Ford Transit Connect Forum

One year and 40,000 miles in my 2015 Titanium

One year ago I bought my 2015 TC titanium.  It had right at 10,000 miles on it and now I'm at 51k miles so I've put a lot of time behind the wheel of this thing.  Overall I'm super happy with the van.  I am a sales rep and I always have a pile of samples, catalogs, etc with me.  I also have two young kids so the roominess of the van is great for me.  I took out the third row to give me a little extra room in the back and haven't needed to put them back in yet.  I've tracked every tank and I averaged 24.2 mpg with a best of 28.7 and low of 22.7.  I wish the mileage was a little better but I generally am going 70+mph and on trip I take has a speed limit of 75 where I'm doing at least 80 for 4 hours so really not too bad given the room it has.  Still have the stock 16" tires and they still really look pretty good and I'd say I'll get another 10k or so out of them.  No major issues so far either.  I did have a leak from one of the roof rack plugs but they took care of it quickly.  Mine has the touchscreen nav, heated windshield, remote start etc and all the features have worked great.  I did crack a windshield and it took a few days for them to get the right one in but I don't think the heated windshield is super common.  I'm hoping to get 200k or so out of this and I maintain it to a high degree.  I do 5k mile oil changes with full synthetic oil and will get the transmission serviced soon as well. 

I spoke too soon on issues haha!  Took it in as it started to shift a bit weird st times and had a leaking axle seal. Not exactly a huge deal but got it lol fixed up and shifting perfect yet again. Just glad it's still under warranty. 

Glad it was not a big deal, with no dipstick getting some one to check the transmission fluid level  is a problem .  Checking the fluid level being inconvenient process it  is often over looked when the oil is changed.

Spooner,
Re your “I do 5k mile oil changes with full synthetic oil and will get the transmission serviced soon as well.” Several questions:
1. What type & brand of motor oil do you recommend?
2. What is Ford’s recommendation for Transmission Servicing?
3. Do you by chance know if the regular XL Transit Connect has an “undercoat” applied at the factory?
 a. We’ve had our first “highway salting” of this winter & I’m a bit concerned about rusting from road salting!
 b. Does anyone in this Forum have any experience with undercoating & road salt corrosion?

I'm using Castrol edge I believe-whatever their full synthetic is.  I've use mobil 1 as well.  I think the most important thing is sticking with synthetic and keeping clean oil in the motor.  I'm not actually sure what they recommend for intervals on the transmission but I'm sure its like 100k or something crazy.  No clue about the undercoating. 

Just did my first oil change today (9600 miles), they put Castrol Magnatec GTX in: http://www.castrol.com/en_us/united-states/motor-oil/full-synthetic-motor-oil/gtx-magnatec-motor-oil.html

Haven't done any underbody protection after the early nineties. However, will do for my 20+ year old Corolla in spring (full sandblast + spray zinc + truck frame paint + rock chip protector).

Edited by mrtn

i have done several oil changes with Motor craft 5-20  I usually do the change at about 20% on the oil life.

I use My TC  to pull a trailer often so I did the Transmission fluid at 25000 miles and the fluid had been worked I would opt for changing it more often than the factory spec

There is no Under coating from the factory  A very good product is a Canadian product called Corrosion Free, it stays soft does not drip and is transparent so it does not hide any thing.   A good set of Flaps Behind the front wheels to protect the rocker panel area is the best rust protection.

The best thing you did for rust protection is not live in the North where there is a lot of snow and Ice . That fact limits the road salt on the under side of the TC

I  did the service my self. Here is a Link to the post  I did on the fluid change.  The filter requires the transmission case to be split so that won't be done . The procedure is simple .

Should not take more than one hour for a good shop and I used a 12 quart case of Mercon LV