Ford Transit Connect Forum

Almost Joined you

So my family has been hunting a replacement for our Jetta Sportwagen since we're going to sell it back to VW as part of the dieselgate scandal.   We really liked the TC since it was not as large as a mini-van but still has the sliding doors and utility of a minivan.   After weeks of researching and at least 4-5 days of negotiation with a dealer that had a 2016 on the lot, I was ready to put down a deposit.   Unfortunately the latch recall  issued earlier this month put a stop-sale on the 2016s and federal law prevents a dealer from selling new (used they can).   

That being said, whats your opinion?  Wait for the recall to be over (4-6 months?)  Order a 2017 (4-6 months? and $3-4K more expensive), or buy a mazda5 (poor safety ratings).  Am I missing any other options here?

For me, the deciding factor on the barn door / lift gate decision was the rear window visibility. Backup cameras are great but when you learned to pull out of parking spots by looking out the back window, that small camera screen is hard to rely on. And a test drive on a van with that big double pillar dead center in the rear view limited visibility too much for my tastes. After the fact I've also come to appreciate the shield when you come out of the grocery store to find it raining. It'll cover both you and your cart so you can take your time loading.

I have the wagon and the Barn Doors were the reason I looked at the TC in the first place. Once you get use to the mirrors and the Back up cam the center post  will not be an issue.

The utility of the back doors is much better .

As for the latch recall lean on the dealer . They want to move that car and will get the latches pretty fast  if they know the sale will go through

A simple camera that needs to be wired, assuming that you already have a screen or device with video input, can be found for less than $20 on Amazon.com.  

Dinly Waterproof High Definition Color Wide Viewing Angle License Plate Car Rear View Camera with 7 Infrared Night Vision LEDby Dinly4.2 out of 5 stars    66 customer reviews | 6 answered questionsPrice: $15.99  | FREE Same-Day Delivered today for FREE with qualifying orders over $35.

Dinly Waterproof High Definition Color Wide Viewing Angle License Plate Car Rear View Camera with 7 Infrared Night Vision LED

by Dinly

Price: $15.99  | FREE Same-Day 
Delivered today for FREE with qualifying orders over $35.

61gw19%2BV--L._SL1200_.jpg

Factory rebates are interesting.  They certainly factor into the final "out the door" price.  Best of luck with getting what you want at a price point that you're comfortable with paying.  Although I've never believed in paying the price on the window sticker.  Some people feel that it is how cars are sold.  Maybe I'm just old fashioned, and I enjoy all the time spent drinking dealership coffee.

I suspect that you have a unique position of advantage at the negotiating table.  Let that dealer know that he could sell you whichever vehicle you want, and you're willing to await for delivery, if you get your price.  Otherwise, you could simply buy another vehicle from another car lot, which has vehicles in stock that you could drive home that same day.  "Gee Mr. Dealership Guy, why should I wait for a release on the 2016, or arrival of the 2017, when I can drive a Honda, Toyota, Dodge, or Mercedes right now?  I'll buy a car from you, that you can't even sell me, only if I can get it for $XX,XXX out the door.  Or I'm walking."

• 1 month later...
13 hours ago, Rockgolem said:

Well, I did end up ordering one I hope its worth the wait.  I'll post up when I get an estimated date of delivery.

Alright!  Good for you!  It will be worth the wait, if you get everything that you ordered.  Obviously, your order is based upon accessories and options.  I get that.  You're not simply buying a car.  You're buying all the stuff you want in the car.  How many features did you add in?  Which goodies did you ask for?  I'm sure you'll have fun playing with all your new toys.  I bet you can't wait.

Me?  I bought a car.  A car with nothing in the car.  An XL model without any add-ons or features.  If I can't live without it, I'll add it myself.  Opinions vary.  I bought a Long Wheel Base Wagon because I'm able to seat 7 people, at a very low price point.  I didn't expect any luxury for what I was paying.  And I knew going in, and confirmed with a test drive, that I was not buying a performance vehicle.  However, it suits my needs for efficiency and economy.  I can get a small group from point A to point B, and at a cost of $10K less than a more luxurious vehicle.  They don't like it?  They want leather seats?  They want Dolby Digital & IMAX screens, with leather, heated, massage chairs?  They can find another ride.

• 6 months later...
On 9/23/2016 at 7:56 PM, mrtn said:

That's why the passenger models have a liftgate and cargo variants come with barn doors. A liftgate would block a forklift access.

You can get either door type with a cargo van. 

You can fit a pallet width wise, but you don't have the load capacity to haul 2,000lbs.

Edited by MLB

Exactly MLB....with a 1600 lb weight limit it requires a light truck tire like the Michelin Defender M/S that has a 1700 lb rating also.  Barn doors work well too.  There's a lot to consider.  :headscratch: