Welcome to the Ford Transit Connect Forum

Welcome to the Ford Transit Connect Forum - the largest Ford Transit forum discussion board.  Like most online communities, you must register to post and take advantage of other features that this community has to offer, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford Transit Connect Forum by signing in or creating an account.
• Receive special product discounts
• Invitations to events
• Start new topics and reply to others
• Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
• Get your own profile page and make new friends
• Send personal messages to other members
• Create an album and post photos. . .More!

Click here to create an account now.

transit connect guest message logo.png

•  
    Custom Search

MichaelD

Wheel Size Question

Had the 275/45R16s mounted today on the16x7 Volvo rims without issue and they look pretty good. In and out at the tire shop 15 minutes flat. I'm working on a scheme whereby I can run them both on the TC and the Outback since they use very similar size tires & wheels albeit different bolt patterns. Waiting on the front tires and some custom made adapters from Australia. 

Posted (edited)

275/45R16 on the back and 225/55R16 on the front. There is nothing remotely practical about this setup, but these things ride like silk and stick to the road like glue. Heavy rain....maybe not so much. They look really good on the Outback too.

image.png.c965275c05ef5be25b09f58f89862d47.pngimage.png.0a34cab42e4c8b7b4ca129a752bd8071.pngimage.png.786f339e9a83e4c96ce47e86c2a319e8.png

Edited by OLDSCHOOLFOOL

I wish these were RWL sooooo baad.

18 minutes ago, mrtn said:

I wish these were RWL sooooo baad.

Indeed I do. So far I have only found two wide 16 inch tires (I don't really consider 245 or 255 wide) that I can get up under there without modification. I have the other one too waiting to go on but I have some work to get the front offset in a better place.

I'm sorry, but huge wide tires on the back of any FWD vehicle makes about as much sense to me as the HUGE wings you see bolted to the trunk on some of the little FWD Japanese imports  -  Do they really need all that extra traction out back??  Now, if you can just add a little 'fart can' muffler to your TC (and maybe a wing too?) you'll be all set  :clapping:

I know, I know  -  You already admitted it makes no sense and that it's just 'your thing' but that doesn't stop me from shaking my head whenever I see such a vehicle pass me by on the road.  But, by all means, do your own thing even if it doesn't make a lick of sense (to me) . . . . it sure relieves the boredom and keeps the world interesting!!  :victory: . . . . . plus it's great for the economy  -  Look at all the tires and wheels you've bought over the past year or so to achieve this 'look'  :spend:

Don

1 hour ago, Beta Don said:

Now, if you can just add a little 'fart can' muffler to your TC (and maybe a wing too?) you'll be all set  :clapping:

I was thinking more along the lines of a roof spoiler and leg pipes..........

And I shake my head every time I pass a vehicle with all rim diameter and no tire.....looking like a Conestoga wagon rolling down the road. But, to each his own.

Or the vehicles with the wheels cambered out so far they're riding on one edge of the tread area.

Or glass tinted so dark I can't see the finger I KNOW they're flipping at me.  I know they are because they had to tailgate me for 30 seconds doing the speed limit (on the interstate), waiting for a gap in traffic ... you can tell they're just seething when they pass!!!

4 hours ago, Mike Chell said:

Or the vehicles with the wheels cambered out so far they're riding on one edge of the tread area.

I really don't get this one. To me it just looks like something is broken, I just can't figure out what the "goal" is. Is it to help with the "rolled fender" look? Maybe that's not the right term, I don't know. I have seen some really tight fits around the fenders and while its not my thing it has an interesting kind of effect. How some manage to even turn the front wheel without chewing up some fender has me puzzled.

But not the camber thing, that just looks broke. And you know its just got to run thru some tires REAL quick.

My understanding is, the extreme camber helps with "Drifting", which is destructive to tires anyway.

If you watch a drifting video, tire destruction is not anywhere in the thought process.  The main parts are smoke and a good selfie video.

9 hours ago, G B L said:

If you watch a drifting video, tire destruction is not anywhere in the thought process.  The main parts are smoke and a good selfie video.

Actually, I can sort of relate to the smoke part. Once upon a time, in a land far, far away, used to date this chickie (young lady would be quite a stretch) and we would go to the drag races and her thing was watching the burnouts. Not the races. And Chevy II Novas in particular. When I say she had a thing with the burnouts, man I mean she had a THING! The real race was back to the apartment! :love_shower: Thank God there is no video evidence.