Ford Transit Connect Forum

2017 Ordered

Hi,

New to the forum. Ordered a 2017 Titanium on 8-14.  Can't track it using Ford Customer tracking because it's built in Spain, apparently.  It now says in production according to my dealer.  Anyone gotten one yet and if so, how long did it take to ship?  We special ordered as this will be turned into a handicap van for our son. 

Thanks,

Rod

Rod,

My Wheelchair Accessible Vehicles (WAV) is in transit to me, hopefully arriving tomorrow from:

Sunset Vans, Inc.

8851 Lakewood Blvd.

Downey, Ca 90240

http://www.sunsetvans.com/TCPackageA-intro.html 

I specked & purchased the Sunset "TC Package A - 2016 Ford Transit Connect XL Wagon with Rear Entry Manual Ramp."

Rear Manual folding Ramp- Counter Balanced

Ramp folds flat inside when no wheelchair in position

Safety Kit, First Aid Kit, Flat Tire Kit, & Fire Extinguisher

2 Front Electric Self Retractable Wheelchair Tie-Downs (Extra Long)

2 Rear Sure-Lok Self Retractable Wheelchair Tie Downs (Titans)

Lap Belt with Retractable Shoulder Belt

3 Person Bench with Patented Forward & Rear Position Adjustment

Conversion Specs:

Front to rear of Tub Cut out- 61 ¼"

Tub width inside- 30 ¼"

Ramp width – 30 1/8"

Ramp length- 52"

Door opening floor to roof- 56 ½"

I worked with Nick Chen (Nick@sunsetvans.com ) extension # 301, almost totally by e-mail because I’m speech impaired. Nick handled all of my newbie questions thoroughly.

I’m 6' 1" tall & the head space on the "TransitWorks" WAV that I tried in a road test was adequate. The foot space was very tight.

Sunset has their Tub, or wheelchair channel, up underneath the rear bench seat so that gives an extra 4"-6" over all the other WAVs. This was my deciding factor.

As your son grows, he’ll need this extra leg room.

If your Titanium has the two rear Bucket Seats instead of the bench seat, that’ll give some extra leg room if your son can lift up his legs. The drawback is that I could never find a WAV converter that offered a WAV in the bucket seat version. However, recently, I ran across a photo in which Assisted Transportation Systems (238 Development Dr. Columbia, KY 42728 ph: 1-877-385-VANS fax: 270-384-2225 alt: 270-384-2220) offered a rear bucket seat WAV.

In addition to the Retractable Tie Downs, I ordered the EZ Lock Wheelchair lock for extra tie down, a bit of overkill maybe but it sounds necessary.

If you’re out west, give them a call if you’ve not yet committed to a WAV converter, I liked Sunset so far but will have to reserve judgement after I use this WAV for several months.

Good luck to you & your son.

So have you enjoyed your noisy A/C?  I didn't realize how much sound the blowers made until yesterday, when I turned the up in 90+ fahrenheit heat.  It worked.  The interior was nice and cool.  The tinted windows helped.  But the noise with driver and second row controls turned up to 4 was unexpected.  Another thing that was notable was the noise that I got when I was on The Bridge, and lowered the second row windows completely with the front row windows closed.  Nothing that I can't live with.  But still a factor in consideration.  Some people don't want the wind in their face, but desire the ventilation from opening the rear windows. 

Thanks for all the responses.  I live in Toledo, OH, and would really like to use Sunset Vans, but the transportation is $1100 each way.  Not very cost effective.  Will look at the Assisted Transportation Systems conversion and see how it is.

Zalienz, did you get the roof glass?

Thanks

Rod

3 hours ago, rstandi said:

Thanks for all the responses.  I live in Toledo, OH, and would really like to use Sunset Vans, but the transportation is $1100 each way.  Not very cost effective.  Will look at the Assisted Transportation Systems conversion and see how it is.

Zalienz, did you get the roof glass?

Thanks

Rod

No, I didn't, mine's a optioned up cargo van, not a wagon. Roof glass only comes with the wagon.

Option up cargo van?  Interesting.  How is the interior?  Is it nicely paneled, upholstered, and insulated?  Did they build it with heating and air conditioning ductwork and controls for the rear?  What about auto glass?  Did they add windows, or are you driving around with steel panels?

I needed space to haul stuff, so I was caught in the decision to buy a Wagon and strip it down, or a Cargo Van and fix it up. I decided to go with the cargo van. But as cargo vans are designed around commercial use, I decided to special order one the way I  wanted it as no dealer carried it on the lot. 95% of cargo vans are white, I wanted black. I also wanted other options that most cargo vans don't come with, like Sync 3 Nav, aluminum wheels, glass in the rear and the sliding doors, tow package, larger mirrors, DRL's, and such. So I "optioned up" the cargo van. I'm working on the rear interior with insulation and paneling, still in the design phase. I also want to add to the audio system, tint the front windows, and other stuff. This van is replacing a 29 year old Toyota truck with 300k miles on it. Just having airbags, Bluetooth and a 4 star safety rating is a huge upgrade. Thanks for listening.

Ah, yes.  just like The 70's.  Build a "Shaggin' Wagon".  A Love Machine.  Wood paneling, 6X9 speakers, and a disco ball.  Far out.

All that I can say on that matter is that my tinted windows have already paid for themselves.  Fold down the 3 seats in the second row, and you've got quite the play space.