Jump to content

Welcome to the Ford Transit Forum

Welcome to the Ford Transit Connect Forum - the largest Ford Transit forum discussion board.  Like most online communities, you must register to post and take advantage of other features that this community has to offer, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford Transit Connect Forum by signing in or creating an account.
• Receive special product discounts
• Invitations to events
• Start new topics and reply to others
• Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
• Get your own profile page and make new friends
• Send personal messages to other members
• Create an album and post photos. . .More!

Click here to create an account now.


   
  •  
    Custom Search





r1alvin

2016 TC XLT LWB Wagon Project Mtn. Biker/Dog Hauler/Camper

Recommended Posts

 

1 hour ago, stopbreakindown said:

If you would like an add on to swing the bike rack away from the lift gate check out

http://rakattach.com/

 

 

That's cool! I wonder what it costs? Do you have one/?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When I inquired it was $375.  Then another $100-$125 to get it to Alaska.  

Kuat is coming out w/ something similar for $300 that I can get from REI so I have a place to return it if there is a problem.

http://www.bikemag.com/gear/kuat-pivot-allows-2-hitch-rack-swing-away/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
22 minutes ago, stopbreakindown said:

When I inquired it was $375.  Then another $100-$125 to get it to Alaska.  

Kuat is coming out w/ something similar for $300 that I can get from REI so I have a place to return it if there is a problem.

http://www.bikemag.com/gear/kuat-pivot-allows-2-hitch-rack-swing-away/

The Kuat racks need something like that for our TC vans. When I was shopping for racks, we put a Kuat on my TC, then loaded my MTB on the rack and the handlebar end was about an inch from hitting the rear liftgate window. My Thule XT Pro has better clearance then the Kuat and it tilts down, but swinging the entire rack away from the rear loading area is interesting. I would have to see one in person to really see how complicated it is. 

Edited by r1alvin

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Done!

20170627_200650.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

20170627_200808.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Opened up, the sleeping platform dimensions are 29.5" x 71" 

20170627_201447.jpg

Edited by r1alvin

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

My medium sized dog cage fits perfect (Crate in the picture is 30" x 19" x 21".) There's plenty of room for our larger crate in the back if need be.20170627_200854.thumb.jpg.3c849dcf4c80f093d4f267c2a685ad2c.jpg

Edited by r1alvin

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

hide-a-mat i had laying around the house. a bit wide but it might work

20170627_201645.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I actually had a few EC5 connectors laying around so I made an EC5 to XT-60 adapter and successfully ran my 12VDC shower pump with this Antigravity battery pack! How cool is that? It has a 12,000mah capacity,,,can jump start any vehicle has usb ports on it for phone charging and a built in flashlight. It also has a cigarette adapter charger.

20170627_201336.jpg

Edited by r1alvin

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Headed out to Silverthorne, Colorado tomorrow morning with the van, 2 beagles, and both bikes,,,Going to try out a night of dry camping tomorrow and then check into the hotel Saturday,,,

20170630_114050.jpg

Edited by r1alvin

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Back from our trip to Colorado! I drove the entire route solo both ways approx. 13 hours straight. Was not even the slightest bit fatigued after all of that driving! Did a lot of high elevation driving including 1 drive up to the summit of Pikes Peak with a fully loaded van (2 bikes, gear, 2 dogs, full 8 gallon water tank). Overall the van did great but was easier to manage in the hills in "S" mode where I could select the gears. I can now see the value of that swing away hitch that was posted in here for the bike rack.

We arrived a day early as I mentioned above and found a place to pull off on a dirt road in the Pike National Forest. I set up my bed arrangement and it worked great. I also cracked a window and had a bug screen with magnets on the exterior of the sliding door window. Problems arose as temperatures plummeted into the 40's. It got too cold to sleep and I didn't have a sleeping bag or anything, just a thin sheet so I turned the van on to warm up the interior. My fuel guage said that we had approximately "300 miles to E". It seems when the van idles with the heat on, I counted 8 minutes  46 seconds for the fuel indicator to drop a mile. I figured this would give me PLENTY of time to finish a good nap before running out of fuel. (ie: 8min x 200miles / 60 = 26.6hours). Sure enough, I slept great! Woke up, drove down to the Hungry Bear in Woodland Park, CO and had a nice pancake and egg sandwich breakfast with coffee.  

Shower was also really nice to have and I used it several times to rinse myself off and my bikes. It's even better if you need to rinse the dirt out of a wound from MTB riding. 

Finally, the fuel mileage was great! Speed limits were 75+ in many areas and we were doing that and up to 80-84mph on cruise control and I was averaging over 24 mpg! 

20170701_061001.jpg

Edited by r1alvin

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Interesting report Alvin.  Thanks. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Saw a Utube video on cheap & easy window screens and I copied that.

Only good for fairly flat topped windows. So no good for the front doors but good for the sliding door windows on the wagon.

Go to Home Depot gutter section and pick up a couple gutter screens. (Actually buy three cause their cheap under $3 each and it may be a challenge to get the right fit ;) they are white plastic with a bunch of 1/4" diamond holes in it and backed by screening. You can cut them with heavy duty scissors or tin snips or a utility knife. They have a thin channel on one side that you can fit over the window and just pop them into the window channel. 

I cut my first one, matched the second one to match backwards (screen ended up outside). So I got another and fixed that. I took the wrong cut one and trimmed it to fit my Explorer back window and then made a two piece one to match out of the scraps for the second side on the Explorer.

Here's the finished window screens for the sliding doors on the TC, marked so I don't screw up. They are not square on the back, they are tapered. It does take some fiddling to get them in, on the top of the window, in the window channel, and futzing with the safety stop and open when the window hits an obstruction. So you have to tap the power window up to hold the screens without lowering itself.

IMG_1463.JPG

Edited by Boomerweps

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, Boomerweps said:

Saw a Utube video on cheap & easy window screens and I copied that.

Only good for fairly flat topped windows. So no good for the front doors but good for the sliding door windows on the wagon.

Go to Home Depot gutter section and pick up a couple gutter screens. (Actually buy three cause their cheap under $3 each and it may be a challenge to get the right fit ;) they are white plastic with a bunch of 1/4" diamond holes in it and backed by screening. You can cut them with heavy duty scissors or tin snips or a utility knife. They have a thin channel on one side that you can fit over the window and just pop them into the window channel. 

I cut my first one, matched the second one to match backwards (screen ended up outside). So I got another and fixed that. I took the wrong cut one and trimmed it to fit my Explorer back window and then made a two piece one to match out of the scraps for the second side on the Explorer.

Here's the finished window screens for the sliding doors on the TC, marked so I don't screw up. They are not square on the back, they are tapered. It does take some fiddling to get them in, on the top of the window, in the window channel, and futzing with the safety stop and open when the window hits an obstruction. So you have to tap the power window up to hold the screens without lowering itself.

 

Thats cool! I never thought about sniffing around the gutter area, now I will! See if you can cut, tape and epoxy a rain shield to one of those in case of weather. Maybe you can cut a plastic gutter or one of those corrugated roofing strips from the same aisle.

Edited by r1alvin

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Added these heavy duty 500lb. hooks to the rear pillars where the seatbelt use to be. Forgot what they are called but our local Ace hardware had them for cheap. Used a small section of M10 allthread, a hex spacer and a really short M10 Bolt and 2 lock washers. 

20170707_164431.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/7/2017 at 5:48 PM, r1alvin said:

Added these heavy duty 500lb. hooks to the rear pillars where the seatbelt use to be. Forgot what they are called but our local Ace hardware had them for cheap. Used a small section of M10 allthread, a hex spacer and a really short M10 Bolt and 2 lock washers. 

20170707_164431.jpg

Other than van bondage, what are you planning on using those cool looking, heavy duty hooks for ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, Boomerweps said:

Other than van bondage, what are you planning on using those cool looking, heavy duty hooks for ?

I used the hook as a tie off point for the Beagles lead . It actually worked out really well during transport too. They had their harnesses on and the hook allowed them to stay on the floor, in the rear of the van on a soft pad with restricted movement instead of in a wire crate. (Beagles like to snoop around the van lol)  I've been thinking about maybe running a line across the width of the van to both hooks to allow more restricted movement for the dogs during transport but I'm still trying to determine if this would be safe. Both dogs seemed to do well back there as I left enough lead for them to lay on the floor comfortably.

Edited by r1alvin

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

These two bagel brothers like camping out in the back of the van more then I do lol.  You can see what I mean with the tie off point there,,,Right now I'm just looping their lead around the hook. I might look into make something more clean and simple, but same idea. Is this an alternate safe way to travel with them in their harness as opposed to being in a wire crate that can fold up etc in a crash? Also serves as a nice place to hook some plastic bags for trash or whatever else.

 

 

20170710_201939.jpg

Edited by r1alvin

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Spell check or intentional bagel brothers vice beagle brothers? ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Boomerweps said:

Spell check or intentional bagel brothers vice beagle brothers? ;)

100% intentional :dogwalk:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here's a video I made today with updates: 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nevermind the build. Awesome beard, man.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, mrtn said:

Nevermind the build. Awesome beard, man.

:thumbsup:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I'm a crate fan myself as I think in an accident the danger of the dogs being thrown around the vehicles in the harness is more likely an issue than the crate collapsing.  You'd have to have a fairly invasive crash to collapse most crates.  Especially if the crates are kept more in the center of the vehicle.  But even a low speed collision could toss the dogs around the cabin on the harnesses. 

But you have to do what you think is best for yourself and dogs.

 

Edited by Tiller

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×