Ford Transit Connect Forum

Hello from St. Louis

Loafer

Glad I found this forum!  I am Loafer, saying hello to all members. My slogan is "better to have loafed and lost than never to have loafed before".  Trying to get some ideas to build an elevated bed lengthwise in the cargo area of a Transit Connect XLT to sleep this 6'5" frame.  Good luck with that right!  Oh well, glad to be here. 

Open cabin will work.  Currently I'm planning to build a wood frame that is adjustable up or down depending upon the cargo for each festival.  I'm still considering an aluminum frame and just didn't want to reinvent the wheel if there were existing alternatives.  I'll be deciding which way to go sometime this week.  Thanks!

7 hours ago, Boomerweps said:

If you have insufficient length, one option is to fold down the front passenger seat and possibly extend you feet over that ;)

Yah, it's a good possibility.  The mattress will likely extend over the edge and fold down a bit, so that would probably work.  In the Navy I slept on a stretched canvas attached to a metal frame and my feet hung over that too.  The beds were connected on four chains hanging from the ceiling, six bunks in all on one set of chains.   I guess if I could sleep in that thing I could sleep anywhere.  I rode out a hurricane in that thing so the connect will be tame by comparison,. ZZZZZzzzzzzzzzz

7 hours ago, Doc Hoy said:

I like bread because it is always loafing.

Nyuk, Nyuk, Nyuk.

Anyway, welcome to the forum.

Thanks Doc.  Loafing is a good!  When I worked hard the behinder I got.  When I started loafing I was pleasantly surprised how easy it was to thrive.  Now that's all I do.  It's an art. 

2 hours ago, Loafer said:

Yah, it's a good possibility.  The mattress will likely extend over the edge and fold down a bit, so that would probably work.  In the Navy I slept on a stretched canvas attached to a metal frame and my feet hung over that too.  The beds were connected on four chains hanging from the ceiling, six bunks in all on one set of chains.   I guess if I could sleep in that thing I could sleep anywhere.  I rode out a hurricane in that thing so the connect will be tame by comparison,. ZZZZZzzzzzzzzzz

Retired submariner, here. We had metal racks with three sided walls. I'm 6'2" & if I stretched my feet touching my toes on one end, I'd be pressing my head firmly against the other end.

I strongly considered making a platform and using a blow up bed in my Connect but it being a SWB I'd have to do the feet on the passenger seat thing. That and I was traveling with my wife so everything would have to be stowed under the platform. Even just doing it every other day was a no go. Motels for us.

Geesh, packed in you were!  Fortunately there were no screeching stops on a sub...lol.  I'm planning to make it adjustable.  One high level for sleeping and cargo underneath, and a lower level for sleeping with cargo off loaded.  There definitely will be no straight edges on the sides and it's going to take some fancy fabrication to make it work.  I would like to use aluminum but may end up using wood.  An additional complication is that I have stereo subs in the back, rap no, blues and country yes...lol.  It's going to take some effort to get it all to work but it's doable, kinda.  Anyway it will keep me busy and out of trouble for a while.  Cheers! 

To Boomerweps,

Retired submariner, here. We had metal racks with three sided walls. I'm 6'2" & if I stretched my feet touching my toes on one end, I'd be pressing my head firmly against the other end.

When I saw your handle, I thunk so.

Retired Surface ET and W4. 

36 minutes ago, DonShockley said:

E6 Boomer ET here (nuke reactor operator) out of Holy Lock & Kings Bay

My stomping grounds also. Check google earth on holy loch. Site one is totally gone. We gave all that to the locals and they tore it down. Note, deterrent patrols make you eligible for the VFW, added several years back.

On 4/13/2017 at 9:17 AM, DonShockley said:

(FYI: the guy in the white shorts is the Captain of the sub)

20170413_091146.jpg

Imagine that!!!  A BBQ on a sub with the cap in his skivies...lol.  Unbelievable!  LOLOL  Hats off to the sub sailors. 

I was Weps on the George C. Marshall Blue at the time. I was there during the upkeep that Lee Greenwood visited and toured the USS Will Rogers. He gave you guys a signed copy of his record "God Bless the USA". After that, your CO set up a record player & played that for every underway as soon as the last line was cast off. It was loud and easy to hear.

Edited by Boomerweps