Ford Transit Connect Forum

"Stonechips" or flaking paint?

Nomoford

Hi everyone

I have a Oct 2015 connect and when I took it for its first service with just under 12k miles I pointed out some paintwork that was flaking off the chassis beside the OS rear wheel. This has been dismissed by a ford dealer as stonechips based on a photo taken  and forwarded by a service receptionist   I find this odd as NS has the exact same piece of exposed paintwork and shows no sign of "damage".  

I am interested to know if anyone is having similar issues. I have attached a couple of photos and would appreciate members views /comments.

Nomoford

IMG_1092.JPG

IMG_1097.JPG

Hi Guys

Thanks for showing an interest. If we were to assume that the area with the missing paint is due to impact damage wouldn't it be even more likely that the near side patch of paintwork in the first photo would have at least as much damage as the offside. 

I would also point out the small paint bubbles to the left of the paintless areas that haven't broken yet. I am in no doubt that this is how the the other patches started  

If Ford believe that this is stone damage then I am amazed that they would leave this small patch of paintwork exposed in such a vulnerable area. 

Nomoford

This was a common problem with a lot of Chevy vans.  In the beginning, the dealer said it was rock chips, which are common on the hood of vehicles.  Then it gets bigger, and all of the paint starts to peel.  But look at the size of those rock chips!  Keep an eye out on the road.  You'll see a lot of Chevrolets like this.

5197d1362416577-hood-paint-peeling-07-ca5196d1362416551-hood-paint-peeling-07-ca

The voc requirements have forced the producers to switch to water based coatings. The paint chipping and blisters have affected all the major car manufacturers at some point.

If rust and crossion is an issue several companies 3m, Fluid Flim, and a Canadian product   Crossion Free all are good to protect that area of the car.

Just as bad as Honda with the horrible clearcoat.  Of course, Honda dealers are calling it normal wear & tear, or owner negligence in lack of proper care.  Ask a Honda dealership, and they will tell you that you should regularly wash, clay bar, wet sand, and wax.  "Regularly"?  Well, you obviously didn't do any of those things enough, or with enough regularity.  And you should have parked indoors, in a temperature & humidity controlled garage, and used a car cover.  Or you could have simply saran wrapped your car from day one, then stored it away without ever driving it.

Related imageImage result for honda bad paintImage result for honda bad paintRelated image