Ford Transit Connect Forum

Rear hatch license plate mounting holes

kookmyers

Here is the part that I don't get.  Why would you go back to the dealership to have your plates installed?

Every car I've ever bought, came with a license plate frame with the dealership name, and a paper "plate" with the dealership logo.  The license plates comes from the Department of Motor Vehicles.  They are mailed from DMV to my house.  I remove whatever screws are holding the dealership advertising, discard the paper plate and plastic frame, and use the same screws to affix the license plates sent from DMV.  It would never be in my thought process to go to the dealership to have plates installed.  And how could the salesman install the wrong screws?  Why didn't he just use the same screws that were already on the vehicle?  Where did he even get the wrong screws from?  Why would someone take the screws off the van, then decide to put different screws on?

Edited by Fifty150

The same thing happened to us.  When we purchased our wagon, the first thing we tried to do when we got home was to remove the cheesy dealership temporary plate cover.  We were able to remove the front, no problem, but when we tried to remove the rear screws, we couldn't get them off the vehicle.  We ended up having to cute the license plate cover to get it off because the screws were stuck. 

We had to take the vehicle to service for a different issue and while there, questioned the service advisor about the rear screws that wouldn't come off.  He inspected them and said that whoever put the dealership advertisement license plate cover on the vehicle used the wrong screws.  He said that when the vehicle is delivered to the dealership, the correct screws are not on the vehicle, they are in a plastic bag inside of the vehicle.  Lazy sales people will just use whatever screws they can find to attach their advertisement.  

I got lucky on where the laziness manifested on mine. I had 3 different types of screws on the four used to attach the front and rear tags. Fortunately, the correct two were used on the rear and I found the remnant bag in the glove compartment after delivery. I wish I had saved the bag, it may have had a size or part number on it. But the front screws into the plastic were 2 different types with the head on one so small that had the plate not been hanging from the screw so the edge was caught as it was tightened it would have gone right through the slot in the plate. And one was slotted and one was phillips. How are you so lazy to not find matching screws but yet still make the job harder by needing multiple different tools?

Since the stock bolts also required a metric socket to remove and I couldn't find matching sized heads on screws to install for the front, I replaced all 4 with stainless steel phillips head fasteners so that you just need one screwdriver instead of a whole tool box just to swap the license plates. It's little design touches like non-matching fasteners that make some jobs a real pain.

While chekcing the fastener size I noticed my custom prined plate frames were fading badly so I decided to remove them. While doing the swap I also added a label under the plate next to the screw holes so if I or the next owner lose one the info will be readily available. Hopefully it will also serve as a caution for clueless service techs in the future. Of course it's no guarantee, I've seen people ignore even larger warning signs that were impossible to miss or misread.

FYI regarding the earlier mention of taking the car to the dealer for installation: Every new car I've bought here in Texas, the DMV sends the plates to the dealer and they call you a week or so later once they arrive. Alhtough I suppose you could have them remailed to your home, it's usually easier to just go pick them up and the dealers have always offered to install them when I go to pick them up.

4 hours ago, DonShockley said:

Every new car I've bought here in Texas, the DMV sends the plates to the dealer and they call you a week or so later once they arrive. Alhtough I suppose you could have them remailed to your home, it's usually easier to just go pick them up and the dealers have always offered to install them when I go to pick them up.

Why do they need to ship the plates separately in a week, don't the DMV have stock just to hand them over to you right away? Minus the wanker plates, of course.

Where I live  if you get a paper plate they mail them to you, if you get a new "Wanker" plate they  mail them to you also.  If you have your own "Wanker" plate you do a transfer. If you do not get the car from an in state dealer you go to the dmv  your self with the paper work.

In CA, when you purchase the vehicle insurance, the insurance company notifies the Department of Motor Vehicles.  Insurance companies here are online with DMV.  And if you cancel your insurance, the insurance company will also notify DMV, and DMV will suspend your registration.  

In CA when a vehicle is purchased, the dealer provides for display, on the lower passenger side of the windshield, a Purchaser's Temporary Operating Copy.  It is simply a piece of paper with the vehicle's VIN, dealer information, purchaser information, and transaction date.  This is valid for 90 days.  DMV is suppose to have license plates issued within that period.  With my current Transit Connect, I've already received the title (pink slip) with the vehicle's license plate number printed on it, and still no physical metal license plates to affix to the vehicle.

I had an Econoline that I drove for 7 months without plates arriving.  Then a small town cop pulled me over, ran the VIN, and the VIN came back "not on file".  The VIN did not even exist in the DMV's database; as if the van was not real.  As I was speaking to the cop, I asked him why he pulled me over, and if there was an observed moving violation or noticeable safety violation since it was a new van.  When he said that he simply wanted to check out a van with paper plates, I responded that it was a new model year vehicle, which is commonly sold, and all are sold without license plates in California; inasmuch as that he had no probable cause to effect a vehicle stop, delay my travel, detain me further, or further violate my civil rights.  Furthermore, he was simply on a fishing expedition, and was now attempting to take a bite of fruit from the poisoned tree.  You can't pull people over just because you don't like the way that they look, or you feel that they don't fit in with the community that you are policing.  Guy in a creepy van look out of place?  Out of place how?  Perhaps he was the wrong race, and you cannot specifically articulate that into your incident report or probable clause declaration?  Wonder what he is up to?  Follow him.  Watch him.  Wait until he actually does something illegal before you pull him over.  Until such time as you observe a violation, or have reasonable suspicion to believe that there was a violation just occurred and a reasonable person would believe that this person was responsible; you've got nothing except a bad feeling about a guy driving by in a creepy van.  ALL vans are creepy.  A new van with paper dealer plates?  All new vans are sold with paper dealer plates, and a lot of vans are sold.  In short, this cop had to let me ride off into the sunset because I convinced him that his career was in jeopardy since I knew as much about his job as he did.  A year went by, and I finally went to the local Highway Patrol office to see a guy that I knew down there.  He laughed when I told him the story.  Then got serious and said that he would look into the matter, to see what the problem was.  Since the VIN did not exist at all, it was not a stolen vehicle.  For whatever reason, the VIN never got into the DMV database, and with bureaucracy in the government offices, it simply got lost.  So I had to get my van weighed, get a smog check, and have the VIN verified......and then wait all over again for the plates which finally showed up a few weeks later. 

Over here, all databases are linked, so a cop drives around and their dash cam automatically picks up vehicles with missing insurance or of some of the registered users of the vehicles is somehow interesting for the cops or anything really.

Plates are mandatory, front and back, so you can't drive even a mile without.

On 9/22/2016 at 6:17 AM, mcap said:

We were able to remove the front, no problem, but when we tried to remove the rear screws, we couldn't get them off the vehicle.  

whoever put the dealership advertisement license plate cover on the vehicle used the wrong screws

My plates came in the mail.  Since I ordered commercial plates, I wanted them on ASAP so that I could start parking in Loading Zones, and drive on streets that are clearly marked for buses, taxis, and commercial vehicles only.  Believe it or not, we have streets that regular cars can't drive on, and it's strictly enforced.  This being The City, it also meant that I get to pay with a credit card.  Well, it's better than no parking spot at all when you're downtown.  

920x1240.jpg920x1240.jpg160318_Curb_1_Web.jpg140703-Haight-Street-30.jpg

Yeah,   some knucklehead put the wrong screws on mine also.  

So a trip to the dealership was in order.  I showed the service advisor what happened, he brought the car into a service bay and showed a bunch of techs, then we all laughed when I told them that it's a nationwide epidemic that is well documented on the internet.  Service Tech told the advisor, "we have to make it right, this guy bought a new car, and this is our fault".  Who was I to argue?  Apparently, in 2014, vehicles were delivered without the proper screws, there was a TSB, and the problem has never worked itself out.

Temporary remedy was to remove the wrong screws (see below), which are commonly used on every other vehicle on the lot, and rivet on my commercial plates so that I can get around and park.  

ford-plate-screws.jpg

Parts are on order, and the dealer will have to drill out the rivets and make it right.  I jokingly said, "why don't you just get me a new door?".  The Service Manager said, "if that's what we'll have to do, but hopefully, we can fix it".  

• Date ReportedFEBRUARY 01, 2014
  • NHTSA Reference#10055577
  • TSB Reference#ASI-44405

Description: FORD: AT TIME OF PRODUCTION AND DELIVERY, THE LICENSE PLATE IS MISSING BOLTS FROM REAR AND SCREWS FROM THE FRONT. MODEL 2014 TRANSIT CONNECT. *PE

KIMG0041.JPG

This van is a world vehicle and has a metric threaded insert in the door, The domestic designs have a plastic insert that takes a Tec screws. The prep tech just wound the tech screws into the holes.  As more world designs arrive they will learn to check.

1 hour ago, G B L said:

This van is a world vehicle and has a metric threaded insert in the door, The domestic designs have a plastic insert that takes a Tec screws. The prep tech just wound the tech screws into the holes.  As more world designs arrive they will learn to check.

The human factor.  Not unique to any one particular dealership.  The same mistake is repeated on a regular basis.  All that extra tech work & parts will add up, and someone will notice.  Sadly,  in some cases, it's at the customer's inconvenience and expense.  I'm certain that depending upon the customer's disposition, and the attitude of the service writer, not every outcome is in the interest of customer service.  I wonder how many owners who did not have sufficient facts and/or knowledge had to pay out of pocket for such a mistake.  I can see it.  Service advisor gets the feeling that they can get away with it because it's a woman, senior, or perhaps an immigrant from another country; so he tells the customer that they stripped the threads and would now have to pay out of pocket for the repair.  Many unscrupulous practices in this world, and a lot of shady people.  Hopefully, someone will gain some knowledge from reading this thread and benefit from it.  Perhaps point it out to the salesman prior to purchase, and get an agreement from the dealership to correct the issue as a condition of purchase.  

• 2 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, mrtn said:

No mobile payment by text or app?

Yes.  You can do that also.   

PayByPhone

Making it easier to pay for parking helps people avoid parking tickets. PayByPhone enables customers to add time without returning to the meter (subject to time limit restrictions), receive a reminder message when time is almost up, and download receipts online. The service provider does not add any additional fee per transaction.

How PayByPhone works

1. Call 866-490-7275 or download the PayByPhone app at paybyphone.com.
  2. After registering, enter the meter location number and desired length of stay.
  3. Meter display will not change (e.g., if the meter was expired, it will still flash “expired” after PayByPhone payment). Parking Control Officers see the payments on their wireless handheld devices.

What it costs
PayByPhone is provided at no cost to the City.  The service provider no longer adds a per transaction to cover costs.

Paying by NFC
Customers with Near Field Communications (NFC) capable smartphones can simply “tap” the NFC logo on the meter to initiate streamlined payment. Once installed at the 28,000 SFMTA and 1,000 Port of San Francisco car and motorcycle metered spaces, this will be the largest single NFC deployment in the world.

Installation Schedule
PayByPhone is now available at most SFMTA meters, and citywide implementation at SFMTA meters  is expected by December, 2012. Customers should look for the PayByPhone decal on the side of the meter.

Have questions about using PayByPhone? 
Please visit http://paybyphone.com/faq/

PayByPhone meter decal, listing phone number (1-866-490-7275) and post ID