Welcome to the Ford Transit Forum

Welcome to the Ford Transit Connect Forum - the largest Ford Transit forum discussion board.  Like most online communities, you must register to post and take advantage of other features that this community has to offer, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford Transit Connect Forum by signing in or creating an account.
• Receive special product discounts
• Invitations to events
• Start new topics and reply to others
• Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
• Get your own profile page and make new friends
• Send personal messages to other members
• Create an album and post photos. . .More!

Click here to create an account now.

•  
    Custom Search

Spooner

2nd gen-how many miles on stock tires?

19 posts in this topic

I'm just shy of 50k miles and they are still looking pretty good on the OEM 16" conti's and I'm pretty surprised by that.  I was thinking of going to 17's with new wheels when these need to be replaced this spring but wondered if you guys were getting similar mileage with the 17's as well.  I'll probably go to Michelins on whatever size I go with since I have had amazing mileage in the past with their tires and good performance over the life but I have to say I'm pretty impressed so far with these continentals. 

My set has 32000 on them, The winter set has 10000 plus. The summer set are getting thin but are wearing well. Next spring will need a new set.  I would add side wall height if I could. 

I agree  -  More sidewall height would be preferable to less

On my last vehicle, I swapped the 195/50-16 tires for 205/55-15's and got a much better ride with no loss in handling that I could detect.  It began because I already had a set of very lightweight BBS alloys I really liked the look of on the car and I wanted to keep the tire diameter and circumference the same as stock.  Worked out very well and I would do the same on my TC if I could . . . . maybe I can?

If not, I'll stick with the 16's as going to 17's with a lower sidewall could only make the ride worse

Don

A 215/60/16 will ad 3.6% to the diameter and .4 inches to the Sidewall height. I think I will try that size for the next set of Tires . There are several sets that have the extra load range that the TC wants. 

The LRR (Low Rolling Resistance) tires do seem to last a bit longer, in addition to the added MPG's they give you.  We have similar tires on our EV's and they really do increase range, which in a gas powered vehicle means better mileage.  I will probably stick with the OEM Continentals when the time comes, but then it's a long way off  -  My 17,000 mile tires still look pretty much new

Don

So you guys will scoff at my thinking of going to 18's then huh haha!  It just sucks because the wheels I really like don't come in anything smaller.  And I think the ride is fine with the 16's but I travel 95% on the highway and our roads are pretty good.  I still have a few months before I need tires so I have some time to figure this all out.

On 1/5/2017 at 1:10 PM, Spooner said:

So you guys will scoff at my thinking of going to 18's then huh haha!  It just sucks because the wheels I really like don't come in anything smaller.  And I think the ride is fine with the 16's but I travel 95% on the highway and our roads are pretty good.  I still have a few months before I need tires so I have some time to figure this all out.

please post when you decide what to do, I do a lot of highway miles and my go to a focus st wheel set up but worried about the ride.

Don't let anyone stop you.  Do what you want to do.  Just know the pros and cons before you pull the trigger.

My new wheels will be here tomorrow and tires should be here any day as well.  I'll post up some pics once they are on but I'm super excited to see how it turns out.

Very nice  take lots of pictures!

Will do.  And I'm almost to 60k miles on the oem tires and they could go another 5-10k I'd bet.  Pretty remarkable for an OE tire.  I went with General Altimax RT43 tires which I think will get me in the 80-100k mile range from the research I've done.  Normally I go michelin but they didn't really have a good option in a 225/45-18.

Some of us buy tires based upon performance factors.  I suppose longevity is a consideration.  But a lot of people buy based upon cost.  Not everyone thinks they'll still have that car 5 years later.

For sure I look at all aspects but cost/mileage is a big factor for me as I drive 40k a year or so.  I don't want just some super hard tires that are really loud either so I read a ton of reviews.  Michelin's in general are hard to beat but I think these will serve me well from what I've read.  Also just got the call from Discount Tire that my tires made it in so they will be going on later this afternoon.  I do see a lot of people put super cheap tires on their vehicles but man thats just scary to me. I had bought a car that the dealer put some no-name crap on it and they didn't make it 20k miles and were wearing terribly uneven.  They were also atrocious in the snow and rain.  Mine and my family's safety is just too important to cheap out on tires.

You get snow? There is no all-season tire that would work both, in summer and winter. Only a dedicated snow tire is safe enough.

I have had several sets of Nokian WRG 2's and WRG 3's  which carry a severe snow rating and work very well.  They are a 50000 mile  tire.  If you only want to have one set of tires these will work very nicely.

DSCN0337 small.jpg

We only get a few inches a couple times a year anymore. 

Here it is with them mounted up finally.  I'll get some better pics tomorrow when its not so dreary outside.

IMG_0835.jpg

IMG_0840.jpg

I suppose that living in a "no snow zone" makes my life a lot easier.