Ford Transit Connect Forum

LED lights for cargo area in 2016 wagon

I added some nice LED lights to the cargo area of my SWB 2016 wagon.  The lights have an OEM look and provide just enough light to illuminate the cargo area.

30033342155_9684fcecbb_z.jpg

The lights are mfg by Brand Motion

http://www.brandmotion.com/oem-integration/led-lighting/loftlite-led-interior-lighting-kit.html

The total lumens from the 4 lights is probably around 90-100.

I tapped into the wiring for the side mounted cargo lights. The lights turn on and off with the doors.  They dim as the interior lights turn off like the stock incandescent lamps. Each light has a function where separate power can be wired to the light to turn it on by pushing the center of the lamp. Unfortunately this won't work in the TC because the TC dims the lights and turns them off by raising the negative supply to the lamps from 0 volts to +12 volts. So when the lights are off both leads are at +12V.  The "push-on" function won't work because when the lamps are off there is no negative supply to the lamp.  This is not a problem for me because I would never be in a position to turn the lights on while I am driving.  If you wanted them to be reading lights for passengers it would not work.

The installation is relatively easy. You have to carefully pull down the headliner just enough to access the back side and cut 4 holes.  The insulation on the headliner has to be shaved away so the bezel can snap onto the lamp (use an xacto knife and cut at a 45 deg angle from the bottom of the hole).  You will also need to temporarily wedge something between the front lamp housing and the roof so you can push the bezel on. I cut a short piece of PVC pipe and stuck it on a long rod. You remove the wedge once the unit is snapped into place.

Edited by Don Ridley
insert photo

• 8 months later...

Don,

If the lights already have +12 to them, couldn't you simply tap that and run a ground terminal to the nearest screw to provide push button functionality?  Thinking I may want to do this or something like and what is the best way to do so...

There is only one ground wire. For normal operation it must be connected to the wire that goes from 12v to GND when the doors open. I would need a separate GND on the lights for pushbutton operation. But due to location, I will never need the pushbutton function.

I checked the website and these lights have been discontinued. 

Don,

Thanks for the quick response.  That is what I was thinking, you could tap the +12 for the positive and run a new ground to the nearest grounding location.  Too bad the lights are gone, they look pretty slick.

I only got my TC yesterday, but it has the panoramic roof and I need to decide how best to add some additional lighting.

2016 XLT SWB. Did you option the aircraft rear seat storage bins?

Because my 2014 sales brochure shows them, my 2014 XLT SWB did NOT come with that, nor did my 2017 XLT LWB. I think the 2017 sales brochure shows the bins standard in the Titanium trim IF you don't have the sunroof.

The lights I used are discontinued. I briefly looked for similar ones without success. They mounted nicely and clearance was not a problem. They aren't extremely bright. There must be updated products with bright LEDs somewhere.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I was looking at the situation yesterday with a friend. The SWB liftgate 2014 XLT in question lacks any illumination at the rear. (It's not clear from this thread if there was an option for a lamp there or not, but....)

I was thinking of adding a lamp on the top of the bulge in the liftgate, thus shining into cargo area. This avoids screwing around above the headliner. (Had to do that too often when I did two-way radio installs decades ago....) Comments?

Edited by Usually Befuddled

It is easy to run power to the headliner from the cargo lights on the sides. A light like this will easily mount in the headliner.

https://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/dome-recessed-puck-led-lights/6-inch-rectangular-led-dome-light-fixture-w-chrome-housing-30-watt-equivalent/744/2018/#tab/PhotoViewer

Access to the back section of headliner is no problem.

• 2 weeks later...

Got the lights in that I posted earlier. It's like daylight at night! I have one left to install. I'm waiting for some cool looking buttons so I can have the two over the rear seats turn off and on as maplights in addition to turning on and off when the doors open. 

LOVE THEM! 

19989478_485696648445881_1897226526169728175_n.jpg

On 7/8/2017 at 6:13 PM, Usually Befuddled said:

I was thinking of adding a lamp on the top of the bulge in the liftgate, thus shining into cargo area. This avoids screwing around above the headliner. (Had to do that too often when I did two-way radio installs decades ago....) Comments?

I installed a light on the rear cargo lift area to illuminate the ground and bumper area when the lift gate is up. I think you'll have a problem with trying to illuminate the actual interior cargo area via a light on the cargo lift gate.  It will work and it will look good when you step back and look at it.  But it won't work well when you are standing at the back of the vehicle and trying to see in the cargo area as your body and head will block a good portion of the light.  To really light the interior properly I think you need a couple of lights mounted in the interior and headliner.  You can see my cargo light on my build page.

Edited by Tiller