Ford Transit Connect Forum

2014 TC on 215/65R16 BFG AllTerrain KO2

JustinB

New here.

I'm about to give this a go on our 7 passenger wagon. 

Anyone else gone up in size for some off-road tires?? Any rubbing?

Alos looking into lifts, looks like there is almost nothing out there, figure I'd ask anyway if there was something new.

I did find this, anyone know anything?

https://m.spaccer.com/en_US/makes-and-models/ford/transit-connect.html

Once you start stacking spacers, your handling and alignment won't be the same.

Having owned trucks and Jeeps, I've used "leveling kit" spacers, adjustable struts, cheap lift kits with spacers, and full lift kits with reengineered suspension parts.  I'm not an expert, but I like suspension lifts the best.  They are obviously more expensive......upfront.  However the budget friendly lift options, which are typically spacers of some sort, create undue stress upon other OEM suspension and steering components, and will cost you more in repairs down the road.  

A spacer may create more room for bigger tires, but you will need to consider re-speccing the wheel and tire combination so that you can actually turn the vehicle without rubbing.  Your wheel height, width, backspace......will all be different.

I would be more concerned with what the oversize tires will do to the gearing and the transmission shift points.  215/65-16's are almost 7% too large in circumference and your speedometer will be off by 5 mph at 70.  Modern computer controlled vehicles are very tempermental when it comes to big changes in tires size.  I think overall performance and mileage will take a hit

What do you hope to gain with oversize tires?  Ground clearance for off-road use?  You would gain less than half an inch which would not seem worth it for what it's going to do to your van's overall performance

Don. 

• 2 months later...

Lifting a vehicle with front struts is pretty easy if you have access to a machine shop. You can make a strut spacer, but you'll probably be limited to about 1" of lift in the front. The spacer mounts on top of the factory strut and has studs that mount to the strut towers in the stock holes. The larger tires will contribute to the lift so maybe 1.5" total which isn't too shabby. Rears can be lifted with custom spacers too, but they need to be bolted in properly. Both of these methods change the geometry of the suspension. The front lift is limited by the CV axle angle limit. Go too far and you can break an axle. Most "leveling kits" work this way now. Leveling kits back in the day lowered the rear with leaf spring shackles...now everyone wants to lift the front.

• 3 months later...

Looks like the OP never followed up with his results and I am after the same information.

Soooo, anyone running 215/65r16 tires on stock rims?

I just picked up a new to me 15' TC LWB and live in Alaska.

Looking around for a winter wheelset and happened to come across a studded tire package on rims from a 2010 Volvo XC70 which happens to share the same oddball rim/lug specs with about 4 seasons on them.

Should have a little of the tread worn off and will replace with stock size tires when needed 

Thanks in advance

I just got these tires today and some 16 inch steel wheels.

BFG K02 215/65r 16

Tirerack.com has the wheels on close out for $40 right now.

The front tires rub slightly at full lock when turning but it's no big deal to me.

I trimmed a very small portion of the rear felt on the wells cause they rubbed on bumps. Like a very small 1 inch trim. 

IMG_0436.jpg

IMG_0447.PNG

IMG_0448.JPG

Edited by Mike Rafter

• 1 year later...
  • 4 weeks later...

For reference, General Grabber AT2 are the exact same tread pattern for a cheaper $$. Mine have over 20K miles now and no real noticeable wear to speak of, although I don't havea tread depth gauge. Unlike that white TC1, I didn't do any trimming on my 2015 TC2 because I didn't see anything that looks close to rubbing. My thread about switching to GG AT2 tires

• 2 years later...
On 4/27/2017 at 9:40 PM, Mike Rafter said:

I just got these tires today and some 16 inch steel wheels.

BFG K02 215/65r 16

Tirerack.com has the wheels on close out for $40 right now.

The front tires rub slightly at full lock when turning but it's no big deal to me.

I trimmed a very small portion of the rear felt on the wells cause they rubbed on bumps. Like a very small 1 inch trim. 

So it's been awhile. Has anyone else put the KO2's (or other burly tires) on their 2010-2013 series vans? How have they been running with this tire combo and any feedback in general?

Edited by WellConnected