Ford Transit Connect Forum

Hello from CT

Unusual1

Well I finally joined the group after reading this forum for the last six months after buying my one owner 81000 mile 2011 XLT TC. I would like to thank all of those people that have posted to give me the information to learn from and make this investment worthwhile.

I like the little unusual beast but it did/does have a few positives and negatives. I was lucky enough to find one with the rear back seat, full headliner and full swing rear doors that have the magnet holders. I really like the Bluetooth and the steering wheel cruise and I guess you call it the SYNC system for hands free dialing. The downside is the hard down shifting at times so I took it to the dealer and had the trans fluid changed and that seemed to help some. I added a 2 inch receiver to use as a shelf support for the storage box in the back that has a sliding/hinged lid. (I go to car shows and print on t-shirts and plaques). I also put a remote starter in so that I will have a warm vehicle on those cold mornings to go to work in. I think Ford made a terrible arm rest so I will fix that eventually and the locking gas door lock needs a fix so that the key is not needed. So overall I like the unusual one but when the weather warms up we will finish making it work for me. 

van.jpg

Hey there MRTN, that is a heat press. A George Knight 20S, weighs about 200 pounds. I do dye sublimation plaques, mugs and t-shirts at car shows. It is hard to see in the picture but the box that it sits on has a sliding lid that is supported by having a 1 1/4 ball mounted in the receiver and then a piece of heavy duty conduit that helps hold up a small 2 x 4 frame under the sliding shelf that I temporarily attach before pulling out the shelf. When the press is not in the van access to inside the box is accomplished by lifting the lid/shelf. As far as wrapping the van I am eventually going to use magnetic signage while at shows as that I have spoken to some other vendors who have said sometimes they wish they were not advertising full time for various reasons so with that in mind it is easy enough to slap a magnet on or off when needed, I just have not pulled the trigger on them yet as that I just started this in late July and as you can imagine there are no car shows now here in New England.

GBL, I am by no means an expert but if you have a heat press question maybe I can help, believe me I lost a lot of product by learning on the fly.

Hey GBL, what kind of printing are you doing with your press? I am doing car shows in the summer but not finding much work this winter. I know it is my first winter at it but seem to be hitting a wall here. I don't have a store front, mostly being mobile is my niche.

Thanks

n

The Press is used for my Business shirts and jackets. I am not trying to get a business at this time.  I like the process and knowing that i will not see anything like what I do out there.  I like to use Photos as part of the graphic.  

I am always looking for a transfer product that has good  color hold out and stays on the stain resistant fabrics that the clothes are made out of .

The key in the Internet business is good photos on the web sight   

Thanks for asking..

Hey GBL and MRTN,

That is good that you can do your own stuff, I have a little webpage going but my outdoor work and connections hope to pick up this year as that I got a late summer start last summer. Thought I would show a couple of pics when I put the box in the van so you can see it in the stowed position and with the hinged lid when needed.

n

IMG_0813.JPG

IMG_0814.JPG

I knew that having a 200 press on top of the box I would not be able to access the contents of the box so that is why I made it with the ability with a sliding top so that I can slide the top open (out the back doors) when items where on top and then access the box from the side doors. I also have a sliding floor in it so that if items are near the rear of the vehicle in the box I can grab the sliding floor and pull it forward so I can easily acquire what I need. 

As far as my website goes it is printallthat with the w's and .com placed accordingly.

Maybe we can convince a sponsor that there is value in advertising.  They can print shirts, and forum members can pass them out to people operating Transit Connects.  The tie in will be that they become aware of the sponsor's product, and this forum.  

As much as I like freebies my business is to new to be giving away free stuff. However I do like the idea of finding a sponsor but you probably would be hard pressed to find one as that Transit Connects were really brought to the states as a work van and those of us that have found them to be useful for family, camping or other unique ideas are probably in the minority of those who drive these things. Of course this is just my opinion and as my wife tells me all the time I am more than likely wrong.

Hey 150,

GBL found a great article and here is another:

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2013/09/u-s-customs-calls-fords-importing-transit-connect-as-passenger-vehicle-manipulation-of-chicken-tax-tariff/

this article I believe shows that the real intent of the first gen Connects were really brought over for work use more so than personal use. I think I have one of the few vans that I consider fully loaded for 2011. From what I can see I think the only option I am missing is the roof rack and the key pad for unlocking the doors. 

Just what is the "real world" price of chickens and eggs?

Imagine how the government subsidizes the poultry industry, so that they can control not just the US economy, but the global economy.  It's amazing how a bird can be hatched, raised, processed, transported, distributed, and resold @ $0.99 per pound, and eggs going for about a quarter dollar.  Mind Boggling if you factor in all expenses including real estate, union labor, logistics........ It makes you wonder how much that chicken should "really" cost.  It cost more than $0.99 worth of diesel just to move that chicken around to all the different places it has to go before it's on my plate.  It's like the recycling scam.  The environmental impact of recycling, is worst than simply throwing my beer can into a landfill.

Then the US government floods foreign markets with US chickens.  Anyone go shopping in Mexico lately?  Go to a supermarket in Mexico, and you'll see US brands like Tyson, Zacky, Foster.......sold for even less than what we pay here.

According the trade journal, Poultry World:   In the two decades of NAFTA, Mexico has risen to become the number one export market for US chicken, turkey, duck and eggs in 2013, with annual sales exceeding $1.3 billion, according to US government trade data.

http://www.poultryworld.net/Meat/Articles/2014/1/Mexico-and-US-celebrate-poultry-trade-success-1451581W/

At any given time, The POTUS can go to the president of Mexico and say, "How'd you like your people to starve?  We'll hold back on those chicken and egg shipments.  Or we'll build that wall, and charge your people for it, by raising the price on chickens and eggs.  And if you don't like that, we'll slap a 25% tax on your cars."

As far as finding a sponsor for a Ford Transit Connect Forum, here in NC that would probably be Budweiser. Every night when I pass their plant here on I-85 the parking lot is full of little white Transit Connects with the Budweiser logo on the sides. And who else in America loves to plaster their name on everything more than Budweiser.  lol