Ford Transit Connect Forum

ARMREST CONSOL MOD

depman

Hi all. Im new here , and i must admit, i googled ford transit connect to come up with a solution for a decent armrest consol and to my surprise, ive found basically nothing on many sites, for days..I got this van for work about 2 months ago, when my company decided to go " green ".. I really must admit i was horrified going from a full size chevy van to a tc..The biggest dellema for me was the cheezy armrest and terrible cup holder location and no handy storage, minus the overhead rack..My work tc has a hevy screen bulhead which has a steel plate in the center on the bottom. I decided that the steel bulkhead mounting plate was a good base for an arm to extend up and 90 towards the front , onto which i can mount a decent after market armrest consol/cupholder. For those who have a non workvan with back seats and no bulkhead, you will have to mod a 90 degree steel plate to the floor..I used a large gate hinge off the bulkhead, because i wanted to be able to lift it up if i have to use the emergency brake, which i can still just reach without lifting it, and get to storage under it..I can still reach the windiw switches [ another rediculus location ] also, but will be moving them up to the dash . I used 90 angle aluminum attatched to the gate hinge, which is light and strong. for extra stability i used another 90 aluminum piece, which extends down 90 degs an sits in the rear cup/compartment, inconvenient anyways. I bought a nice armrest cupholder which has a lift up compartment for cds, ect..at autozone for 35 dollars . I mounted a steel plate to the bottom of the armrest [ i used a shelf divider from the stock shelves ] and then mounted it to the angle aluminum. And there you are..IT WORKS PISSA..[boston accent ]..I will post pictures when i figure this out.. I am an alarm technician on Cape Cod Ma. and spend all week with this van , so i needed to make it as comfortable as possible.

post-1326-0-53917400-1299460627_thumb.jp

post-1326-0-85689700-1299460654_thumb.jp

• 2 months later...

NICE!!

I just got a transit for work too. I have only had it a week. I have the cage behind the driver/passenger seats so the driver's seat doesn't go back far enough for me. I am working on moving the shelving unit back and then moving the cage back so I can get more leg room.

One thing I also didn't like was the small arm rest. The one that you built looks really nice! do you have anymore pics of the mounts?

Thanks,