Ford Transit Connect Forum

Rural Letter Carrier Needs Help bypassing drivers side airbag sensors

PawPaw

I am a USPS rural letter carrier and have recently purchased a 2013 Transit Connect and had it converted to right hand drive. I need to remove the drivers seat to put in a letter tray. The place that did my RHD conversion didn't know how to bypass the airbag sensors in the seat so they left the seat in. Does anyone know of a way to bypass the sensor? Is there a dummy plug available that I could use in place of the seat's plug? If anyone has any ideas pleas let me know.

Thanks

It seems strange that a automotive shop with the capability of converting left hand to right hand drive does not know how to by pass air bags? What do they do for the other conversions they have done? Or is this their first one? Or is the first time anyone has asked to have the seat removed? Tell us more.

The shop I took the van to is a small shop that was recommend by some of my fellow carriers. Their cars were converted by this shop but their cars were older, late 80's and mid 90's cars. The shop converted my steering, brakes and accelerator with no problem.

It seems that the shop has only done a few conversions and none on a late model vehicle. It surprised me also that they weren't able to figure out the by pass. I got my van back with the left seat out but the check engine light was on. The owner said that the wiring harness for the seat had to be hooked up in order to get the check engine light off. He didn't know of any other way to do it. 

I need the seat out that's why I asked the question on this forum hoping some knew a way to help.

With the seat in and you driving in the right seat is there any issue ?  If there is no issue then you should be able to find the sensor in the seat and mount it under the letter tray with the harness plugged in

Edited by G B L

PawPaw, thanks for the reply. Here are some further questions. What was done with the airbag in the right side of the dash? Was the same steering wheel used? Was the drivers seat switched with the passengers seat? How much, if anything, was changed in the air bag system? G B L had a good idea about the passenger seat pressure sensor which would have been a nice simple solution except for the side air bag in the seat back. There is a possible solution but I need the further details to confirm what needs to be by-passed.

• 2 weeks later...

The original steering wheel was left in place with no changes. We added the right side wheel. The air bags in the dash on the right side were left in, I thought they were deactivated by the shop but i will have to check on that. The seats were not switched. The drivers seat is still in place on left side and hooked up. None of the air bag system has been changed.

The kit that was used to convert to RHD is a chain drive system. A gear was welded to the steering shaft and a new steering shaft was installed on the right side. A chain runs from the original steering shaft through some pulleys to the new right side steering shaft. I attached a picture of a similar install, not mine. 

I like the idea that G B L had, where is the sensor located in the seat?

Thanks for all the input. I have been working a lot of hours so I haven't been able to check this forum often.

mk10.jpg

Another Idea is to find the drivers harness  and sensor and  install them on the right side.  The Job might be easier if the Left seat can be swapped for the right seat and the drivers side harness re located to the right side. Then the lights would be off.  The passenger seat does not require a person for normal operation.

Keep us posted.

• 4 months later...

I have a similar issue that I want to make my 2013 a one person vehicle.   Want to disable the passenger seat airbag and sensors so that I can remove the seat without a bunch of warning lights.