Ford Transit Connect Forum

Hello from Santa Cruz, California

BanzaiTree

Hi everyone,

I just bought a 2013 Transit Connect XL yesterday for the purpose of making it into a camper. It's in pretty good shape, although there is an odor is emanating from underneath the cargo area floor covering so I want to get under there & give it a good cleaning. That's my first task of many that I need to do before I take it on a big road trip in June. I'm hoping this forum will be a good resource for this project. Thanks!

BanzaiTree...Welcome to the forum, and hello from Watsonville!  My 5 month wait is almost over to get my 2017 FTC XLT SWB in Silver.  Look for me in and around S.C., I'm up ther now & again..  

Good luck on your camper build.

FDLFDC

13 hours ago, Doc Hoy said:

Welcome. Congrats on the purchase.

I think you will not be disappointed in the usefulness of this resource.

Thanks, Doc! Unfortunately, I think maybe I'm too much of a beginner for this forum. I'm just trying to figure out how to remove interior fasteners (

) but haven't gotten any responses yet. If you know of any other resources I might be able to use to help me with my newbie questions, I'd appreciate it! Thanks again.

My Gen2 has two main styles of clips. The first kind just has ribs along the length of the fastener and I use the following tool to remove those. It lets you pull the fastener straight out which causes minimal distortion of the ribs and generally allows them to be reused.

http://www.harborfreight.com/panel-clip-pliers-67399.html

The other style is basically a removable plastic rivet that works like those small plastic wall anchors that splay out as you insert the screw / pin in the middle. I find this tool handy, although gently prying out the pin with a screwdriver works fine.

http://www.harborfreight.com/push-pin-pliers-67400.html

But the special tools aren't required, they just make it much easier and less likely to damage the fastener. You can see how some of fasteners are built in the photo of my spare parts kit below.

20170305_100339 (Small).jpg

On 3/28/2017 at 6:34 PM, BanzaiTree said:

Hi everyone,

I just bought a 2013 Transit Connect XL yesterday for the purpose of making it into a camper. It's in pretty good shape, although there is an odor is emanating from underneath the cargo area floor covering so I want to get under there & give it a good cleaning. That's my first task of many that I need to do before I take it on a big road trip in June. I'm hoping this forum will be a good resource for this project. Thanks!

I bought a used Ford Aerostar van around 86 or so that had what appears to be dog puke in the cargo area. Used that to help lower the price. I had a Hoover carpet cleaner, like a wet vac with a sprayer you hooked up to a faucet. I clean all the carpet, stank like hell. Made me want to contribute to that pile ;( Anyways, got it clean, sprayed some Lysol on it, and the odor went away. Kept it for several years and the odor never returned.

Edited by Boomerweps

If you are speaking of the little button fasteners, I just pull them out. I have lost more than I have destroyed. They are cheap. GO to eBay and search "ford transit connect door panel fasteners" . They are there by the ton.