Welcome to the Ford Transit Connect Forum

Welcome to the Ford Transit Connect Forum - the largest Ford Transit forum discussion board.  Like most online communities, you must register to post and take advantage of other features that this community has to offer, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford Transit Connect Forum by signing in or creating an account.
• Receive special product discounts
• Invitations to events
• Start new topics and reply to others
• Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
• Get your own profile page and make new friends
• Send personal messages to other members
• Create an album and post photos. . .More!

Click here to create an account now.

transit connect guest message logo.png

•  
    Custom Search

MichaelD

Wheel Size Question

47 minutes ago, Beta Don said:

I *like* the look of those!  -  They really made a dramatic change in the look of the van.  Very similar to what I've got on mine  :victory:

I changed out my steel wheels & hubcaps for a set of 16 X 7 Ford Focus alloy wheels (from a 2012 I think) and mounted my OEM Continentals on them, re-using the original TPMS sensors

Don

P1000347.jpg

Those are similar indeed!

The Volvo wheels don't quite do what I really want which is to go wider. The specs are almost identical to the stock wheels on the van except they are 7s not 6 1/2s. I would have preferred a little less offset. I could pack them out with spacers I suppose but I probably won't. But they are just temporary, about half life left on the tires and they're not load rated properly for the van. They ride nice though and I didn't have to mount or balance them nor did I pay much for them. The Conti-Pros managed to get about 700 miles on them........which is a lot for me......cause I hate stock steels with hubcaps.

If you want wider I just picked up a set of 2013 Escape rims that are 17 x 7.5J 

I am mostly interested in 16" steelies for the Cleveland winter I would trade straight up or even pay on top for the 16s

IMG_20171008_153306205_HDR.jpg

Tire Rack Has steel 16"OE Rims for $62.00 ea 

I already have these ones though.  I would rather not duplicate the expenses.  I have another 10 weeks before it snows here.

If you're purchasing wheels originally intended for  a different Ford or Volvo I'd pay close attention to the load stamped on the back. I've found a good amount do not meet the load cap of the TC.

Edited by jeru574

Please share the load rating you've found stamped on the back of an original TC wheel, so we'll know the minimumt we should be looking for

Don

MLB    1

Unless you plan to actually haul 1,600lbs (or something close to that) you don't need specially rated wheels or tire.

The car weighs the same or less than a Fusion. 

The 215 55 16 XL carry a rated load of 1609 ea. The wheels need to be better than that by a reasonable margin.

I can find lots of 17s, but 16s are what I want. What I really want is staggered widths with the same same rim dia. 

57 minutes ago, OLDSCHOOLFOOL said:

I like that style of rim though.

Edited by OLDSCHOOLFOOL

Tis a shame you're not in VA, I would GIVE you a set of 16 inch steels with only 700 miles on them. Covers too. They're going to be in my way.

I like these Maserati babies.....but the rear offset is so high you would have to use spacers to keep them off of the suspension.:cry: I'm slowly resigning myself to using spacers or adapters on any setup I can come up with. Maybe there is more space back there than I think? Anybody know for sure how positive you could go with the offset? And to fit a 255/50R16?

I haven't been able to find what the center bore is.

s-l1600.jpg

Offset: FRONT: 30 REAR: 56  

Number of Bolts: 5 Rim Material: Alloy
Bolt Pattern: 5x108 Rim Width: FRONT: 7J REAR:8J
Rim Structure: One Piece Rim Diameter: 16

On 10/12/2017 at 6:59 AM, OLDSCHOOLFOOL said:

Tis a shame you're not in VA, I would GIVE you a set of 16 inch steels with only 700 miles on them. Covers too. They're going to be in my way.

I'm in VA every year to visit my in-laws in Toano.  I'd be glad to trade these 17s for some steelies for the winter

On ‎10‎/‎14‎/‎2017 at 8:41 PM, Keith Blume said:

I'm in VA every year to visit my in-laws in Toano.  I'd be glad to trade these 17s for some steelies for the winter

We can make it work. Toano is east of Richmond if I recall. I'm about 45 minutes west of Richmond. If your route takes you along I64 it should be no problem at all.