Ford Transit Connect Forum

Recovery/tow hook

My 2016 did not come with a recovery hook (US destination). 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00HB9L7I2/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1480352791&sr=8-1&pi=SX200_QL40&keywords=ford+recovery+hook&dpPl=1&dpID=316MIut5PeL&ref=plSrch#

There is a place to stow it by the jack. I assume this item is not required in the US? Or, was it a mistake by the factory?

• 2 weeks later...

I contacted the sales guy at my dealer and he said he checked multiple TCs in stock and none had a tow hook. I do not want to drive the long distance to the dealer so it was easier to order one for about $30 delivered. I bought the same part shown in the previous post ( but from another source).

Good to know, The part number Part No: 6M2Z-17A954-A - List Price $31.81 from the earlier post is a good Ford part number and any Ford dealer can get it.

The Anti Tow Hook lobby is stronger in the States and Ford was happy not to make it standard.

Edited by G B L

14 hours ago, Fifty150 said:

So how many people have backed into a ditch, or spun off the road, and that hook came in handy?

I like to think of it more as a talisman-  if you have it, you won't need it . . . . . and if you don't have it, well . . . . . . 

On 12/8/2016 at 10:03 PM, G B L said:

Good to know, The part number Part No: 6M2Z-17A954-A - List Price $31.81 from the earlier post is a good Ford part number and any Ford dealer can get it.

The Anti Tow Hook lobby is stronger in the States and Ford was happy not to make it standard.

My local dealer quoted $ 51 on it.  Not sure what's going on there- maybe they just didn't want to bother with ordering one ?

$ 31 does seem to be retail.

15 hours ago, Fifty150 said:

So how many people have backed into a ditch, or spun off the road, and that hook came in handy?

Helped others many times, then again, the recovery hook is standard in Europe, some cars have it welded to the front subframe, especially older ones. Needed help myself once but I used the tow hook to back me out of the mud:

m00ga_offroad2.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

It was NOT standard with my 2014 XLT swb. Had to order one in. Supposed to not fit in the rear position with the tow hitch installed (just connect to that), but for a front pull, IMHO it is a MUST. There is no decent way to get under the front end and find a place for some hooks, especially in bad weather when you will most likely need the pull. $30 is the going price from a dealer. It is the same left hand squared threaded unit that the escape can use. Yes, Ford made it so you can't just buy a nice standard forged eyebolt, you have to buy a Ford one. ?

On 12/10/2016 at 10:14 AM, Data said:

My local dealer quoted $ 51 on it.  Not sure what's going on there- maybe they just didn't want to bother with ordering one ?

Pricing and availability varies with the retail market.  Especially in a grey market, like auto parts.  Amazon dot com, the link posted above, seems like the way to go on a lot of parts......if you can wait for it to arrive in the mail.  Of course, for anything that you have to have right then and there, you will pay whatever markup the seller is quoting......unless you haggle.  You can do that.  Don't pay sticker at the dealership.  I've haggled with the parts counter, and the service writers.  They will call out a manager.  You will bang it over his head that you bought your car there, but won't be buying your next one there, because they just lost the next $50K that you're spending......because of poor customer service.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 years later...
2 hours ago, BSJBSJ said:

Yeah. I received one yesterday. No ratings marked on it at all. Nor the box...

What's stronger, the hook or the trailer hitch...?  Amazon.com: RIGID HITCH INCORPORATED Enhanced Tow Strap Shackle Mount (TSM-125-D) for 1-1/4" Receivers - Made in U.S.A. : Automotive

The hitch will be stronger. You are utilizing more than one connecting point to the vehicle compared to the single connection of the tow hook. It is strongly advised that one tows with the hook with caution. That hook threads in to the front bumper brace and will easily come off. I knew a guy with a Jeep Renegade that thought his threaded tow hook was a legitimate off road tow hook. Learned a lesson that day