Ford Transit Connect Forum

Electrical help appreciated, Hella air horn install

Hi guys -

OK so I bought a Hella triple tone air horn kit, apparently without realizing I had purchased the one that can be switched between all horns sounding at once, or playing a "melody" of sorts. Problem is, after installing it, no matter what I do it only plays this melody (which sounds horrible, it essentially plays one note on each horn in succession -- "ba-da-duh, ba-da-duh, ba-duh-duh" and sounds like a taco truck).

The problem I have is the wiring diagram sucks and there are no more instructions than that! If anyone can help me figure out how to wire it so it will sound all the horns at once I would greatly appreciate it. Here is the Hella diagram:

scn0005.jpg

Terminals 85 and 86 are the existing horn wires, which energize the relay. Terminals 30 and 87 are the input and output for straight power from the battery to the horn compressor. So I cut the funky European Ford connector off the horn wire harness, crimped on flat spade terminals, wired those wires to terminals 85 and 86. Then, I ran a wire from the battery negative (-) to the negative (-) terminal on the compressor. Then, a wire from the positive (+) terminal of the battery to terminal 30 on the relay. From there, a wire off terminal 87 to the positive (+) terminal on the compressor.

So wired like that, it works, but in the "melodic" mode. So you'll notice in the diagram, it shows two switches, a SPDT toggle, and at the compressor what appears to be a SPST toggle with a German-text note saying "this is not allowable in Germany." Which, after some research, I was able to find on the Hella website is because in certain countries I guess the melody option is not legal. In the kit, there was no SPDT toggle, but there was a SPST toggle (simple on/off). Since there are NO INSTRUCTIONS, I had assumed that was for if you wanted to keep your existing horn but have the option to turn on the air horn?? But then after looking at the wiring diagram some more, I thought maybe it is the switch they show on the compressor, so I rigged up some wiring and put a piggyback connector to the positive (+) terminal on the compressor, ran a wire to the switch, a wire off the switch to the terminal shown at the top of the compressor (which as far as i can tell is matching the wiring shown on their sheet). But with the switch set either way, it still plays melodically. AND the cheap switch broke and fell apart! I took an ohm meter and checked the compressor, there is no continuity between the negative (-) terminal and the terminals at the top of the compressor, nor continuity between the positive (+) terminal and the terminals at the top. But the terminals at the top have continuity to each other.

So what gives?! If I can't figure this out soon I'm just going to pay the $40 or so to buy the kit I meant to buy in the first place, and simply swap the compressors. I'm getting attention when I use the horn, but not for the reason I intended. :banghead:

OK, so I was able to resolve the issue with the help of some friendly Focus Fanatics. I cross-posted this on that forum as well.

In case it ever comes up here, the trick was that in order to NOT play a melody, you MUST wire both the bottom coil of the compressor and the top and have them both energized at the same time. I was also wiring the top wrong because I was oblivious to some rather obvious (-) and (+) markings on the top of the compressor. I was so fixed on how they showed it on the diagram I ignored what was right in front of my face.

The switch shown in the Hella diagram cuts power to the top and that is what makes it play a melody, when only the bottom coil is powered. So a dope slap for me, but one for Hella too. They could have made that instruction sheet a little clearer.

Oh and BTW for anyone thinking about upgrading the Transit Connect horn to an air horn, I highly recommend it. WAY louder and much more effective, and the three horn setup makes for a fairly pleasing tone.

OK, so I was able to resolve the issue with the help of some friendly Focus Fanatics...

Great! And good thinking to check the Focus forums. Thanks for the details and also thanks for your impressions with the final result.

So... how about some info on your source and your installation (and maybe pics). And are you satisfied with the location you picked?

Thanks!

-Sean-

What do you mean by source? Where I got the horn? That would be Amazon. In retrospect I could have saved ten bucks and WHOLE lot of trouble by just buying the kit that does not have a melody, that's what I get for not reading descriptions clearly.

The location is good as far as I am concerned, I made a bracket to hold the horns that attaches to the original horn mounting bracket. The horns and relay are well-protected from the elements up above the splash shield, but the compressor sits right next to the radiator so I do wonder about heat, and it isn't very well-protected from the elements. I didn't take any pictures, but I do have to go back and wire in a fuse (yeah I was lazy on that one) and neaten everything up so I'll see about snapping a couple pics then.

Glad you got it sorted out. Now they might think your TC is made by Ferrari, but won't mistake you for the

LOL yes, I did not care for the melody. Melodic horns are fun I guess but not on a work van.

Here are some pictures of the install for anyone interested. The location is the left front bumper corner, the "juicer" fog light housing is directly in front of the horns. The radiator cross brace had a convenient hole in it for mounting the compressor, but as I mentioned earlier it's awfully close to the radiator so I don't know what kind of longevity it will have. I just used a simple pre-drilled metal bracket from Home Depot cut to length to mount the horns, and attached that to the existing horn bracket.

p1050833a.jpg

p1050835a.jpg

p1050836a.jpg