Ford Transit Connect Forum

Changing Oil Filter on 1.6L EB

chong

I give up! How the heck do you get the oil filter off the 1.6L Ecoboost!? While I can get a filter wrench around the filter, there is no direction you can point the handle to apply any sort of torque to the damn thing. Time to go search for different kinds of filter wrenches...

Yes that would be a good one.  Just remember that the cam type of filter wrench  only works in one direction.  If you want to use it to help tighten the filter it will not work.  A cap type or the Plews filter will assist you in snugging the filter up.

Edited by G B L

11 hours ago, G B L said:

Yes that would be a good one.  Just remember that the cam type of filter wrench  only works in one direction.  If you want to use it to help tighten the filter it will not work.  A cap type or the Plews filter will assist you in snugging the filter up.

If you are using any sort of wrench to snug a filter up, you are over-tightening it. That's why I made the comment of only using the tool once. My previous band type filter wrench has been used exactly once and then packed away on a shelf for years. I'd love to see what the torque setting is on the machine they use to put these filters on in the factory. Someone put it on the, "King Kong," setting.

In any event, the Craftsman was able to grab the filter and I was able to turn the wrench about a quarter of a turn before I noticed that the filter body was simply twisting and not unthreading. I decided to stop before shredding the filter and requiring a tow truck. I've decided to make it someone else's problem. Maybe they can install my damn block heater while they are at it.

You have to watch what you are doing with the filter. If it is in a crummy location the wrench allows you to turn the filter the  right number of degrees of rotation to be correct. As most of the filters want some  number of degree of rotation to achieve proper tightening.

What happened to the Dealer install of the Block heater? 

22 hours ago, G B L said:

What happened to the Dealer install of the Block heater? 

My car sat on the lot the entire day and they didn't even look at it. I have all the parts sitting in the glove box. About all I know is that it requires some disassembly of the intake manifold which means I'm not doing it myself!

The location of the heater block plug is on the firewall side of block and  either the turbocharger to inter cooler pluming or the Air filter pluming are in the way . It will definitely require a lift and a careful mechanic.

The one mrtn has found looks interesting .  It must have a pump to move the coolant around will have to check it out, 

4 minutes ago, G B L said:

The one mrtn has found looks interesting .  It must have a pump to move the coolant around will have to check it out, 

Not necessarily, depending on the location of the heater element, convection should take care of the circulation. If there's even a little room for the hot fluid to rise up then the circulation is natural and autonomous.

Yes that could be the case I checked the instructions of the heater at the web sight and the element is located down on the Oil cooler hose , Convection would work, I suspect the heater has a check valve to facilitate the flow.