Ford Transit Connect Forum

Thoughts on inverter.

Tiller

I've been doing some research and I think what I want to do will work but was hoping that maybe some people might "check my work" before I blow up my TC!

I want to be able to power this k-cup machine from Oxx. 

http://www.ustoolandfastener.com/oxx-coffeeboxx-jobsite-coffee-maker-green-cbk250g/?gclid=Cj0KEQiAhs3DBRDmu-rVkuif0N8BEiQAWuUJr3pMnp36cVlZfR5U8N4vHfyx_y8lZC1L8I_TrH6Ji4YaAtXK8P8HAQ

Screen Shot 2017-01-09 at 11.01.34 PM.png

It's specs says it pulls 1450 watts.  I'm figuring this is only when it is actually brewing.  At 120V AC this is 12.08 Amps.

I plan on using the spare 30 amp circuit in the rear power box to hook in a 2000 watt inverter.  

http://www.theinverterstore.com/2000-watt-pure-sine-inverter-12-volt.html Screen Shot 2017-01-09 at 11.15.11 PM.png

The calculations I found seem to indicate that the 2000 Watt inverter will produce 16.7 AMP AC and if run constantly draw 184 AMPs per hour from the battery.  That's about 3 Amps/minute.  But since this is only going to be running during a 60-70 second brewing cycle, the amp draw should only be 3 Amps DC/minute.  I think I can see maybe 10-15 cups brewed.  Roughly 15 minutes of actual use or 45 Amp/DC draw.  Provided I only run the inverter/coffee maker and nothing else I think this will work.

Will probably do most of the brewing with the vehicle running.  But I think the battery should be ok even if it isn't.

Suggestions?  Confirmations?

Thanks!

Tiller

Edited by Tiller

When the inverter  is on and brewing the load will be 184 amps for the time of the brew.  If it takes 1 minute to brew the coffee it will need 184 amps for the one minute so  the breaker will need to be at least 184 amps and the wire size will need to support  that number of amps  It will be a similar load as the Starter running for 1 minute.  You will want a house battery near the Inverter and it will be a good idea to keep the car running .  

Edited by G B L

There are amps (the instantaneous draw) and then there are amp hours  -  The instantaneous draw continued for a full hour.  You're wanting to take the AH number and divide it by 60 to get a number 1/60th of the actual instantaneous draw, but it doesn't work that way  -  You will draw that HUGE number, even if it's only for 15 seconds 

The 184 amps is actually the instantaneous draw for the inverter at it's 2 KW full load, but since your coffeemaker only draws  1450 watts (12.08 amps @ 120vac) the inverter load will be smaller than 184 amps.  A 'rough idea' of the inverter draw is always to just to take the appliances amp draw at 120 volts and multiply that by ten  -  12 amps at 120 volts is 1,440 watts and so is 120 amps at 12 volts  -  Still 1,440 watts.  You would still have to add 10% or so for inverter inefficiency, but 'roughly' 120 amps (plus 10% or 15%) is what you need to plan for

No  -  You can't run that inverter from a 30 amp source, not by a long shot!

It is still 'theoretically' possible to do what you want, because the alternator on the '14 to '16 TC's is rated at 150 amps (even though it won't actually put out that much, especially with the engine idling) but if the brew only took 2 or 3 minutes, the battery could take up the slack for that long  -  *If* the engine is left running.  Otherwise, a 130 amp load on a 50 AH 12 volt battery would very quickly create an under voltage condition and the inverter would shut down before your brew cycle was finished

But  -  The DC wires from the battery to the inverter will need to be HUGE (about as thick as your finger) and they will need to be as short as possible (the inverter mounted under the hood and not in the back of the van) and you're still going to strain several things to the point of breaking, so . . . . it might be best to grab a cup of joe at the nearest 7-11 rather than spend the time and money involved with getting 1.5 KW from a 12 volt battery

Don 

Edited by Beta Don

Now if he were to mount a pair of 6 volt Golf Cart batteries (connected in series for 12 volts) in the back of the van near the inverter location (as you suggested) and fed by a 6 gauge wire from the TC's 12 volt battery, he could brew coffee all day long (even a few cups without starting the engine) and be perfectly safe.  The Golf Cart batteries are rated at 200 AH and they will put up with the 130/140 amp load for a few minutes.  Still need the HUGE wire, as short as possible to feed the inverter though

I ran a 2 KW inverter on my sailboat for many years to power a 1200 watt microwave oven, but my battery source was L-16 batteries which have about double the capacity of Golf Cart batteries  -  Right at 400 AH.  Those batteries weigh over 100 pound each and I had 4 of them

Don

At home, I use a French Press.  It just brews a better cup of coffee.  When I'm outdoors, I've got the old fashion percolator.  Those Mr. Coffee machines just don't make a good cup of coffee.  What worked the best, was a coffee siphon.  I had one until my ex-girlfriend got mad and threw it across the room at me.  Although, she wasn't really mad at me.  She was mad at someone else; my other girlfriend.

610LkLCL1TL._SL1000_.jpg

Thank you all for the comments.  Will be going back to the drawing board and doing more research.

I know you were kidding fifty. :)  no k-cups in my neck of the woods! 

If this was just for me, the french press might be just fine.  This is more for a team of people training out in the woods.  k-cups give a variety for folks.  Plus they can bring their own!!

1 hour ago, Tiller said:

I know you were kidding fifty. :)  no k-cups in my neck of the woods! 

Well, if they get lost, the rescuers can always follow the trail of k-cups.

It used to be that for outdoors training exercises, guys would have coffee from home (or maybe 7Eleven) in a vacuum bottle.  Thermos was popular.  I always had, and still have, a 2 qt Stanley.

Stanley Classic Vacuum Insulated Bottle | 2 QT

Then a few years back, dudes started showing up with Starbucks cups, and Starbucks coffee in 96 oz boxes.

starbucks-coffee-traveler.jpg

If there was ever an overnight trip, I bring along the percolator.

f5e8d93b-4f71-42c5-9c5b-a8def9ce2db0_1.6

But ever since Snoop Dogg invested in Philz Coffee, guys who used to bring the Starbucks, are showing up with pour over coffee makers.

Electric-Pour-over-Coffee-Maker-Photos.j

• 1 month later...

I put a solar panel on my Connect, that charges its own deep cycle battery.  I hooked up a modified sine wave inverter, well that would not run my ice maker, it just buzzed, so I got a pure sine wave inverter and that works well. I also made the pictured rear side window from a sheet of lexan, so I could cut holes in it for an AC vent, wiring to the solar panel and a 30amp plug in.

Solar_working.jpg

Edited by glennwelch

• 2 years later...