Ford Transit Connect Forum

Replace rear glass windows with solid panels?

Hi,
My rear window has been broken twice by thieves trying to get at tools.  I have heavy metal mesh, so that stops them there, but I'm not really all that into the aggravation. :) 
I have so much crap in the back of my van that I can barely see anything through those windows anyway ...so I'm wondering if I can replace the glass with a solid panel...?

Thanks for any help!

-Greg

• 2 months later...

I suspect that you would need to find a junkyard that has a Gen 1 TC with window-less barn doors. Ford only used replaceable panels on the sliding doors for either window or solid panel - the quarter panel windows and rear doors are either solid steel or windowed. Alternatively, you could also get a piece of opaque polycarbonate sheet the same color as your paint (or have it painted to match) and then cut it to fit & epoxy it in place. 

What I would love for my van is a windowless hatch (overhead type door) to replace my barn doors, lol. But, I've never seen a hatch without a window, so it would have to be done custom by welding in a sheet of steel. Too much work for the little bit that I would gain from converting, though.