Ford Transit Connect Forum

Doing a lot of Custom Stuff This Weekend

To be honest I hadn't heard of the Turbo Transformer until you posted this. I just Googled it and the reviews are mixed. It looks like it does the same thing as the BoostMax, but with only 1 connection. That makes me a bit leary to be honest. The BoostMax is taking readings from multiple sensors and manipulating them to trick the ECU. The Turbo Transformer is also tricking the ECU, but without a direct reading from the necessary sensors it must be using some type of algorithm to fake the readings...which to me just opens up more opportunities for the ECU to freak out and put the van into limp mode.

I'm already hesitant to install the BoostMax and will probably just hold onto it for a while for when I get really bored. I think I will be installing a custom exhaust next to help with the little 1.6 top end power. I'm really happy with the additional torque the K&N 57s-4000 gave me.

I know zero about increasing an engine's performance, especially a turbo. This discussion, if accurate, explains the Turbo Transformer.

http://www.focusst.org/forum#/topics/28685?page=7&_k=verqdm

After I am done upgrading the inside of my TC I may try this device. Maybe you will have some BoostMax experience by then. 

Or, maybe I should stick to the mods I understand ?

I just listed the BoostMax for sale in the marketplace section. Nothing wrong with it, I just decided not to install it. The K&N 57s-4000 works so damn well that I really don't desire any more power right now. If I did more freeway driving I'd probably install the BoostMax as top end is still lagging on my van, although I'm hoping a custom exhaust will help with that.

Before you do it, Get some baseline data.  Can you datalog?  Go to the track.  Record your quarter mile, 0-60, & 0-100.  Then take a day off, fill it up, set the cruise control, go for a long drive, and record your MPG.  Perhaps do all of that several times over the next month.  Get some "average" figures.  Record everything that might, or might not, be relevant, including elevation, temperature, et cetera.  Then install your device, and repeat everything. Then you'll have an idea of what your real world gains are.

Real world is the key.  Your "real world" will be different than mine, and everyone else.  My real world MPG never came close to the New Car Sticker.  

Bar graph of your MPG and the EPA MPG estimate: Average MPG=18, EPA City=19 MPG, EPA Highway=27 MPG, EPA Combined=22 MPGGraph of your fuel purchase data from table below

If I go off of what my car display says I'm averaging 20.3 mpg since new (7200 miles). That's mostly city as my daily commute is side streets only. Before I installed the K&N I was getting 19.4. It has been rising ever since, but I think I've plattoud. Real world I will have to verify before I install the boostmax.

On 2/5/2017 at 9:32 PM, DapperVan said:

If I go off of what my car display says I'm averaging 20.3 mpg since new (7200 miles). That's mostly city as my daily commute is side streets only. Before I installed the K&N I was getting 19.4. It has been rising ever since, but I think I've plattoud. Real world I will have to verify before I install the boostmax.

5 hours ago, Beta Don said:

That same display in ours reads 28.6 mpg since new about 15,000 miles ago.  Mostly highway miles though  -  We have electric cars we drive for city use

Don

Real world is different for all of us.  Different configurations.  Different accessories.  Different load.  Different traffic patterns.  

m p g.jpg

I suppose I could get the 27 mpg on the window sticker, if I ran a full tank dry, with the cruise control set @ 55, indoors on a dyno.  

The EPA does not go Wide Open Throttle at on ramps to keep pace with 75 MPH flow of traffic, accelerate rapidly & brake heavy to weave in & out of Financial District traffic, nor does it idle in rush hour gridlock.  

I would think that 20 is good.  I've gotten over 20 a few times.  But my average is 18.  

I think most cars in the real world do not get the EPA estimated MPG.  Some do.  But it all comes down to who is driving, and what their conditions are.  If I take a road trip in the middle of the night, start with a fill-up next to the highway ramp, and ran the tank down to almost empty after hours of freeway driving......and my bladder doesn't burst.....27 MPG is attainable.  

1 hour ago, mrtn said:

Just did 200+ miles of highway towing (60 mph, trailer + 600 lbs load, half way with just the trailer), averaged 17.6 mpg.

Seems a little low to me. Haven't towed anything with the Connect yet. But on a trip fro PA to UT, overpacked for vacation, I got 19-21 mpg at 80-90 mph. At 65 mph, I got 28.5 mpg. This is from the digital readout.

We just did a 1500 mile round trip to Tampa and back.  Just the wife and I aboard, plus about 600 pounds of cargo.  I filled it to the brim ('til I had gas running on the ground) before we left  and the next fill at 395 miles, again to the brim.  It took 13.65 gallons for an average of 28.94 MPG.  This was roughly 125 freeway miles at 70 mph, 200 miles of secondary roads at 45 to 60 mph and the remainder stop and go through a dozen small towns, all with very little elevation change  -  Along the Gulf of Mexico at roughly sea level plus a hundred feet or so.  I use the cruise control 90% of the time, even through towns at 30 or 35 mph

I misspoke earlier  -  My car computer reads 28.3 MPG (not 28.6) and that's accumulated over 19,000 miles now, not 15,000.  We have the 2.5 liter NA engine with the 6 speed.  I'm pretty sure I could get better than 30 MPG if I ran it 55 or 60 without any stop and go through towns

One thing you do learn driving electric cars is . . . . what hurts your range (mileage) and what helps it.  When you apply that knowledge to an ICE powered vehicle, you do get much better mileage.  I guess the main point to recognize is that applying the brakes is basically turning gasoline into friction and heat, so leaving a little more space between you and the guy in front of you so you can kick off the cruise and coast when his brake lights come on saves you a whole lotta gas in the long run  :victory:

Don

Edited by Beta Don