Ford Transit Connect Forum

Doing a lot of Custom Stuff This Weekend

I just put on Yakima roof racks and the Yakima "windshield" which looks fantastic.

I also just received my lowering springs from ModYourConnect in the UK. I'm installing those this weekend. It's a 2" drop so it's certainly a game changer. I already have 19" wheels so to finally get rid of that wheel gap will be great.

I'm going to fit yellow caliper covers too. I think it will contrast my dark grey paint and black wheels nicely and also match my yellow/black license plates, but if I don't like them I can simply remove them.

On top of this I am tinting my fog lamps yellow for a little rally style look. Eventually I will be pulling my headlights too to blackout the chrome. That's a whole project in itself however so probably not for a few weeks.

And finally I bought a JMS Boostmax module which is an ECU piggyback which allows you to add boost to the 1.6 Ecooboost. Dyno results show only 11 hp gain on 87 octane, but I'll be running 91 octane with the booster set to 90%. Combined with the K&N 57s-4000 filter kit I'm hoping to see 20 hp, but more importantly more torque in the mid-range.

I'm going to start researching a limited slip differential. I'm hoping that the one from the Focus ST will work, but really I haven't investigated anything yet. Currently traction is a problem with my van. The open differential is horrible in the rain and snow. I just spin the outside tire every turn.

Edited by DapperVan

Usually it's the inside tire that spins when you have an open differential  -  The weight shifts to the outside tire, so it has better traction

I don't think I could drive my TC if it was 2" lower.  As it is, the front air dam scrapes a 5" curb when I park.  I think even speedbumps would be a problem if I was 2" lower

Ah, the dreaded 'wheelwell gap'  -  Reminds me of the kids on Miata Forum 20 years ago!  ;)

Don

Yes I have the retro plates that read "VANTSTC". On the dark grey van the yellow really stands out, so I thought a tie-in somewhere would look nice. I used these same caliper covers on my wife's Fiesta ST and they look really nice. They're powder coated aluminum and besides cosmetic they really cut down on the brake dust.

This van is my daily driver and does see some road trip time with the family, but my kids are really small right now, one is only 6 months. In about 2 years I'm going to buy a small 4WD RV for the real adventures so I'm OK with a lowered city van. I've had so many lowered and lifted vehicles over the years I've definitely grown accustomed to them.

I'm strongly considering a custom exhaust. I have an exhaust guy I've used for 22 years who does great work. If I do decide to do that I will have him build a pretty quiet system. I don't really want a "ricer" type exhaust on this van, plus I won't tolerate any droning whatsoever on the family van.

I only have this Sunday to work on the van so we'll see how far I get. The springs and caliper covers will be on for sure. I don't know if I'll have time to install the BoostMax system. It's not too difficult to install, but it does involve routing some cables through the firewall. 

Edited by DapperVan

On 1/23/2017 at 7:24 PM, DapperVan said:

I'm going to start researching a limited slip differential. I'm hoping that the one from the Focus ST will work, but really I haven't investigated anything yet. Currently traction is a problem with my van. The open differential is horrible in the rain and snow. I just spin the outside tire every turn.

I'll save you some time on your research. The Focus ST does not have a limited slip differential.

Yeah I quickly learned the transmissions are completely different. I mean I knew the ST was a manual and mine is a dual clutch auto, but I was hoping they shared the differential and it appears they do not. That Quaife would have been sweet!

Does anyone know if the Transit uses the brake bias limited slip method like the ST does? I see that the Escape has it, but I can't find any documentation for the Transit Connect. 

Well it took me the entire day, but I got the springs installed. Not an easy job on these vans. Results are great though. Excuse the dirty van.

No time to install the BoostMax yet. Another weekend project. Getting to the firewall is not easy on these vans.

IMG_20170130_081513_089.jpg

Edited by DapperVan