Ford Transit Connect Forum

A bit dissatisfiedwith the tires and brakes,anyone else?

Hey guys, so I've had my TC for about a year, and 24,000 miles later, my overall experience is not negative. Having said that, I do have a couple of complaints: tires and brakes. Tire noise is almost unbearable! Forget about using the bluetooth, no one will hear ya, and it also seems that air escapes easily, i need to keep on refilling them or the TPMS will light up, and I haven't even hit any potholes. Also the front brake pads had to be changed at 22,000 miles cause they were down to zero. I am extremely gentle on the brakes, so I was surprised they had to be changed so soon, I have another car with 70K original miles and I am still running on the original pads. Am I the only one with these issues?

I changed my wheels to black aftermarket wheels. That fixed the brake dust problem. It's not that you can't see the dust on black as much but they are aero dynamically different than stamped steel wheels and really the dust does not stick to them. My front pads made it to 42k. miles before replacement.

• 10 months later...

I like the Continental tires that came on mine. They ride smooth, don't create much road noise, and hold pressure well. Hope to get over 40K miles out of them. My only complaint is they capture and hold too many rocks and pebbles.

I agree, I noticed a lot of small stone/gravel pebbles cought in the treads of the tires. Always picking them out with my house key? If I save them all, I wonder how many pounds i would in a year??? Lol.

Me three. Lots of stones stuck in the tread.

My Continentals seem about half gone at 20,000 miles. Not bad, but not great either. I have zero air pressure loss, and do not notice any of the excessive noise mentioned by others. (Of course, I suspect that may depend a lot on expectation levels too.)

My brakes don't seem to be wearing as fast as some others are. I normally do not haul heavy loads though, so that may be the difference. I do get a lot of brake dust, but wear is moderate.

Edited by Willie

The Continentals get louder as they get older in my experience. I am at 42,000 miles and still on the original tires. I'm hoping to get them replaced very soon as they are close to the tread wear bars (fleet maint. co. won't replace them until then). But the tire shop guy said they might have to put on the same tires because apparently these tires have a reinforced sidewall (due to the load rating)??

IMO these tires suck on anything other than flat, level, dry pavement. I too had lots of rocks stuck in the tread, but as the tread has gotten shallower that problem went away. Also, they do seem to lose air, and attract screws and nails. I've had more tire repairs on the tires on this van than I think I've ever had on any other vehicle I've owned or driven, combined.

The front brake pads now have an upgraded part number, my brakes wore out fairly quick and so far the newer pads seem better.