Ford Transit Connect Forum

Insulating your van

Hey y'all! I've just purchased a new '16 TC LWB Cargo Van which I intend to convert into a camper.  So far this forum has been really awesome, as I've been able to get some inspiration for some different designs, read about some challenges others have encountered, etc. 

I've searched the forum (as well as youtube, and tons of other sites) for some info on insulation and while I find some great info here and there, I've been unable to locate a thread solely dedicated to insulating the van.  There also seems to be many different opinions on best approach to insulation.  My current plan is to use some sort of loft insulation to stuff into the open cavities wherever I can, then cover everything with reflectix or something similar, including removeable panels for the windows.  Easy enough....

My primary questions are:

- To prevent condensation build-up while sleeping in the van, does EVERYTHING need to be covered?  I see a lot of photos where most of the metal panels are insulated somehow but lots of bare metal is still exposed.  Would a little air flow inside prevent moisture build-up on these exposed areas?

- Does a vapor barrier need to be installed over the reflectix or does reflectix act as a vapor barrier on it's own?

- Should I consider a third insulation material such as rigid panels of durofoam to add in to the mix?

- How are most of you adhering the reflectix or similar material to the frame?  Spray adhesive? Would velcro work making things less permanent?

- Once I do get the insulation project sorted out, if I wanted to install wood paneling over everything, does anyone have any recommendations on the best way to go about this? I imagine some furring strips up and down the frame is the simplest start but I'm also not sure of the easiest and most effective way of adhering them. 

As you can tell, I'm a complete novice but come hell or high water, I'm going to have this girl ready to roll come summer time.  Any and all input from you fine folks is greatly appreciated.  

I wouldn't use any household insulation for this purpose.  One, it can trap and hold moisture forever and two when you cram it into tight places it loses most of it's insulating value  -  It needs to remain very loose and full of air to give you a good R value.  I've never seen anyone use it in an automotive application

I would use the half inch rigid foam panels that you can find at Lowes or Home Depot.  Cut them to fit exactly with no air space and glue them in place using Liquid Nails or something similar which is rated for use with foam.  If you have room, add a second or third layer to fill in whatever space you will have behind your paneling.  I think the Reflectix would be all the vapor barrier you would need

Don

Beta Don, thanks for your input!  In your opinion, how would cover all the irregular angles?  

Don Ridley, appreciate that link, I was not aware of that product but looks very promising!

Appreciate you both, 

Jamie

I just joined this forum a few moments ago, but I have some useful info. My 17 LWB TC came with Masonite door panels, as they all do. Hated the look. Went to Tap Plastics looking for sheet PVC to replace it, but the lady at the counter suggested textured ABS panel in black, which matches the rest of the interior. $65 is all I spent for panels on all 4 doors and it looks great. I traced the existing panels to the new ABS with a lite-colored Sharpie and cut it with a portable jig saw. Took some time, but worth it. I under-sized the hole in the panel to insure a tight fit. Thickness of the ABS same as the Masonite being 1/8". 

Cannot address the insulation issue, but this stuff is much lighter in weight that wood paneling. I will try to post photos in the near future.