Ford Transit Connect Forum

Wheel Size Question

MichaelD

Hi Guys,

I have a 2016 Transit Connect SWB,
i'm looking for a new set of wheels, however i'm not sure what wheel width and offset i'll go with.
I want a flush/agressive stance, the van will be lowered soon, but I don't want them to rub.

19*8.5 is what I had in mind front and back, I noticed the van is wider at the rear so I'm
also considering different offsets front to back, what would you suggest?

I've seen some 19*8.5 ET45 after a little search,
but how dos it looks from the side?

Edited by MichaelD

Your roads must be better over there than they are here  -  I would get beat to death riding on 19" wheels with low profile tires over here!  As rough as the 19's will ride, I imagine it will be even worse if you lower the van

I can confirm that the stock offset is 50mm  -  If you want a wider, more aggressive stance you might consider 40mm, but then if you're going up from a 7" width to 8.5" you might want to stay with 50mm.  As for different sizes front and rear  -  I have a car like that and it means you cannot rotate the tires, so I would stay away from that option if you expect to get the best wear from those expensive tires

Don

M-sport Connect has 18" and these look at the limit already:

http://www.m-sport.co.uk/m-sport-news/dovenby-hall/revealing-the-m-sport-ford-connect

Don't change the offset as it would ruin your wheel bearings prematurely (relatively speaking).

Any wheel with a matching bolt pattern and center bore will do:

https://www.wheel-size.com/size/ford/transit-connect/2017/

Our rouds are rubbish, but in the past 10 years i haven't had a broken wheel ever.

And i have always been driving on big wheels / small tires on every car i had.

I never rotate tires either, if a side is gone i buy new ones ;)

I would keep the size the sale, just have a different offset so i don't need a spacer in the rear.

46 minutes ago, mrtn said:

http://www.m-sport.co.uk/m-sport-news/dovenby-hall/revealing-the-m-sport-ford-connect

Don't change the offset as it would ruin your wheel bearings prematurely (relatively speaking).

What are the specs on your wheels? Width and offset?

Any pictures where i can see the poke of the wheel?

Great looking wheel mrtn

The 16' are big enough for me also. In fact the next set of tires for mine  are  going to be  215 /60/16  Extra load's . This will add  .5 " or 13mm to the sidewall height, I will see if this improves the ride. 

The difference between 215/55's and 215/60's is more than 3% (an even bigger error than switching to 225/40-19's) which will affect lots of things  -  The transmission shift programming for sure.  I don't think a small improvement in ride quality would be worth the errors that would bring with it

Now, if you could find a set of 205/60-16's you'd be back to about where you belong

Don

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 4/22/2017 at 1:20 PM, mrtn said:

That's gotta be lowered isn't it?

On 5/2/2017 at 9:46 PM, Spooner said:

I recently put 18's on mine and really the ride is barely more rough than the 16's I took off.  I'll take some pics tomorrow so you can see the offset but I think they turned out awesome.IMG_0835.jpgIMG_0840.jpg

Looks really nice!  How much do you feel the gearing change?

• 3 months later...

So my new wheels and tires showed up. Since 15s won't fit over the front brakes I have to stick with 16s. It is difficult (at best) to find wider 16" rims with the 5x108 bolt pattern. I compromised for now with 16x7 rims with 225/55R16s. I would have liked to go wider but even 235/55 are about at the limit that may not scrub. Couldn't find much in the way of tires that I cared for at that size anyway. And I don't want to lift the van, at least not right now.

The offset changed from +50 to +38 pushing the wheels out to at least give the impression of added width. There is very little change in the overall diameter so it won't affect the speedometer or gearing much at all. It does give me a positive scrub radius of about 3/8" which shouldn't affect much either.

8 hours ago, G B L said:

Nice any pictures

Not yet, I don't have them put together yet. And as the screen name might suggest I like RWL tires which you simply cannot find in a 16 inch. Maybe some big ruck tires but not in the size range I'm in. So I am going to do my own.

Someone suggested that the larger front brakes were a good thing and in one sense that's hard to argue with. But I'd trade them in a heartbeat for the ability to run 15s. It would open up a whole new world of choices in tires and wheels. 

9 hours ago, G B L said:

I put the 215-60-16's on the TC . The result has been very good , no noticeable drivablity issue's and a very noticeable ride improvement

That is good to know. Should put the diameter at about 26 1/4'. Are you getting close to rubbing? Or do you have any lift at all? I like the 60 aspect ratio better and the 55 quite frankly begins to offend my feng shui. 235-55-16 should be about 26 1/4" as well. 225-55-16 is about 25 3/4" which I KNOW without doubt will not cause me any issues.

Where I was trying to get to was 235-60-16 but that would be over 27" and would almost certainly rub at least under some conditions. Width = height = rub. The harder ride doesn't really confront me - it's all about width & height proportions.

Here is my full write up

57600 miles the Rear Continentals were down to the Wear bars.  The Continentals went about 42000. Replaced them with  a set  of Sumitomo Tire HTR A/S P02 Performance Radial Tire - 215/60R16 99V load index. The first impressions are very good. They were round and easy to Balance not needing much weight .    The handling is comparable .  The TC seems unaware of the 3% increase in the circumference.  The Speedometer is 2 MPH low, no issue for me.    The ride quality is noticeably better. While I was there the Rear pads were at 20% and the disc's were rusting (dirt roads and winter salt)  .  New Pads and rotors , (Rockauto  $11.85 pads $14.56 ea. rotors )The brakes are now back to new.  The front brakes are at 50 % so they will go further.Time will tell how good the tires are.

It was originally posted in How many miles on the stock tires

On ‎9‎/‎27‎/‎2017 at 7:28 AM, OLDSCHOOLFOOL said:

Not yet, I don't have them put together yet. And as the screen name might suggest I like RWL tires which you simply cannot find in a 16 inch. Maybe some big truck tires but not in the size range I'm in. So I am going to do my own.

Someone suggested that the larger front brakes were a good thing and in one sense that's hard to argue with. But I'd trade them in a heartbeat for the ability to run 15s. It would open up a whole new world of choices in tires and wheels. 

Got some used "practice" Volvo wheels with 215/55R16s already mounted on them to see how my "tire-art" skills were. Not terribly bad I think.

image.png.1bf81f8addde51147bcf267c482d2a12.png

image.png.d61d17a808a193d27a0736fcf5981870.png

I *like* the look of those!  -  They really made a dramatic change in the look of the van.  Very similar to what I've got on mine  :victory:

I changed out my steel wheels & hubcaps for a set of 16 X 7 Ford Focus alloy wheels (from a 2012 I think) and mounted my OEM Continentals on them, re-using the original TPMS sensors

Don

P1000347.jpg

Edited by Beta Don