Ford Transit Connect Forum

DIY Bulkhead

Has anyone built their own partition (bulkhead) in their van?  I think I want to build my own, or have someone do it for me, after I seeing a couple photos online of folks doing the same.  Any recommendations on materials and dimensions? I'm looking to seal off the back of my 2015 Cargo LWB as tight as possible to reduce as much sound and smell as I can (I carry touchup paint in the back and the fumes can sometimes get a little much). 

097879c3c9069559c8b28adc59f64257.image.650x488.jpg

I've been wanting to make one out of aluminum diamond plate, but it's low on the priority list for my meager paychecks, haha! Someone did a pretty sweet job on that one pictured, even though it's not a TC. For the fumes, I'd look into adding a vent in the back, something like on the USPS vans. Air flow would help the vent, of course - there's two rubber plugs behind the driver seat on the floor that are drains like on a Jeep Wrangler, these are beneath the false floor and you could remove them from under the van. Also, if your van does not have the rear fuse block (like mine is "missing"), there's a hole where the wiring normally comes through, pop the rubber plug out of it (I haven't noticed any water getting in and it's been at least 8 months and 15K miles) - on the passenger side by the back door, behind the plastic panel and seen in my pic here

USPS-LLV[1].jpg

First thing to consider is airflow.  For paint fumes, you need a fan.

Fan-Tastic 803350 12V Vent

Adrian Steel makes a really nice partition.  The vans at work all have Adrian Steel dividers.  I would imagine that once installed, it shouldn't be that hard for you to seal up any remaining holes.  But you will never build something to keep funes out of the passenger area.  You will still need a fan.

PARTC-NW.jpghttps://www.adriansteel.com/item/cargo-vans/2016/PARTC-NW

Composite Partition, no window, Transit Connect

Home  >> Cargo Van Equipment >> Partitions >> PARTC-NW
Item #PARTC-NW

PARTC-NW.jpg

Composite Partition, no window

Fits Ford Transit Connect

Introducing the partition that is all about driver comfort!   There is a trend happening with cargo van owners in the market.  They want a product that offers more value than the traditional steel partition provides.  Something that quiets the cab area, provides more leg room and provides better climate control.  Drivers that spend 8-12 hours a day working out of their mobile office want a more comfortable experience. 

Adrian Steel’s new line of composite partitions offers unparalleled comfort for the driver. 

Climate Control – Quickly cool down or heat up the cab area of the cargo van, reduce idle time doing so and save fuel!

Sound Deadening – Reduce the harshness of the cargo noise entering the cab area.  This reduces driver distractions and makes for a quieter environment to communicate when driving.

Leg Room – Full seat travel and a comfortable recline angle makes the composite partition our most comfortable line of partitions we sell.

Organize – Partitions are great location to hang your cargo.  Easily add safety items like fire extinguishers and first aid kits, or hooks to hang your extension cords or hoses.  Additional accessory kits are available to customize your Adrian Steel composite partition even more.

Wow, thanks for the advice!  I've never even considered a vent/fan before and now you have my wheels spinning.  

I wish the bulkheads werent so dang spendy ($700 for that Adrian Steel partition).  Probably my main motivation for trying a DIY option. 

Thanks! 

Yes.  Cost is a major factor in aftermarket modifications.  Especially if there is a commercial use for it.  No different than spending over $1,000 for a good pickup truck rack with ratcheting cargo straps, or a hard camper shell.  The tonneau cover on my truck (which really does nothing) was about $700.  And you can look at $500 - $1,000 for a ladder rack, cargo rack, or cargo box.  A big part of the over-the-counter price is installation.  You could save a little money if you can source the parts and install it yourself.

The West Marine Nicro vents also come with a battery powered fan, recharged by a solar panel on top.  You can either install a fan blade to pull air out of your van (or boat) or a fan blade which pulls air into your van.  Install a pair of them, (one pulling air in and one pulling out) and you'll have 24/7 ventilation of your cargo area and that would likely reduce any fumes to next to nothing and you probably wouldn't need the partition.  You do have to cut a 3" hole in the roof for each fan, (use a hole saw) but they don't leak a drop of water.  I had a pair of them on a 35' sailboat for 12 or 14 years and they kept away the mold and mildew you usually get in closed up spaces which are subject to lots of moisture like boats are.  I highly recommend them  -  They work GREAT.  Change the rechargeable battery every 3 or 4 years and they literally run forever.  They come with either a white plastic dome or for a few $$$ more, with a polished stainless dome

Don