Welcome to the Ford Transit Forum

Welcome to the Ford Transit Connect Forum - the largest Ford Transit forum discussion board.  Like most online communities, you must register to post and take advantage of other features that this community has to offer, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford Transit Connect Forum by signing in or creating an account.
• Receive special product discounts
• Invitations to events
• Start new topics and reply to others
• Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
• Get your own profile page and make new friends
• Send personal messages to other members
• Create an album and post photos. . .More!

Click here to create an account now.

•  
    Custom Search

glennwelch

Retirement Road Trip Connect

13 posts in this topic

On 9/28/2016 at 1:33 PM, robertlane said:

This new section is for Transit Connect member custom builds.

Feel free to open a topic and show off what you've done to your Transit Connect! :)

I set out to make a road trip van for me and the dog out of my 2013 FTC, XLT.  I plan to take two long road trips (yet to be seen), after which I will restore the van back to its original.  I wanted curtains, air conditioner, storage, a decent mattress, refrig, ice maker (it makes a batch of ice in 8mn), solar panel (canoe fits next to it) / deep cycle battery, 30amp plug-in, 120V and 12V plugs, outdoor cooking supplies and pull out awning.  The curtains went better than I expected, I sewed them.  I could not have sewn without Youtube.  The flexible rods are bolted to the existing holes.  The only drilled holes are around the Lexan window (holes will be behind original window), it is curved & I could not curve it, so screwed it.  A car friend insisted that I get the wheel flares painted to match the car, so I did. Very fun project whether or not I make to Belize.

storage.jpg

ready.jpg

solar.jpg

painted_trim01.jpg

painted_trim.jpg

ice_maker.jpg

ice_wiring.jpg

curtains.jpg

getting_started.jpg

vent_solar_30A.jpg

window_Lexan.jpg

10 hours ago, 103west43rd said:

WOW!!! One thing you left out. What is the dogs name?

Salsa, she was retired from the race track at age 3, now 4.5 yrs old.

5 hours ago, G B L said:

That a lovely Job and a Lovely Dog.  Where will the trips take you?

Thanks, Plans are to first drive, "The Great River Road" along the Mississippi R. from its MN headwaters.  Historically, I am not real keen on long drives, but have never done it on absolutely no schedule, so will do this once retired in 2 yrs, maybe less.  Then if that goes OK, the next year I will try for Belize, about 3,000 miles.  What I do like is working on the Connect, long drives we'll have to see about.

I see your Scout, excellent.  I had a '77 Scout II, loved it.  Except for the rust it was in great shape :). I sold it a few years ago. I like Uinta's Detour beer (expensive), has a Scout I on the label. I bought it just for the label the first time.

from_a_distance.jpg

From what I recall, rain water would get into the weather seals on the windows, then collect at the bottom of the door.  This resulted in the doors rotting and rusting out from the inside.  

I always remove the panels when the car is new and soak the enclosures in cavity protection wax until it drips out of the drains.

It was said, "IH would dip the Scouts in salt water before painting them."  There were very common, predictable locations that they would rust and boy would they.  Mine was from Alaska (1977) then CA then out to MD where in 1987 I awoke to the rust.  I was not prepared.

Anyone seeing problem rust areas on the Connects ?  Mine is currently mostly garaged waiting for me to retire.  A base model, 4dr manual, 1996 Jeep Cherokee is my daily driver, it has very little rust/almost none, pretty amazing.

I kept my first Connect for 10 years. Living in the rust belt I think I saw the worst it could get. Rocker panels are the most sensitive area prone to rust due to rock chips. Mud flaps like yours would help a lot, mine wasn't equipped. Also had the bonnet's front edge (inside) quite rusty before replacing it due to a traffic accident. The underbody (apart from the abovementioned areas) was good at 10 years/300,000 km, just some surface rust. Replaced the exhaust once but that's probably normal.

So, I suggest you have the obvious parts protected and you'll be fine. It's a beautiful and functional car, enjoyed the hell out of mine.

Great points and numbers at 300,000km(185k miles:). I put on the hood (bonnet) deflector too. Hoping mine won't see much salt. We'll see. Thanks.

If you put a really good set of Flaps behind the Front wheels and stay in Maryland in the winter you should get great service out of yours.

As for the Scout this is the second time that I am going around mine.  Between my brother in law and Me it has been in the family for 30 years.  Too much history to let go !

DSCN0292 small.jpg

DSCN0321small.jpg

Excellent welds, very impressive.

One more addition this last weekend.  I put in a back up camera, One that has the video display on a center rear view mirror.  For now I am keeping the stock radio and a separate GPS unit.  The camera comes in a rear license plate lamp housings, has a lamp also.  Works well, I think.  The lens actually sees the bumper at its ends and directly below sees the ground no more than 1 foot off the bumper. 

I hope the rear view mirror display works better for you than it did for me  -  Glare caused by light coming in the windows washes out the display and made it almost useless in the daytime.  Works great at night though

Don

So far I only viewed on a very overcast day.  It'll be a few weeks before using it again.  This mirror does at least have a brightness adjustment, so we'll see. Thanks.