the inexpensive solution you're looking for

If you Google 'Walmart roof rack cross bars' you'll find they have half a dozen different offerings, all reasonably priced.  The round ones were the ones I saw in the store, but there are other ones that look even more promising

Don

Edited by Beta Don

14 hours ago, Beta Don said:

I saw a 4' pair of universal roof rack cross bars at WalMart today for $79.95.  They're designed to mount on cars which came with rails but no cross bars.  *If* they'll adapt to your Ford rails, they may be the inexpensive solution you're looking for

If you Google 'Walmart roof rack cross bars' you'll find they have half a dozen different offerings, all reasonably priced.  The round ones were the ones I saw in the store, but there are other ones that look even more promising

Don

I saw them, too. The ones I saw had a bottom clamp that goes around an exposed rail. The rails on the TC are solid and the factory bars must clamp by grabbing the inside lip on the rails. Think I'm going to cause a fuss at the dealers at my followup visit about the crossbars.

Good news. I received my Curt Hitch receiver today. Wiring harness due in mid week. Great installation videos on Utube for both. 

Edited by Boomerweps