Ford Transit Connect Forum

3rd Brake Light 2011

I have a 3rd brake light that isn't working. I don't see a fuse for the 3rd one. The other 2 are working fine. I get how to remove it. It looks LED...can I replace the LED's or do I have to replace the whole unit? I would like it to be a 10 dollar fix and not a 90 dollar fix. Slowly but surely I am getting things replaced and fixed, just a little TLC is all that is needed. Really enjoying the TC though. 

Thanks for the help in advance!

In my 2nd Gen owners manual, the third brake light is LED and suppose to be dealer serviced.  I imagine that all it really is, is that you have to replace the entire unit.  The license lamp & liftgate release unit also says "dealer service".  That item requires taking apart the liftgate.  I suppose it's not a simple light bulb change.

I'm sure that it can be serviced.  It's just a matter of how much of the van you have to remove to get to it.  The LED license plate lamp/release latch combo on the liftgate requires taking the interior panel off, then removing the exterior trim assembly.  A lot of work to change a light bulb.  

Hello Biff. The complete assembly needs to be replaced. Part number 9T1Z13A613BA, price in 2011 was $64.50. Are you sure it is getting voltage?

And as mrtn knows, I did replace the panel in the left rear door with the UK/EU third brake light assembly, although I did not use it as intended by the manufacturer. Look at my Gallery for the details.

On 11/25/2016 at 1:36 PM, 103west43rd said:

Hello Biff. The complete assembly needs to be replaced. Part number 9T1Z13A613BA, price in 2011 was $64.50. Are you sure it is getting voltage?

And as mrtn knows, I did replace the panel in the left rear door with the UK/EU third brake light assembly, although I did not use it as intended by the manufacturer. Look at my Gallery for the details.

I don't know if it is getting voltage or not...I just ordered a tool to help get the headliner down. I will check the voltage first. Where did you order the UK/EU third brake light assembly....it would be nice if they made other things to fit there like a loading light or something like that. Thanks everyone for all the help!

On one of my old Jeeps, I mounted a rear facing fog lamp as a work/loading light.  You would be amazed at how dark it gets out in the woods, without street lights.  Funny how when you have trucks and Jeeps, you always seem to have extra parts, like fog lights, sitting around.  Right now, I'm looking at this weird projection spot beam light that uses an MR16 lamp.  Okay, my brother in law gave it to me because he couldn't use it.  But who would engineer and market an automotive light using a track light bulb that is typically used to illuminate mannequins in retail stores?  He said something about putting it on my Harley, or using it on the Honda, and I just laughed.  But he left it on my workbench, so it's mine.  Another thing that will get tossed into the spare parts bin.

32 minutes ago, biffstephens said:

it would be nice if they made other things to fit there like a loading light or something like that.

That wouldn't really work.  Once you open the door to load, your light would be pointing away from the vehicle, to the left hand side,.  So if you're parked curbside, you would have a light pointed at passing cars.