Ford Transit Connect Forum

New owner 2016 LWB Titanium

Ordered mid March, received it mid July (I wanted the Titanium but with 3 seats in the middle row hence the special order)

3500 miles, ~26MPG (90% highway) so far

Some advice for potential/actual buyers:

- Titanium is a MUST if you want relative quietness in the car (I got up to 100 mph with it and the only thing I could hear was the wind noise)

- top of the line entertainment is a waste of money, the oldest smartphone is better for navigation and/or playing music

- rear camera is not really a must but the sensors are worth the money (for passenger version; cargo is different)

- if you get remote start, check window autoclose feature immediately upon delivery (if might get screwed in the process)

- check your tire pressure as soon as you get the car (17" on mine with a 42 PSI recommended pressure - 32 PSI warm when I got home)

- roof racks and tow package are cheaper if bought with the car, think ahead if you'll ever need them

- computer shown MPG is ~5% too optimistic while the speedometer is 100% spot on, GPS verified (a bit amazed by this)

- don't believe wikipedia that says the TC has the dual clutch trans, if has the tried/old/trustful 6F35 in it

- if you want extra protection for your engine, get the Mazda 2007 CX-9 oil filter, it has the same dimensions as stock except height - extra filtering surface. And it fits very well

- if you look carefully, you'll notice "the old Ford quality" regarding panel fitting (especially front bumper not aligning with the headlights)

- dashcam users will be a bit disappointed - all 3 electrical sockets work all the time (WTF Ford?); your best bet is "add a fuse" (search Google or Amazon) to a fuse that only works while ignition is on BUT (see next point)

- if you want to access the main fuse panel, you'll have to take out the glove box but if you do that, you'll brake it.

Explanation: on most cars, the glove box either swings really wide or it has two C shaped "things" that clutch two rods and you can just pull it out.

Not here; the C shaped things are in fact all around (like an "O") and if you try to make the glove box swing low enough to access the fuse box, you'll break them

What you need to do is open it until you feel resistance and then with a knife reach behind it and take out the rods that go through them (not easy)

Or a new glove box costs ~$300

- if you think about getting LEDs for rear lights, the only ones that work without errors/problems are the white "reverse"  lights

- the stock halogens are crap, get HIDs and you'll never look back (55W 4300K for best light output and closest to stock color). LEDs still have a long way until they're better (maybe in 3-5 years?)

- S position for the transmission is better than D in most cases (except constant speed on a flat highway)

- all-weather floor mats (Ford, Husky, Weathertech) are totally worth it

- the engine warms up way faster then my other cars but, even at highway speeds, engine temp varies between 87C and 94C regardless of load/AC/outside temp while sitting in traffic, AC on, 36C outside, the coolant temp never passed 96C; I've been living in US for 12 but I still can't get the Fahrenheit scale, sorry!

- Cold air (AC) takes about 5 seconds before coming through the vents (My old 1993 Infiniti G20 is almost instant) and the air temp is not as cold compared to the G20 (about 3C more)

- the inside of the fenders (both front and rear) and the "shield" under the engine are made from some sort of felt (???) unlike any other car I've seen (plastic)

That's about it for now, I might add stuff as I remember. Please ask if you have any questions.

Glad you're enjoying your new ride.  

I agree with you on OEM top of the line stereo systems being a waste of money.  I've always felt that aftermarket systems were nicer and less expensive.  Although it seems that now, more than ever, the head unit is tied into your vehicle's drive experience.  A lot of people depend on the features like the navigation system, Bluetooth hands free speakerphone, and some people even enjoy audio programming.  My "off the rack" vehicle came with an AM/FM radio, and doesn't even have the little display screen above the head unit.  However, I compensated for that with an aftermarket Bluetooth speakerphone & headset with a noise canceling boom mic, plus an Android tablet.  The little computer has a GPS app, plays MP3, and I use a downloaded app that reads the OBD II via Bluetooth to read my vehicle's operating parameters, read diagnostic trouble codes, and reset the check engine light.  

Great that you're getting that kind of mileage.  My driving is entirely in city traffic, with a lot of stop & go, plus idling in park to keep the air conditioning running.  You can only smile as you read that I'm seeing + or - 15 MPG.  I remember that "real time" MPG readout on a test drive.  When you're stopped, it shows zero, and it was between 45 - 99 as I was  on the freeway, feathering the throttle, and allowing the vehicle to coast with my foot off the pedal on downhill grades.  

The "problem" with me is that I rarely listen to anything while driving so the music part doesn't count. Also, the navigation part is really slow/dumb (Sync3 might be better in the 2017) and the traffic updates will only work a few years after the satellite radio subscription expired.

5 hours ago, mrtn said:

Diesel models have a Powershift dual-clutch automatic.

Well, I wish I could get one with diesel and a manual but here in the US we're stuck with a lot less options compared to Europe like the storage bin on top of the dashboard (who doesn't want that in US?)

Getting back to the list:

- the rear liftgate is always locked if the key is in the ignition (Why Ford?)

- the road noise is very loud in the third row to the point that the driver almost has to shout which is weird because anywhere else in quiet

- auto wipers are really nice as soon as you get used to them (and understand how they work), auto headlights not so much

- the third row is held in place by 8 screws (4 per seat) and they are not hard to take out but I wish there was a "thing" to cover the screw holes, otherwise it looks really bad; unless you have a cargo area protector to cover everything

- I wish Ford didn't stop making a cargo security shade for the LWB; At some point I was thinking making my own from either fiberglass or carbon fiber

- the rubber piece at the back of the sliding door (only Titanium have this piece which is glued into place) just started peeling and fell off about a month after buying the car (talking about "the old Ford quality" again)

- MPG is highly dependent on speed (because ... box shape, you know?); compare that to my old Mercury Sable wagon (duratec engine) that got better fuel consumption at 75-80 mph with AC on than at 65-70 mph with no AC

I get like 30+ mpg at 50 mph and under 20 at 90 mph

- the engine is very "asthmatic" past 4k rpm which is weird considering that that's where peak torque is; to me it looks like either the ECU is limiting it or a combination of intake and exhaust being to narrow

- the dual zone climate control is dumb:

in the beginning, the left wheel controls both zones

if you turn the right wheel, you can control the passenger side

if you turn the left wheel, you can control only the driver's side

the only way to get back to "one zone climate control" is by turning off the whole system and then turning it on again (WTF?)

- the entertainment system can connect to your house's wi-fi (or your phone's if you can turn on the hot spot feature) but can not do anything with that connection (like updates, or install apps or even set the time/date)

- the shuffle is not totally random, it just puts your list of files in a random way; same random way all the time

That's it for now, I'll post some more later.

2 hours ago, curiosul said:

Well, I wish I could get one with diesel and a manual but here in the US we're stuck with a lot less options compared to Europe like the storage bin on top of the dashboard (who doesn't want that in US?)

- the dual zone climate control is dumb:

in the beginning, the left wheel controls both zones

if you turn the right wheel, you can control the passenger side

if you turn the left wheel, you can control only the driver's side

the only way to get back to "one zone climate control" is by turning off the whole system and then turning it on again (WTF?)

Just wanted to suggest the source for the dual clutch information.

Regarding the dual zone CC: this is normal UI, my two different Japanese vehicles act exactly the same, both also have "DUAL" button or just press "AUTO" to restore dual control from the driver side. Don't know about the Connect as mine has a manual dial A/C.

23 hours ago, curiosul said:

- check your tire pressure as soon as you get the car (17" on mine with a 42 PSI recommended pressure - 32 PSI warm when I got home)

- the stock halogens are crap, get HIDs and you'll never look back (55W 4300K for best light output and closest to stock color). LEDs still have a long way until they're better (maybe in 3-5 years?)

My air pressure was also at 32 and I didn't realize it until after a 100 mile trip to the mountains.  :(

Sorry to be lazy.  Do you have an example part number?

18 hours ago, mrtn said:

Just wanted to suggest the source for the dual clutch information.

Regarding the dual zone CC: this is normal UI, my two different Japanese vehicles act exactly the same, both also have "DUAL" button or just press "AUTO" to restore dual control from the driver side. Don't know about the Connect as mine has a manual dial A/C.

My wife's Mazda3 has a button in the middle of the passenger's dial

You press it - you "disconnect" the zones; then you can select your own temp

You press it again - you "connect" them back

You press it again, the passenger side goes back to the previous temp (it remembers)

About the dual clutch ... I was at the dealer (for other things) and talking to mechanics, the "rumor" is that the dual clutch is not strong enough for the weight of the TC

11 hours ago, kookmyers said:

My air pressure was also at 32 and I didn't realize it until after a 100 mile trip to the mountains.  :(

Sorry to be lazy.  Do you have an example part number?

H11 for low beam, fog and cornering light

H9 for high beams

Just to test the waters, I'll consider putting LEDs on the high beams and/or fog lights (If they break or I don't like them, no big deal)

Back to the list again:

- very small and badly shaped box between the front seats (long on top + short on the bottom = inclined wall that would squish stuff as you fill it) plus all the connectors are on the bottom (line-in, usb, SD card) W T F ? ? ?

- huge space under the dash right in the middle (under the gear shifter) covered by panels

From what I've seen there's not much "in there" making it a wasted space

- front seats are too far from the doors; add the previous point, move the gear shifter higher and there will be enough space for 3 seats in the front. Who doesn't want that?

- previous generation had the last row of windows able to swing out; why not this one, Ford?

- no reclining/sliding second row but the third row reclines and slides.

Most comfortable position in the car (even for tall adults) is the third row reclined all the way and the second row seat in front of it folded (but not pushed down). I would dare to compare it to first class in airplanes.

So, third row is the most comfortable as far as body position but the most uncomfortable as far as road noise???

- because the vista roof is fixed (it doesn't need to slide somewhere) they could have made it longer towards the back and then it would have been perfect (maybe they couldn't because of the roll-cage or maybe structural problems with a piece of glass that big?). Plus, there's an almost one foot of glass towards the front that can't be seen from inside (wasted?)

- disappointing turning radius. Maybe the SWB is (way) better?

- small gas tank (15 gallons); considering how heavy the car is already, making it 20 or so, wouldn't have made such a big difference

- Continental ProContact instead of 2015's PureContact. Ford saved like $12 (according to tirerack) by choosing a worse tire (less grip in ALL conditions especially snow, more rolling resistance, less treadwear rating).

- 2" instead of 1 1/4" receiver for towing. For 2000lbs tow rating ...

1: Overkill

2: Impractical for cargo baskets or bike racks (most of them made for the smaller one hence needing size adapters)

- the heated windshield ... I had to have it but until the winter comes I'm not too sure it was worth it. Yes, it might defrost/thaw the windshield faster than anything else (for a few months a year) but I can see it (year-round). It's not bad but it's there. It's there at night crating a haze from incoming traffic, it's there during a sunny day, it's there when I try to take a picture with my phone through the windshield (yes, the phone focused on the wires, not the thing I wanted to take picture of). To be honest, I haven't checked my dashcam videos, I just hope it's better than the phone's

That's about it (I think). Basically it's a very nice car (the only 7 passenger vehicle I would daily drive) that could be so much better if Ford engineers spent a bit more time over the details. Ford, are you reading this?

Great list curiosul. I don't have the Titanium pkg or LWB but I agree with most of your observations. I tried the "S" gear selection and it does seem to auto shift different from "D" . I had no idea. I hope I really appreciate the quick clear window windshield this winter, otherwise it will be replaced with a normal windshield.

I disagree about the 2" receiver. I can swap bike racks from truck to van and I like the versatility of the 2" format. 

Engineering is the art of compromise. We like this van for its utility and affordability. I can only imagine the wish-list of features that could not meet the product cost requirements. However, the lack of pockets around the dash is frustrating. 

On 9/20/2016 at 8:03 AM, curiosul said:

- move the gear shifter higher and there will be enough space for 3 seats in the front. Who doesn't want that?

Most comfortable position in the car (even for tall adults) is the third row recline all the way and the second row seat in front of it folded (but not pushed down). I would dare to compare it to first class in airplanes.

So, third row is the most comfortable as far as body position but the most uncomfortable as far as road noise???

- small gas tank (15 gallons); considering how heavy the car is already, making it 20 or so, wouldn't have made such a big difference

-

That's about it (I think). Basically it's a very nice car (the only 7 passenger vehicle I would daily drive) that could be so much better if Ford engineers spent a bit more time over the details. Ford, are you reading this?

That gear shift lever should be column mounted.  A column mount gear shift opens up the entire center console.  It can be done.  They do it for the police package cars to make room for the MDT, radio rack, and lights & siren controls.  

B9316204240Z.1_20150210184844_000_G7M9U2

I'm currently driving my vehicle with the front passenger seat folded forward, middle row seats folded down, with my dad sitting in the 3rd row passenger side because that is how he likes it.  Sort of gives him a very unique view and ride.  He likes to look over his shoulder and guide me into parking spaces.  Human backup camera and sensor.  The owners manual says not to do this.  But he doesn't care.

In some vehicles, you can get an aftermarket fuel tank for extra capacity.  I don't know what the sales numbers are for the Transit Connect.  However, in my area, everybody is driving them.  City & County, corporate fleet, private service contractors, livery, and me.  So it seems like a lot of units are selling.  I am wondering why there isn't more of an aftermarket.  Popular cars tend to have a lot of aftermarket support.  Weren't there tricked out Transit Connects @ SEMA?  Somebody should contact one of the fuel tank vendors to see if they can start production on something for us.  After all, they have already redesigned a mobility ramp and fuel tank combo.  Perhaps we can get something with 25 gallons.  

Ford%20tanks.jpg?w=568Transit%20Connect%20Tank.jpg?w=343

Transfer Flow’s engineers designed the fuel tank, drop floor and ramp assembly for the Ford Transit Connect mobility van.

Transit%20Connect%20Van%20Back.jpg?w=343

I think Ford engineers should spend a little more time driving the vehicles they design.  Then there wouldn't be junk like the Fiesta, or that dual clutch transmission.  Maybe we will get an Ecoboost V6 in the Mustang that will go faster than the 5.0.  Has anyone else seen the Ecoboost V6 build in a Pantera by Gas Monkey Garage? 

I would like to see the LWB be able to carry a 4'X8' piece of sheetrock or plywood between the wheel wells, front seats, and rear door.  Maybe even a roof rack system that can accommodate more than 165 lbs.  

seat.jpg

roof.jpg

My list consists mostly of two kind of "problems". I think.

One kind comes from my (weird) preferences regarding cars (none of my friends agree with me regarding car tastes)

The second kind (mostly rhetorical questions toward Ford engineers) reflects the realities of this model brought to US:

A cargo carrying van (well designed for that)

That was adapted to carry passengers (still relatively well designed) and to be sold all over the world (but mainly in Europe)

Then it was brought to US. That's where the problems start:

Diesels? no

Stick shift? no

3 seats in the front? hell no, have you seen the average 'murikan?

Bigger gas tank because we put thirstier engine? why bother?

There's the third category, the "too costly to be implemented" type but I don't think it accounts for a lot.

I would put the (new) tire choice in this category, but $12? Really?

9 hours ago, T0ASTERvan said:

@curiosul 

The TC defiantly appeals to a small group of drivers 

You're right about that.  If I need something with better payload, I would surely buy a van with more payload.  If I want more power, I would buy a car that is faster.  

In my case, I knew going in, that I was not getting a quick car.  Test drives confirmed it's lack of pedal power.  It suited my needs to carry more than 2 people (i.e. cab of pickup truck or little Honda which nobody fits in the back seat), and the little four cyclinder was sure to be more fuel efficient than other multi-passenger vehicles with bigger engines.  Of course being frugal, the pricing appealed to me as well.  If I had wanted something nicer, I could have spent a lot more money.  So shortcomings aside, I sort of got what I paid for.  It's like eating in a cheap Chinese restaurant.  You don't expect or get 5 star service or food.

• 2 months later...