Welcome to the Ford Transit Connect Forum

Welcome to the Ford Transit Connect Forum - the largest Ford Transit forum discussion board.  Like most online communities, you must register to post and take advantage of other features that this community has to offer, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford Transit Connect Forum by signing in or creating an account.
• Receive special product discounts
• Invitations to events
• Start new topics and reply to others
• Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
• Get your own profile page and make new friends
• Send personal messages to other members
• Create an album and post photos. . .More!

Click here to create an account now.

transit connect guest message logo.png

•  
    Custom Search

Novice

Running heavy fife wire from battery to caro area

I need some guidance as to the best place to bring the wire from the battery through the bulk head.  I read in another post to rout it through one of the "plugs above the peddles". I located what I think is a "plug" slightly above and twice as far to the left of the break peddle.  However, I have looked everywhere on the other side for the back side of that plug but I can't find anything.  Any tips on where to look or what I might need to disassemble to find the other side of that plug? 

Thanks much

BBJ    0

I just wired my trailer lights. The Ford instructions had me run it from the battery box across the front to the passenger side then up through the fender. There's a rubber plug under the trim piece just in front of the passenger window. That comes out above the front passenger kick panel. Worked great. Can take some photos tomorrow if you'd like. 

IF you have a Gen 2  there is a fuse box in the right rear that has ample power for the trailer

Edited by G B L

A simple solution is to find a space which is easy to access from outside and inside of the vehicle, then drill a hole.  Be sure to use a rubber grommet, then fill in the gap with silicone.  

BBJ    0
2 hours ago, G B L said:

IF you have a Gen 2  thereb is a fuse box in the right rear that has ample power for the trailer

Not in mine. Nothing back there at all. I wanted to do a factory install anyway.

1 hour ago, BBJ said:

Not in mine. Nothing back there at all. I wanted to do a factory install anyway.

KIMG0043.JPG

You can't find this part behind the third row seats?

BBJ - pics would be very helpful -. Thank you!

BBJ    0
13 hours ago, Fifty150 said:

You can't find this part behind the third row seats?

Nope. Not in my 2016 XL cargo. 

BBJ    0
2 hours ago, Novice said:

BBJ - pics would be very helpful -. Thank you!

Just took a few but too big to post from my phone. I'll do it when I get home this evening. 

BBJ    0

Here are the Ford instructions - PDF

Photos are here - pictures

What gauge wire are you using and how big is the fuse?

BBJ    0
8 hours ago, G B L said:

What gauge wire are you using and how big is the fuse?

The wire is 8 gauge with a 60 amp fuse at the battery. I mounted a fused 1 to 4 power distribution block under the floor just behind the passenger seat. The trailer wiring, a 2 channel 50w amp for front speakers and a powered subwoofer will get fused power from there. Amp will be under the floor too with the sub under the passenger seat. I'll post pictures when i get around to doing the audio installation.

Very nice.  Make sure the grounds are good if you are not running a ground wire buss  with  your distribution box.