Ford Transit Connect Forum

Made progress this weekend and replaced the engine

dinocarsfast

I had some fun this weekend.... and made more progress on my camper build but I am still doing preliminary work getting the van operational.  I was not able to start the old engine and test the electronics yet because I haven't gotten the Ford IDS scan tool and software yet but I went ahead and replaced the engine since cylinder 4 had a bent rod :cry:

Luckily changing the engine went straight forward and I have it mostly buttoned up at this point. Currently I am waiting to see if initializing the keys to the car solves my last problem until I find something else wrong with the car. I really hope I don't have to many more problems and repair costs don't blow up to big and dip into my traveling funds but that's the way it goes sometimes, oh well.

P1030233_zpsbofprn9i.jpg

P1030240_zpsmt11yumv.jpg

P1030243_zpssvebatqd.jpg

P1030244_zpsjt3ny9un.jpg

Edited by dinocarsfast

Wow. I do all of my own repair work, but when it comes to swapping out the whole engine someone else is doing it.   lol .        But I am glad you snapped some pictures of the front end apart like that. I was wondering what these little vans looked like all tore apart on the front. You are the man tackling all of that on your own. 

Thanks but it was really straight forward, the weirdest thing that I found was how the AC compressor seems to be mounted without a spring belt tensioner and no way to adjust tension.

I was once a BMW master technician before I went to college.  I have constantly been working with my hands since then too so they dont lose their ability.  But I knew what I was getting into when I bought this since I have recently learned that I can save a lot of money if I buy it broken and do the repairs myself

Being able to fix it yourself is a awesome feeling. I am just a DIY weekend warrior, but I love tinkering with stuff. But I have yet to figure out how the manufacture puts these cars together with all these nuts and bolts, yet I can take it apart and put it all back together with at least 4 or 5 extra bolts left over.   lol