Ford Transit Connect Forum

2005 transit connect won't crank?

Hello everyone, 

First post, apologies... I hope someone can help. All the best.. 

I left my Van for 3 months outside in quite damp conditions with no regular starting. The van ran perfect before this with no warning lights or issues. I've since tried to start it but it won't even crank. It's not the starter or battery. It's a diagnostic issue where the ECU is not allowing it to crank. I have 2 warning lights that won't go out. The Coil light and the powertrain warning light (cogged wheel with ! In it). The mileage also now reads -------, if I disconnect the battery and re connect after a while I get the mileage back until I turn the key again.  The imobiliser light seems to stay flashing with ignition on? Is this normal?? 

I have tried 2 different OBD readers today and both won't connect? Could this be an ECU issue? As in it's dead? And isn't talking to the reader? Seems very strange after 3 months of sitting outside all hell breaks loose? I've checked all fuses in engine bay and swapped round known working relays but nothing. I get a click when I turn on ignition. 

The only thing I've spotted apart from the norm, is my turbo to airbox pipe is split. 

Anyone have any ideas? I've tried some Ford forums but not having loads of joy. I know I can take it to Ford but it's 12 years old and done 200k so I'm not really wanting to throw too much at it. 

Thanks in advance

The rapidly flashing red immobilizer light means it is unable to read the transponder code from the key. The curious part is having several error lights on. Are you sure the battery is good? You should try another one or jump start.

Thanks for the reply :) 

im sat in it now! Ok the led is flashing every 3 seconds , if I turn the ignition on the clocks fire up, fuel gauge reads, everything does what it should. The 2 lights stay on and the led just flashes as it was before every 3 seconds. I've tried waiting a minute to see if it gives and codes but nothing? 

The battery is brand new. Everything in the cab works, ac , fan, lights etc. I've checked fuses in both boxes, and also swapped the relays around just in case. Still nothing? 

Im wondering if the transponder isn't working? Both keys do the same thing? 

Cable is only 2.5 mm electric singles. That's all I had!? Have jump leads but won't be able to get on solinoid. Only think I could do is a small length of the 2.5 from the solinoid then clamp a jump lead on that? 

So just to confirm (sorry) I'm turning on ignition, then with a length of wire I'm hooking up to the solinoid and then the other end I'm placing on the battery positive terminal? How long should I try and crank it for? 

They were both borrowed. I'm not sure as I don't have them here. One was through a small laptop and the guy said it was a top make, had to put in year of car , and other details. Other was a hand held generic reader. Both wouldn't connect , he said the ECU is dead. ? So I'm guessing there's no power at the OBD port? I was going to buy an Icarsoft i920? Seems good? But a little worried in case it won't connect? 

Seems very strange the imobiliser light keeps flashing when ignition on? Van has mould on seats where it was sat so I'm worried moisture and damp has got in to ECU? It's behind glove box? I was gonna take it home and make sure it's clean and dry inside? 

3 hours ago, G B L said:

Year and model and engine of the TC

2005 connect , engine is a 

1.8L DURATORQ-TDDI (LYNX) DIESEL

I . I have a Haynes manual but that's it 

Edited by Mita
Wrong engine !