Ford Transit Connect Forum

I'm seeking advice on the best fire extinguisher and mounting system for the Ford Transit Connect.  I'm also interested in where it is mounted.  Also, since the Transit Connect Cargo is considered a commercial vehicle are there any standards or requirements regarding fire extinguishers.  Thanks.

I have mine on the floor just in front ot the drivers seat. I have the seat positioned all the way to the rear and rarely need to adjust it so there's room right in front of the slide adjustment handle. The extinguicher was bought at an auto parts store so the supplied bracket included coarse velro intended to grab the carpeting. It works well at holding it in place yet can be easily removed if I do need to move the seat.

Thanks Don, that's a good thought, I'll do that.    A smaller two and a half pound extinguisher would probably work there.  I'm also going to place one somewhere on the bulkhead above the elevated bed.  I'm having some trouble finding a bracket suitable for secure mounting in a horizontal position.  I did find one with double straps made for aircraft that may work.  I believe I'll go with the ABC rated extinguishers and hopefully will never need it.  I'm particularly concerned because I have an installed stereo that requires both an amplifier and a smaller battery which are placed under the elevated sleeping area.  Plus I have a fan that will plug into one of the dc outlets.  I'll be finishing it all up this week and my son and his lady are heading to Cali with it. 

Thanks Don I'll look them up.  Today I bought a dual pack of Kidde 1A10BC's.  I'll mount them temporarily then locate a better bracket and remount them.  Interestingly, I also researched the best dual smoke alarm, fire and smoke, for a camper.  It seems the choice of one article written by a veteran fireman was the Kidde Pi9010.  I called Kidde and that was their recommendation too.  I'm glad this site is active.  It really helps to share info and see what others think or have experienced as well.  For carbon monoxide I'm using the Atwood CSA6.19-01 which Atwood indicates  is suitable for RV's.  Because of the pro stereo system, I have a second battery which is connected and stored in the cargo area of the Connect.  Today I placed it into a battery box for added fire safety.  My large amp is currently bolted to a birch barrier protecting the box speakers from the cargo area.  I'm currently looking for the best fireproof material to fit between the amp from the birch.. I'm wondering if there are any other safety considerations that I have overlooked that are specific to the Connect. I am aware of the front window flares and am thinking my way through that at this time.  My thoughts run toward special lenses for a pair of glasses, but that is just speculation at this time.  Anyway, thanks again for your suggestion. 

As a former Firefighter myself I will second the Kiddie for the detectors. They do what they need to do and do it well.  As far as the extinguisher goes, any of the ABC rated ones will do. And I am actually glad you posted this, as I have been putting off putting one in my van since 2012. Guess I better get on that.